2D-Deconvolution

Chris Tully Chris Tully

Re: A microscope on Mars?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Andrew,

Have you looked at the Nikon Perfect Focus system or the Olympus ZDC?  These are both laser based systems that reflect an IR laser off the cover glass of your sample and maintain focus not based on image analysis but based on reading the reflected laser beam.  For the system you've described, I'd want to couple one of these with a software or hardware solution for finding the best focused plane based on image analysis and then trigger the laser system to maintain that position.

Chris Tully

On 8/28/07, Andrew Resnick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
As far as autofocus capabilities, there are some manufacturers that claim to have it- Nikon's setup for TIRF also comes to mind.  I've been on a personal mission at trade shows to (gently) berate the manufacturers to come up with a solution for focus drift due to thermal fluctuations- the hardware exists, the missing link is a decent software feedback loop.  None have expressed interest, the typical excuse being that thermal fluctuations have nothing to do with the optical performance of the microscope, and thus is not their problem.

Another capability I lobby for is the ability to acquire fast z-stacks- the camera should be the limiting rate.  Again, it's primarily a software issue and it's seen as a niche application.

As for pre-setting the alignment of the optics, my point wasn't that it is/was not possible, my point was that we didn't have the time to solve that particular issue in addition to the thousands of other issues.  Like any large project, what was needed was to recognize that not every problem could be solved, and to prioritize the issues. That wasn't done, so no problem got solved.

Andy

At 07:52 AM 8/26/2007, you wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
This is really fascinating, and it's a crying shame that the project didn't get off the
ground.  It's also a classic example of how NASA is brilliant in spending huge sums
of money just to stuff things up.  (At the time of writing this I don't know whether the
latest Shuttle crew has safely returned to Earth or not, knowing that their heat shield
tiles have been holed by foam from the fuel tanks)

In terms of the design features, widefield autofocus has been available for years but
I can't vouch for the situation back in 1999.  I would have thought that for such a
tightly specified sample, Koehler illumination could have been preset, and likewise
I'd have thought that a suitably rugged phase contrast condenser would not require
re-aligning in orbit.   But 2 litres of immersion oil still worries me!

Andrew, this is a most extraorinarily fascinating story, and I do hope that even
if the microscope didn't fly some useful land-based improvements to automated
microscopy flowed on from it.

                                                                                                                  Guy

Re: A microscope on Mars? ... autofocus ancient history

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Ludl had a functional video autofocus circuit in their Z-motor board for the MAC2000 back in circa 1992. Jeff Price and many others have been publishing microscope autofocus routines for a decade+. NASA is brilliant in wasting huge sums of money.

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal As far as autofocus capabilities, there are some manufacturers that claim to have it- Nikon's setup for TIRF also comes to mind.  I've been on a personal mission at trade shows to (gently) berate the manufacturers to come up with a solution for focus drift due to thermal fluctuations- the hardware exists, the missing link is a decent software feedback loop.  None have expressed interest, the typical excuse being that thermal fluctuations have nothing to do with the optical performance of the microscope, and thus is not their problem.

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Ok, here goes.  I apologize in advance for the length; it's just a sign of how committed I was to the project.

At 10:42 AM 8/24/2007, you wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at  http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
I agree, this is an excellent thread…

Alice Rodriguez, Ph.D.
Duke University
Rm 4331 French Family Science Center
Science Drive
Dept of Biology/DCMB Box 90338
Durham NC 27708

Please don't. It may not be what we think about every day but IMHO it's a very interesting thread.

Evelyn Ralston, Ph.D.
Head, Light imaging Section,
Office of Science and Technology, NIAMS, NIH
Rm 1535, Bldg 50
Bethesda MD 20892-8023

tel 301-496-6164; FAX 301-402-2724

On Aug 24, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Andrew Resnick wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal I don't want to bore everyone on this list,  so I'll take this offline.

Andy

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal My prior job was with a NASA contractor, our project was to put a full-featured microscope (brightfield, darkfield, phase contrast, DIC, confocal, laser tweezers, spectrophotometry, interferometry, oil immersion) onto the space station for (initially) 4 condensed-matter experiments, and later for biology.  Because of safety regulations, the microscope could not be operated by astronauts- they were to simply load a sample, close the door, and the machine would do its thing. You cannot imagine how difficult it is to automate a microscope- the oil immersion alone was a nightmare.  In the end, we were unable to pull it off.

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal A thought just occurred to me while reading a CNN news article about the planet Mars: Why not send an automated microscope with a robotic lander to look for life there in the soil? Surely more sophisticated instruments have been sent to Mars. Has NASA or any other space agency ever considered this kind of approach? Just curious.

--
Robert J. Palmer Jr., Ph.D.
Natl Inst Dental Craniofacial Res - Natl Insts Health
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch
Bldg 30, Room 310
30 Convent Drive
Bethesda MD 20892
ph 301-594-0025
fax 301-402-0396

Andrew Resnick, Ph. D.
Instructor
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
Case Western Reserve University
216-368-6899 (V)
216-368-4223 (F)

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
305-243-8436 office

Peter Drain Peter Drain

Re: A microscope on Mars?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

I second Andrew's lobby for imaging acquisition software vendors to acquire z-stacks at rates that make the camera rate limiting.
This should be a standard for the popular 512 x 512 EM-CCD cameras and those software packages designed to run these cameras, yet is surprisingly commonly lacking. Once the overhead problems are resolved by all vendors (some vendors already have in fact), the data throughput to hard drives should be made more durable. It seems the latter will be well-accommodated once 64 bit technology becomes more common. This area of confocal microscopy is fundamental to its applications in live-cell biology (not a niche application at least here at all) and such acquisition rates are not only needed now but will need to increment with the technical capability improvements in the cameras and with the complexity of the scientific problems being studied over the years.

Peter Drain, PhD
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology
Room 323, Biomedical Science Tower South
3500 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA   15261
Phone: 412 648 9412
Email:              [hidden email]

At 07:52 AM 8/26/2007, you wrote:
[...]

Andrew Resnick Andrew Resnick

Re: A microscope on Mars? ... autofocus ancient history

I debated responding to this, but the last sentence is too tempting-
I'll take the bait.

Since the majority of people on this list receive government funding
either for their instrumentation, salary, or both, I think we should
all be a lot more careful in claiming that other science agencies are
wasteful (or more wasteful) in expenditures.  All NASA funded
projects are peer reviewed, and all large projects are "brilliant in
wasting huge sums of money".

As for the specific suggestion, let me put it like this: I am putting
together a puzzle, and a single piece is missing.  What costs less:

1) custom making my own piece
2) accepting some random ill-fitting piece, and re-cutting the entire
puzzle to accept the proffered item?

Andy

At 06:16 PM 8/28/2007, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>Ludl had a functional video autofocus circuit in their Z-motor board
>for the MAC2000 back in circa 1992. Jeff Price and many others have
>been publishing microscope autofocus routines for a decade+. NASA is
>brilliant in wasting huge sums of money.
>

>At 10:56 AM 8/28/2007, you wrote:
>>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal As far as
>>autofocus capabilities, there are some manufacturers that claim to
>>have it- Nikon's setup for TIRF also comes to mind.  I've been on a
>>personal mission at trade shows to (gently) berate the
>>manufacturers to come up with a solution for focus drift due to
>>thermal fluctuations- the hardware exists, the missing link is a
>>decent software feedback loop.  None have expressed interest, the
>>typical excuse being that thermal fluctuations have nothing to do
>>with the optical performance of the microscope, and thus is not their problem.
>>
>>Another capability I lobby for is the ability to acquire fast
>>z-stacks- the camera should be the limiting rate.  Again, it's
>>primarily a software issue and it's seen as a niche application.
>>
>>As for pre-setting the alignment of the optics, my point wasn't
>>that it is/was not possible, my point was that we didn't have the
>>time to solve that particular issue in addition to the thousands of
>>other issues.  Like any large project, what was needed was to
>>recognize that not every problem could be solved, and to prioritize
>>the issues. That wasn't done, so no problem got solved.
>>
>>Andy

Andrew Resnick, Ph. D.
Instructor
Department of Physiology and Biophysics