CCD camera

Alice L. Givan Alice L. Givan

CCD camera

We would like to add a color CCD camera to our Zeiss LSM-510 META confocal to capture color tiled wide field images.  We wondered if other users have already done this?  What cameras did you add and how well does the LSM 510 software control the image acquisition with the camera you are using?  We are particularly interested in tiled images.

We have a PixeLINK model PL-A662 color CCD camera on a separate stereo scope.  We are told that this camera would not work with the LSM-510.  Does anyone have any contrary information about this?

Thanks for your  help.

Alice

Alice L. Givan
Englert Cell Analysis Laboratory
of the Norris Cotton Cancer Center
Dartmouth Medical School
Lebanon, NH 03756 USA
tel 603-650-7661
fax 603-650-6130
[hidden email]
www.dartmouth.edu/~celllab
Csucs Gabor Csucs Gabor

Re: CCD camera

Hello Alice,

As far as I know the LSM510 software can control only the Zeiss
Axiovision cameras (for sure it does so with the monochromatic one).
Whether it can control also the color ones - I have no idea. If you want
to stick with your camera - you should consider buying a separate image
acquisition software (or use a freeware). There would be no problem to
install it on the LSM 510 computer (so you don't need an additional
computer) and many software can control the Zeiss MCU28 stage controller
and also the motorized Zeiss microscopes (and is of course capable of
doing tile scans....).

Cheers    Gabor

--
Gabor Csucs
Light Microscopy Centre, ETH Zurich

Web: www.lmc.ethz.ch
Phone: +41 44 633 6221
Fax: +41 44 632 1298
e-mail: [hidden email]
Xuejun Sun Xuejun Sun

Re: CCD camera

Hi, Alice,

We did not use the Zeiss camera. However, we had a similar need long time
ago as some one tried to correlate histology with immunofluorescence. Here
was how we got by (without a camera): use your red, green and blue laser
lines and set up a sequential scanning configuration with your transmitted
detector. You can get a pseudo-color image which might need some tweaking
(mostly gamma) by the end. Most importantly, you can just use the tilscan
function of your LSM and get your color tiled images. If you calibrate the
stage, you can get a reasonable tiled image out of it. But I think Zeiss
software limits the final frame size (in term of number of pixels).

It has been a long time we did this and I might forget some details. Initial
setting up (gain/offset of the detector) was a bit pain in term of getting
correct colors. But once set, you can reuse it and tweak the final image in
photoshop. Additionally, If I recall correctly, one critical thing is to
remove DIC optics from the optical path or you might get a gradient in your
tiled image.

Good luck,

Xuejun

Xue-jun Sun, Ph.D.
Dept. Exp. Oncology
Cross Cancer Institute
11560 University Ave,
Edmonton Alberta T6G 1Z2
Canada
Phone: (780) 432-8898
Fax:     (780) 432-8425

unauthorized and may be illegal.
Glyn Nelson Glyn Nelson

Re: CCD camera

Xuejun is right, this works well to produce a pseudo colour transmission
image.  We have used it to obtain detailed high resolution images of
histological sections (our normal widefield not having as nice
objectives).  The normal tilescan does limit you to 4096 x 4096 pixels I
think, but you can overcome this by using the tilescan feature in the
multitime macro if you have a motorised stage.

Glyn.