CRC Press Books on Image Processing

Fred Mast Fred Mast

CRC Press Books on Image Processing

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear Listserv,

I am wondering if anyone here has read through, or has in their possession copies of the following texts:

Introduction to Image Processing and Analysis. John Russ. CRC Press
The Image Processing Handbook. Fifth Edition. John Russ. CRC Press
Blind Image Deconvolution: Theory and Applications. Patrizio Campisi and Karen Egiazarian. CRC Press
Digital Color Imaging Handbook. Gaurav Sharma. CRC Press

We have some credits through a recent promotion from one of our suppliers to receive some materials from CRC Press and these titles were of interest to me. Any recommendations would be appreciated and can be sent to me directly.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Mast
Department of Cell Biology
University of Alberta
Medical Sciences Building 5-14
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7
Canada
Tel 1-780-492-7407

cromey cromey

Re: CRC Press Books on Image Processing

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Fred,

I have the third edition of Dr. Russ’ Image Processing Handbook and I highly recommend it.  I’m not an engineer, yet I find the text to be very readable and the illustrations are very well done.

Dr. Russ also wrote a very nice series of articles for the RMS entitled “Seeing the Scientific Image” that I often recommend to people.  John hosts a copy on his website at:  http://www.drjohnruss.com/downloads/seeing.pdf

No financial interest.

Doug

Douglas W. Cromey, M.S. - Assistant Scientific Investigator

Dept. of Cell Biology & Anatomy, University of Arizona

1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ  85724-5044 USA

office:  AHSC 4212         email: [hidden email]

voice:  520-626-2824       fax:  520-626-2097

http://swehsc.pharmacy.arizona.edu/exppath/

B. Prabhakar Pandian B. Prabhakar Pandian

Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

Hello,
          Can anyone educate me on the choice of Poly-L-Lysine vs
Poly-D-Lysine for coating glass slides for cell culture. I can
understand where we need fibronectin/collagen etc,
but have been unable to find a good source on coating and cell culture.

Thanks,

-Prabhakar
Gabriel Lapointe Gabriel Lapointe

Re: Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

L-lysine is the natural form of the amino acide. So poly-L-lysine can be
recognized by some protease secreted in the media, wherease
poly-D-lysine would be resistant. Therefore, in theory, poly-D-lysine
should last longer in culture.

Gabriel Lapointe

B. Prabhakar Pandian wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hello,
>          Can anyone educate me on the choice of Poly-L-Lysine vs
> Poly-D-Lysine for coating glass slides for cell culture. I can
> understand where we need fibronectin/collagen etc,
> but have been unable to find a good source on coating and cell culture.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Prabhakar

Jeffrey L. Travis Jeffrey L. Travis

Re: Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

I always assumed that poly-L-lysine was used primarily because it would
not be hydrolyzed by  proteinases and peptidases (e.g. trypsin) that are
generally specific for naturally occurring D- amino acids.
John Oreopoulos John Oreopoulos

Re: CRC Press Books on Image Processing

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi Fred, I too have the book that Doug mentioned and I would recommend it as well, especially the latest edition.

John Oreopoulos, BSc,
PhD Candidate
University of Toronto
Institute For Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
Centre For Studies in Molecular Imaging

Tel: W:416-946-5022

On 23-Oct-07, at 11:38 AM, Doug Cromey wrote:

[...]

mmodel mmodel

Re: Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

"Why are the dishes coated with poly-d-lysine (instead of
poly-l-lysine)?

Both untreated glass and cells are negatively charged. Poly-lysine is
applied to the glass surface to make it positively charged, thereby
increasing electrostatic attraction between the glass surface and the
cells and thus favoring cell attachment. Poly-d-lysine is favored
because the d-enantiomer is less prone to protease-mediated breakdown
than the naturally-occurring l-enantiomer. Otherwise, Poly-d-Lysine and
Poly-l-Lysine are equivalent."

(http://www.glass-bottom-dishes.com/faq.html#whypolyd)

-Prabhakar
Masur, Sandra Masur, Sandra

Re: Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

Also - when used in an experiment comparing cells plated on ECM like
fibronectin or collagen to which they adhere using integrins, the
adhesion of cells to poly-l-lysine is an index of non-integrin
dependent adhesion.
On Oct 23, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Jeffrey L. Travis wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I always assumed that poly-L-lysine was used primarily because it
> would not be hydrolyzed by  proteinases and peptidases (e.g.
> trypsin) that are generally specific for naturally occurring D-
> amino acids.
Tobias Baskin Tobias Baskin

Re: Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

Is a polymer available with a 50/50 mixture of L and D lysine?
Presumably having charges on alternate sides of the peptide, it might
possess a more favorable spatial pattern of charges compared to the
homo polymer. Just a wild speculation.

        Tobias

--
       _      ____          __   ____
      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \        Tobias I. Baskin
Voice: 413 - 545 - 1533 Fax: 413 - 545 - 3243

Obviously it is wrong.  Sorry!
B. Prabhakar Pandian B. Prabhakar Pandian

Re: Poly-L-Lysine vs Poly-D-Lysine

Thanks for helping me out with your suggestions.

Jeffrey L. Travis wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> OMG!  I can't believe I wrote this:
>
> "I always assumed that poly-L-lysine was used primarily because it
> would not be hydrolyzed by  proteinases and peptidases (e.g. trypsin)
> that are generally specific for naturally occurring D- amino acids.""
>
> Obviously it is wrong.  Sorry!

B. Prabhakar Pandian
CFD Research Corporation
Biomedical Technology