Coherent Chameleon Ultra II vs Spectra Physics MaiTai HP

P. Muller P. Muller

Coherent Chameleon Ultra II vs Spectra Physics MaiTai HP

Dear all,

We consider buying a new Ti:Sa Laser for multiphoton imaging. The choice is going to be either spectra physic's maitai hp or coherent's chameleon ultra ii.
In the past, we have gained experienced with models from both big brands, coherent and spectra physics. For us, the coherent chameleon ultra ii worked flawlessly with only one minor hiccup in 7 years (which was swiftly fixed throughout a remote session). On the other hand, the spectra physics maitai hp was a source of ongoing and never ending trouble.
Can you elaborate a bit on your experiences with ultrafast lasers? I would be especially interested in
- Which brand and model do you own?
- Are you overall satisfied?
- Have you purchased an extended warranty?
- Since when is the laser in use?
- How many hours do the diodes have?
- Do you run your laser continuously or shut it down over the night/weekend/holidays?
- Have there been issues with the laser? If so, what issues and have those issues been fixed once and for all? How long did the service need to fix the issue?

Thank you!
Peter