Freezing fluorophores

Fredrik Wermeling Fredrik Wermeling

Freezing fluorophores

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Hi,

What’s your opinion about freezing fluorescently conjugated antibodies? I know for example that the Qdots are destroyed by freezing, but how about others?

/fredrik

--------------------------------------
Fredrik Wermeling, PhD-student
Karolinska Institutet
Department of Medicine
Unit of Clinical Allergy Research
L2:04 Karolinska Hospital
SE-171 76 Stockholm
Sweden

phone: +46-8-51776696
mail: [hidden email]
fax: +46-8-335724
--------------------------------------

Martin Wessendorf-2 Martin Wessendorf-2

Re: Freezing fluorophores

Fredrik Wermeling wrote:

> What’s your opinion about freezing fluorescently conjugated antibodies?
> I know for example that the Qdots are destroyed by freezing, but how
> about others?

Dear Fredrik--

In my experience, freezing is almost always bad.  The signal-to-noise
ratio of the secondary antibodies that I use (C2, Cy3 and Cy5
conjugates) goes from being superb to being poor with one freeze-thaw
cycle.

The problem with freezing appears to be denaturation of the IgG to which
they're conjugated.  The explanation that I've heard is that as an
antibody solution freezes, the pure water crystallizes first.  What
remains has a higher concentration of salts.  As freezing progresses,
the concentration of salt in the liquid fraction becomes higher and
higher, ultimately resulting in denaturation of the protein present in
that fraction.

By that logic, if you need to freeze, very rapid freezing should be
better than slow freezing.

As an alternative to freezing, you can store your antibodies at -20 C
without freezing by diluting them 1:1 in glycerol.  (That trick comes
from Bill Stegeman at Jackson.)  In my experience that works well.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
**MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED.  PLEASE USE [hidden email]**
Julian Smith III Julian Smith III

Re: Freezing fluorophores

We aliquot and freeze our dye-conjugated secondaries at -20 (not a
frost-free freezer, but real -20C) all the time.  They last for at
least a year under these conditions, and in most cases, several years.
Julian

--
Julian P.S. Smith III
Dept. of Biology

803-323-2111 x6427 (vox)
803-323-3448 (fax)
803-524-2347 (cell)
Mullen, Steven Francis (UMC-Student) Mullen, Steven Francis (UMC-Student)

FW: Freezing fluorophores

Martin is probably correct in his description of the potential damage of
freezing on antibodies.

When one assesses a phase diagram for NaCl, the salt concentration will
go from ~ 0.15 Molar (in an isotonic solution)  to about 4 Molar when
freezing to -20. The concentration will increase further at lower
temperatures.

Adding the glycerol at 50% will prevent ice crystallization and not
allow the freeze-concentration of the salts (and any other solutes), at
least up to certain temperatures and cooling rates. I routinely freeze
conjugated antibodies in a -80 freezer after adding 50% glycerol with no
apparent loss in function (however, I do not use a wide variety of
antibodies and conjugates, so this may not be universal). However, the
colligative effect of glycerol should be universal.

Withough "running the numbers" (i.e. do the calculations), the rate of
freezing may not matter in 50% glycerol. I don't have a phase diagram
for glycerol/NaCl/H2O handy, but the homogenous nucleation temperature
of such a solution is likely to be very low, perhaps even below -80.
Hence, one should expect no ice formation in such a solution. My
antibody aliquots appear liquid when I pull them out of the -80, but I
can't tell visually if any ice has formed. What appears to be the case
is that, if any ice does form, it is very little. I doubt if any ice
forms at -20.

It would be an interesting exercise to use first principles and
calculate how much glycerol is needed to prevent ice formation at -20
(should be less than 50%) and test that against no glycerol, or a
dilution series of glycerol and determine at what salt concentration one
begins to see failure of the immunochemistry reaction. Sounds like a
nice science fair project.

For those interested in learning more about the use of phase diagram
information to predict solution composition during freezing of
biological samples, and how this was done successfully to predict the
loss of red blood cells as a function of glycerol concentration, refer
to the original papers by Lames Lovelock:

[1] J.E. Lovelock, The denaturation of lipid-protein complexes as a
cause of damage by freezing. The Proceedings of the Royal Society of
London B 147 (1957) 427-434.
[2] J.E. Lovelock, The haemolysis of human red blood cells by freezing
and thawing. Biochim Biophys Acta 10 (1953) 414-426.
[3] J.E. Lovelock, The mechanism of the protective action of glycerol
against haemolysis by freezing and thawing. Biochim Biophys Acta 11
(1953) 28-36.

...and the following paper is a nice review of the utility of phase
diagrams in cryobiology:

[1] F.H. Cocks, and W.E. Brower, Phase diagram relationships in
cryobiology. Cryobiology 11 (1974) 340-58.

Steven F. Mullen  Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The University of Missouri
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology
Cryobiology Laboratory
E124 Vet Med
1600 E Rollins St
Columbia MO 65201
Phone: 573-882-5506
Fax: 573-884-7521
[hidden email]

Fredrik Wermeling wrote:

> [...]

that fraction.

By that logic, if you need to freeze, very rapid freezing should be
better than slow freezing.

As an alternative to freezing, you can store your antibodies at -20 C
without freezing by diluting them 1:1 in glycerol.  (That trick comes
from Bill Stegeman at Jackson.)  In my experience that works well.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
Minneapolis, MN  55455
**MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED.  PLEASE USE [hidden email]**
Marc Thibault Marc Thibault

Re: Freezing fluorophores

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi,
by keeping them at 4C and opening the tubes in the sterile hood and using sterile tips, we manage to keep them functional for a year or so.
Marc

Marc Thibault, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Fellow
NSERC/Biosynthech Chair in Hybrid Biomaterials
for Innovative Regenerative Technologies
Department of Chemical Engineering
Ecole Polytechnique
Montreal, Qc, Canada
514 340 4711 (4781)

Rosemary.White Rosemary.White

Re: Freezing fluorophores

We have the same experience as Julian - fluorescently-tagged antibodies in
2-5 microlitre aliquots frozen at -80 have lasted fine since I bought them
in 2000 with no perceptible increase in background though some decrease in
staining intensity.
cheers,
Rosmeary

Rosemary White                    [hidden email]
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     61 (0)2-6246 5475
GPO Box 1600                       fax.     61 (0)2-6246 5334
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia