Graphing filter/fluorphore spectra...

Jennifer Waters Jennifer Waters

Graphing filter/fluorphore spectra...

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
What is your favorite online program for graphing filter & fluorophore spectra?  I currently use:

http://fluorescence.nexus-solutions.net/frames6.htm

Best, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School
Valeria Berno Valeria Berno

Re: Graphing filter/fluorphore spectra...

Hi,

I think the best I ever found is the Molecular probes one

http://probes.invitrogen.com/resources/spectraviewer/

no commercial interest

valeria

> What is your favorite online program for graphing filter & fluorophore
> spectra?  I currently use:
>
> http://fluorescence.nexus-solutions.net/frames6.htm
>
> Best, Jennifer
>
> --
> Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
> Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School

Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: Graphing filter/fluorphore spectra...

Jennifer,

I like the search function of the Bio-Rad database, but the layout is
not very intuitive. That's why I usually prefer the one from Invitrogen,
even if the simple fluorophore list is horoble:

http://probes.invitrogen.com/resources/spectraviewer/

But these one's are also nice:

http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/index.html

http://www.bdbiosciences.com/spectra/

cheers,
Michael

Dries Vercauteren Dries Vercauteren

Re: Graphing filter/fluorphore spectra...

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear all,

the ones I know and use are;

and of course the Mol Probes one;

Cheers,

Dries.

[hidden email]

On 15/01/2008, Jennifer Waters <[hidden email]> wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
What is your favorite online program for graphing filter & fluorophore spectra?  I currently use:

Best, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School

--
Dries Vercauteren, PhD student
Master of Bioscience Engineering: Cell and Gene Biotechnology

Ghent Research Group on Nanomedicines
www.ugent.be/fw/en/research/biofys
Faculty of pharmaceutical sciences, Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72, 9000 Ghent
Belgium

Phone:  +329/264 80 49
Mobile: +32485/30 69 80
E-mail: [hidden email]
           [hidden email]
Armstrong, Brian Armstrong, Brian

I stand corrected!

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

I use; in this order;

http://probes.invitrogen.com/resources/spectraviewer/

http://www.bdbiosciences.com/spectra/

http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/IPC/spectra_page.htm

I stand corrected regarding the introduction of Coherent’s new GVD compensation equipment.

I guess they DO think that the GVD problem is worth addressing (or at least that they should address Spectra Physic’s Deep See option). Coherent’s new instrument is the Chameleon PreComp, Automated Dispersion for Chameleon Ti:Sapphire Lasers.

They also have a new OPO device.

No commercial interest.

http://www.coherent.com/Lasers/index.cfm?fuseaction=show.page&ID=1557&loc=0

Brian D Armstrong PhD

Light Microscopy Core Manager

Beckman Research Institute

City of Hope

1450 E Duarte Rd

Duarte, CA 91010

626-359-8111 x62872

http://www.cityofhope.org/SharedResources/LightMicroscopy

What is your favorite online program for graphing filter & fluorophore spectra?  I currently use:

http://fluorescence.nexus-solutions.net/frames6.htm

Best, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School

SECURITY/CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message and any attachments are intended solely for the individual or entity to which they are addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (e.g., personal health information, research data, financial information). Because this e-mail has been sent without encryption, individuals other than the intended recipient may be able to view the information, forward it to others or tamper with the information without the knowledge or consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If you received the communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and deleting the message and any accompanying files from your system. If, due to the security risks, you do not wish to receive further communications via e-mail, please reply to this message and inform the sender that you do not wish to receive further e-mail from the sender.

George McNamara George McNamara

Re: Graphing filter/fluorphore spectra...

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal UA's Fluorescent Dye Spectra web site http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/index.html summarized in Carl's and my article in Cytometry 2006 ( Link). I admit to occasionally using Invitrogen's spectra viewer, and still find of use their web list version http://probes.invitrogen.com/servlets/spectra/ Our 2006 paper points out, data are facts, and facts are not copyrightable (in the USA, at least), so their statement "Molecular Probes will grant copyright authorization for reproduction of these spectra in research publications and for other non-commercial uses." is moot.

When I need more than a graph in a browser I launch Excel and do more graphing and number crunching as needed from the source data, which is available at PubSpectra http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/

Index file for the whole dataset:
McNamara_Boswell_000_2006_Index _Dyes_FPs_Filters_Lamps_Other_Spectra.xls

1314 Fluorescent dyes and fluorescent proteins spectra:
McNamara_Boswell_Spectra_Dyes_FPs.zip
966 Filters spectra:
McNamara_Boswell_Spectra_Filters .zip
99 Light sources and other spectra:
McNamara_Boswell_Spectra_Lamps_other .zip

Janos Szollosi and Horvath Gabor sent me an Excel FRET calculator, that I have modified slightly:
http://home.earthlink.net/~fluorescentdyes/McNamara 20050709 FRET Janos Szollosi Horvath Gabor FRET calculator .xls

Some day I will transfer all the data of each class into a single Excel 2007 "big grid" sheet and re-post it.

Memo to Chroma, Omega, Semrock and other filter manufacturers: we are pretty close to an even 1000 filter spectra. If you've come up with any new filters in the past 2 years, please email them (or their web links) to me. Text files (zipped up) or Excel file, please. I'll deal with getting them into standard format.

Anyone who has acquired accurate spectra of dyes - especially new dyes - I would love to have your data for addition to PubSpectra and UA (accurate means spectrophotometer, spectrofluorometer, or PARISS - you can post META and similar low resolution data on your own web site). Now that I am co-manager of a multiphoton fluorescence microscope, I would especially love to have multiphoton spectra. I have various graphs but would like data.

If anyone enjoyed (or at least read) our 2006 Cytometry article, you may also find of interest:

A Thousand Proteins of Light: 15 Years of Advances in Fluorescent Proteins

G. McNamara and C.A. Boswell

posted at Formatex microscopy3 website a couple of weeks ago. See http://www.formatex.org/microscopy3/papers.htm for all the articles (free online access). I especially liked

Super-Quiet Microfluorometry: Examples of Tumor Cell Metabolic Dynamics

A.J. Clark and H.R. Petty

Some of the fluorescence articles are near the bottom of the contents page:

Semiconductor nanocrystals and fluorescence microscopy in biological labeling

P.M.A. Farias, B.S. Santos, A.Fontes and C.L. Cesar

Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy of Living Cells

G. Vereb, L. Ujlaky-Nagy, E. Friedländer G. Vámosi and J. Szöll si

Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy: an Experimentalist’s View of the Basics

G. Jung

Linear fluorescence unmixing in cell biological research

B. Kraus, M. Ziegler and H. Wolff

High resolution Near-field Fluorescence Microscopy: from principles to applications in cell biology

A. Cambi, C.G. Figdor and M.F. Garcia-Parajo

Two-Photon Fluorescence Microscopy: Basic Principles, Advantages and Risks

S.J. Mulligan and B.A. MacVicar

Colours Count: how the Challenge of Fluorescence was solved in Confocal Microscopy

R. Borlinghaus (Leica's version of history)

Software-based three dimensional reconstructions and enhancements of focal depth in microphotographic images

J. Piper

Digital Deconvolution Microscopy: Development, Evaluation and Utilization in 3D quantitative studies of E-cadherin expression in skin of Bufo arenarun tadpoles

J.F. Adur, J.E. Diaz-Zamboni, N.B. Vicente, M.F. Izaguirre and V.H. Casco

Concurrent 3-D Visualization of Multiple Microscopic Structures

S.J. Rehorek and T.D. Smith

At 10:55 AM 1/15/2008, you wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
What is your favorite online program for graphing filter & fluorophore spectra?  I currently use:

http://fluorescence.nexus-solutions.net/frames6.htm

Best, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
305-243-8436 office
http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara/
http://www.sylvester.org/health_pro/shared_resources/index.asp (see Analytical Imaging Core Facility)

Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Dear all,

this question is about the use of bi-directional scan mode with a Zeiss
LSM 510. In one of our setups we use this mode to get the necessary fps
with a 40x/1.2 W objective, 512x200, "zoom 4" and "scan speed 12".
Unfortunately we cannot manage to fully correct the shift in X, which
means that a shift of 1 pixel remains whatever you do. Scanner
calibration (with 10x/0.45) also doesn't help.

My question is: Does a tool exist with which I can correct for this
shift afterwards? To my understanding this is quite simple - just shift
every second line by x pixels to left or right. Leica has this feature
implemented in their software, but this doesn't help much in case of Zeiss.

Maybe somebody has a macro directly for the LSM software or a plugin for
ImageJ? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Michael
Rietdorf, Jens Rietdorf, Jens

Re: post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Dear Michael,

This function is available from the 'Process' menu of the LSM-software.

regards, jens

---
Dr. Jens Rietdorf
Head Microscopy
Novartis Research Foundation
Friedrich-Miescher-Institute, wro1066.2.16 Maulbeerstr.66, CH-4058
Basel, Switzerland
phone +41(61)69-75172 mobil +41 798284737
Email:rietdorf(at)fmi.ch

Michael
Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Dear Jens,

sorry, I don't get it. In the LSM software (v4.2) one has a "Shift"
function for color shift i.e. induced by lasers coupled over two fibers or
misaligned pinholes. But I cannot shift every second line in a single
channel - or am I overlooking something? Are you talking about the ZEN
software?

cheers,
Michael

Xuejun Sun Xuejun Sun

Re: post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Hi,

I think what you need are some tools to deal with old video camera images.
Look into Deinterlace and Interlace functions in ImageJ, you should be able
to separate out the odd and even lines, align them and remerge them or the
module does all these together. Here is what I found with google:

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/plugins/de-interlace.html

Alternatively, Metamorph has such tools if you do use it.

I am not aware of any tools in Zeiss LSM software for such correction. What
we found with our 510 (which is almost 10yrs old), was that, at high speed
scanning, the scanner had significant deviations in 2 directions. So the
odd/even images are distorted.  The final images are not result of a uniform
shifting which could be easily corrected.

Good luck,

Xue-jun

Xue-jun Sun, Ph.D.
Dept. Exp. Oncology
Cross Cancer Institute
11560 University Ave,
Edmonton Alberta T6G 1Z2
Canada
Phone: (780) 432-8898
Fax:     (780) 432-8425

unauthorized and may be illegal.
Zoltan Zoltan

Re: post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear Michael,

I do these kind of things in IDL as parts of an image analysis program package that I wrote gradually over the years.  May be able to provide a specialised .SAV file that can be run w/o having an IDL license (but do need IDL Virtual Machine, which is free) if you'd like and if you specifiy what you need the program to do.
Best,

Zoltan

On Jan 16, 2008 3:41 PM, Michael Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Zoltan Cseresnyes
Facility manager, Imaging Suite
Dept. of Zoology University of Cambridge
Downing Street, Cambridge
CB2 3EJ    UK

Tel.: (++44) (0)1223 769282
Fax.: (++44) (0)1223 336676
Peng Xi-2 Peng Xi-2

Re: post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Hi Michael,
    You may try this: http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/x-shifter.html
    Wish it helps.

--
Best regards,
Peng Xi

Michael Weber wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear all,
>
> this question is about the use of bi-directional scan mode with a
> Zeiss LSM 510. In one of our setups we use this mode to get the
> necessary fps with a 40x/1.2 W objective, 512x200, "zoom 4" and "scan
> speed 12". Unfortunately we cannot manage to fully correct the shift
> in X, which means that a shift of 1 pixel remains whatever you do.
> Scanner calibration (with 10x/0.45) also doesn't help.
>
> My question is: Does a tool exist with which I can correct for this
> shift afterwards? To my understanding this is quite simple - just
> shift every second line by x pixels to left or right. Leica has this
> feature implemented in their software, but this doesn't help much in
> case of Zeiss.
>
> Maybe somebody has a macro directly for the LSM software or a plugin
> for ImageJ? I would appreciate any input.
>
> Thanks!
> Michael
Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: post-correction of line-shift induced by bi-directional point scan?

Thanks a lot Peng Xi, I followed another link on this page and found
this one:

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/correct-shift.html

And it works perfect!

cheers,