Historical Confocal instruments

Hawk, Alan J. Hawk, Alan J.

Historical Confocal instruments

The National Museum of Health and Medicine, Armed Forces Institute of
Pathology (home of the Billing's Microscope collection) is considering
collecting a Zeiss LSM-310 used at AFIP.

I would appreciate any information on the history and significance of
this particular model (which I suspect is a third generation production
model of the confocal microscope by Zeiss) of microscope.

I would also appreciate any leads on first generation confocal
microscopes for the collection.

Thank you.

V/r

Alan Hawk
Collections Manager, Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
Bldg. 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC  20306-6000
<http://nmhm.washingtondc.museum/>
<http://www.afip.org/>
Phone: (202) 782-2205, DSN 662-2205
Fax: (202) 782-3573, DSN 662-3573
 <mailto:[hidden email]>

Barbara Foster Barbara Foster

Re: Historical Confocal instruments

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi, Alan

I was involved in the introduction of the Sarastro Phoibos to the US in 1989. Sarastro was a pioneer in the confocal industry and held the original patent for 3D reconstruction from confocal sections.  If you contact me off-line, I can probably provide you with a considerable amount of information.

Thanks,
Barbara Foster, President

We've moved!
Microscopy/Microscopy Education
7101 Royal Glen Trail, Suite A
McKinney TX 75070
P: (972)924-5310
Skype: fostermme
W: www.MicroscopyEducation.com

MME is now scheduling customized, on-site courses through December.  Call us today for details.

P. S.
Need a good general reference or light microscopy text for next semester? Call us today to learn more about "Optimizing LIght Microscopy".  Copies still available through MME... even for class-room lots ... and we give quantity discounts. Just call us here in the MME office for details.

At 02:53 PM 8/22/2007, Hawk, Alan J. wrote:

[...]

 <[hidden email]>

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: Historical Confocal instruments

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Historical Confocal instruments
Zeiss' first confocal microscope was the LSM10, which came out in the
late 80s and which they called a 'second generation' instrument since
they had marketed a (non-confocal) scanning microscope previously.
It suffered from a totally embedded computer system with a very minimal
OS (files could not be given names, they were just numbered) and a
lack of bit depth.  To be honest it simply couldn't compete against the
Bio-rad MRC500 of the same era, which used an IBM-compatible PC.

So you are right that the 310 was the third generation Zeiss confocal
but in Zeiss' terms it's their fourth generation scanning optical
microscope.

                                                                                   Guy