How to measure objective transmission curves?

Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Re: How to measure the actual numerical aperture of a microscope objective?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hello Guy,

Interesting! Some clarification though... With equispaced lines on the board and a string, we are essentially measuring (working distance)*tan(aperture) on the board, right?

Cheers
Shalin

On 9/11/07, Guy Cox <[hidden email]> wrote:

In principle it's remarkably easy to measure the NA of an
objective.  We get students to do it with nothing more
sophisticated than an old microscope, a board marked
in degrees, and a piece of string.

The idea is that if you look through an objective using a
phase telescope, you are imaging the back focal plane
which is where the lens will form an image of an object
at infinity.  So if the lens has an unobstructed view (which
of course you have to arrange) you'll see an image of the
room around you.

The edge of what you can see (it will be quite a fish-eye
view) is determined by the maximum acceptance angle
of the objective, and with a suitable target you can measure
this.  With your NA 1.45 lens it should be 73 degrees from
the optic axis (=straight ahead).

Remarkably unsophisticated - and surprisingly accurate.

                                                    Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net

________________________________

Re: How to measure the actual numerical aperture of a microscope objective?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Actually, I think what he's saying is that you can measure the half angle of the cone by holding the board with distance markings a known distance away from the objective and counting the number of divisions visible on the board. Then, the half angle theta is given by:

tan(theta) = (horizontal distance visible on the board/2) / distance board is held away from the from the objective

you take the inverse tangent to get the value of theta, and then:

NA = n sin (theta)

But one problem (maybe). Guy, do you not have to take into account that this measurement is done in air but the objective is meant to operate with oil? I certainly can't fill my room with oil... But I suppose I could rig a glass slide with divisions and hold it a much closer distance to the objective and put a small glass container of oil in between them. Is this what you meant, Guy?

John

On 10-Sep-07, at 9:35 PM, Shalin Mehta wrote:

[...]

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: Confusion about the equation for numerical perture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
The answers to this, so far, have not been quite accurate.
n should be the refractive index of both the oil and the
mounting medium, and if this is not so aberrations will be
bad and resolution reduced.

The reason n is in the formula at all is that the wavelength
of the light depends on the refractive index of the medium
through which it is passing.  It is the shorter wavelength
at higher refractive index that gives us the improved
resolution, so the resolution will be determined by the
RI of the medium in which the sample is located.

Why then does the RI of the oil matter?  Because if it
doesn't match the coverslip and the sample then light will
be refracted away from the optic axis, thus reducing the
effective NA.  So BOTH have to match what the lens
is designed for.

This is all explained (with diagrams, which may make it
easier) on pp15-17 of my book - sadly these pages aren't in
the online sample pages, so you'll have to buy or borrow a
copy!

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: How to measure the actual numerical aperture of a microscope objective?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
So you're saying you can't convert from tan to sin?  :)

Actually our class setup has the scope horizontal on
a board with radiating lines at the actual angles and they
use a vertical rod to find the 'disappearing point'.
But it's intended as a demo not a scientific instrument!

The actual implementation (and whether to have the
lines equi-spaced or spaced to give NA directly is
really up to what bits and pieces you have at your disposal
and whether you're going to use it once or often.

Mobile: +65 90694182
Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: Confusion about the equation for numerical perture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
So then if I am to understand you correctly, in the non-ideal case, if the refractive index above and below the coverslip are not the same, then the effective NA of the objective is less than what is listed on the barrel of the objective, and so my resolution must therefore be decreased?

That is absolutely correct.  Furthermore, unless you are imaging very close to
the coverslip, spherical aberration will degrade your resolution far more than the
lower RI will.  If you want to look at samples in water (except in TIRF) then
a water-immersion coverslip-corrected lens will ALWAYS give you the
best resolution.

And again, what about the case of TIRF microscopy then? This imaging mode depends on there being a refractive index mismatch in order to achieve low penetration depths. Did the designers of this type of objective account for this when they calculated the NA of the objective before it was built?

TIRF is a special case, and the NA is calculated so that total internal
reflection can be achieved at a glass-water interface.  So it is the refractive
index of the oil that counts.  And you can use a TIRF lens as a conventional
oil lens with a sample in high RI medium.  (In fact it's really good as such since
it usually has a correction collar so you can tune out SA caused by tiny
index mismatches - your average 1.4 planApo can't do that).

But when it's used in TIRF we are imaging in the evanescent wave (as in NSOM)
so that diffraction limitation doesn't apply.  And the distance is so short that
SA won't cause problems (you have a collar, anyway, but it's more to adjust
for oil temperature).

                                                                                                     Guy

[...]

Rosemary.White Rosemary.White

starch analysis in confocal

Apologies for dual posting - email meltdown lost messages over last few days...

To the person interested in analysing starch structure by confocal, check out Blennow et al. (2003) J Struct Biol 143: 229-241, and more recently Chanzy et al. (2006) J Struct Biol 154: 100-110 for a nice method to do this.

cheers,
Rosemary

Rosemary White
CSIRO Plant Industry
GPO Box 1600
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia

61 2 6246 5475
Steffen Dietzel Steffen Dietzel

At 05:29 11.09.2007, you wrote:
>Why then does the RI of the oil matter?  Because if it
>doesn't match the coverslip and the sample then light will
>be refracted away from the optic axis, thus reducing the
>effective NA.  So BOTH have to match what the lens
>is designed for.

However, unfortunately, RI of the oil and glass usually don't match!

Typical RI for oil is n at 546.1 nm = n(e) = 1.518.

Most coverslip producers don't tell you the RI of their glass.
The one that does that I found gives n(e) = 1.5255 +/- 0.0015
source: http://www.hecht-assistent.de/download/Englisch/Microscopic.pdf

So the coverslip has a higher RI than the oil.
Lens designers know that of course and I am under
the impression that they correct for this
mismatch. To do that, they have to assume a
specific thickness of the coverslip: 170 um.
Which is why for high resolution microscopy it is
mandatory to use such coverslips.

One would think that coverslip producers have
matching thickness as their standard. However
this is far from true. What you usually get is
"Thickness 1" which is defined as 130 - 160 nm. I
never found out why they to this to the
microscopic community. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

In any case, it should be worth to spend some
time to find a source for coverslips of the right
thickness in your neighborhood - err your continent.

Steffen

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum (WBZ)
Head of light microscopy

Building location and address for courier, parcel services etc:
Marchioninistr. 27, D-81366 München (Großhadern)

Mail room (for letters etc.):
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81366 München

Phone: +49/89/2180-76509
Fax:   +49/89/2180-76503 (please anounce incoming fax by e-mail)
skype: steffendietzel
e-mail: [hidden email] (for everything university related)
          or [hidden email]
Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: Confusion about the equation for numerical perture

And apart from all this the RI of the oil is
only specified for one temperature and if your
room temperature is even a few degrees different
it will be wrong ....

All of which is precisely why for serious oil
immersion microscopy a TIRF lens (which has
a correction collar) is a very good lens to
use even for non-TIRF applications.

                                    Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net
>Why then does the RI of the oil matter?  Because if it doesn't match
>the coverslip and the sample then light will be refracted away from the
>optic axis, thus reducing the effective NA.  So BOTH have to match what
>the lens is designed for.

However, unfortunately, RI of the oil and glass usually don't match!

Typical RI for oil is n at 546.1 nm = n(e) = 1.518.

Most coverslip producers don't tell you the RI of their glass.
The one that does that I found gives n(e) = 1.5255 +/- 0.0015
source: http://www.hecht-assistent.de/download/Englisch/Microscopic.pdf

So the coverslip has a higher RI than the oil.
Lens designers know that of course and I am under the impression that they correct for this mismatch. To do that, they have to assume a specific thickness of the coverslip: 170 um.
Which is why for high resolution microscopy it is mandatory to use such coverslips.

One would think that coverslip producers have matching thickness as their standard. However this is far from true. What you usually get is "Thickness 1" which is defined as 130 - 160 nm. I never found out why they to this to the microscopic community. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

In any case, it should be worth to spend some time to find a source for coverslips of the right thickness in your neighborhood - err your continent.

Steffen

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum (WBZ)
Head of light microscopy

Building location and address for courier, parcel services etc:
Marchioninistr. 27, D-81366 München (Großhadern)

Mail room (for letters etc.):
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81366 München

Phone: +49/89/2180-76509
Fax:   +49/89/2180-76503 (please anounce incoming fax by e-mail)
skype: steffendietzel
e-mail: [hidden email] (for everything university related)
          or [hidden email]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Confusion about the equation for numerical perture

It's hard to mass-produce 'flat' glass of consistant thickness from
rolled glass. Anything precise has to be custom ground with
interferometric measurement as a check during the process!

Craig

vb-2 vb-2

Re: Confusion about the equation for numerical perture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hello All,

We are imaging fluorescent virus particles immobilized on the glass coverslip - on average the signal is restricted to 4 - 9 pixels depending on mag.
In this case we are imaging right on the surface of a cover glass.

When imaging with the 60x NA 1.4 lens a half of the image, top and bottom (or corners of the image) are out of focus. The RI of the mounting media is >1.43 (varies from 1.43 to 1.47, maturation time dependent). When imaging with the 100x NA 1.45 TIRF lens, the out of focus portion of the image is less pronounced (higher mag. and/or higher NA).

In addition, the background fluorescence is much lower with another, lower RI mounting media (RI 1.42), than with the higher RI media mentioned above (RI 1.43-1.47). As expected the background fluorescence is reproducible with the RI=1.42 media, and varies up to 2-fold with the other. SAs are often seen at the corners of the image.

What is the contribution of the flatness of a coverslip to optical artefacts observed, as standard coverslip thickness is 160-190 nm? How rough is the surface of a standard cover glass?

Another issue is inclusions, dust, air bubbles that likely to accumulate at the surface of a cover glass, and which could be very much similar in size to virus particles - ca. 120 nm.
To what extent the difference in RI between the glass and the mounting media contribute to the level of light dispersion and reflection form the cover glass, especially at high NA?

Thus, what is the most appropriate mounting media for the imaging of fluorescent molecules immobilized on the surface of a cover glass (in wide-field microscopy).

Or evanescent wave excitation with a thicker glass (#2, to reduce photobleaching) would be of great advantage under the TIR conditions, when even illumination could be achieved?

Vitaly
NCI-Frederick
301-846-6575