Illumination objective condensation on Zeiss Lightsheet.Z1

Oliver Biehlmaier-2 Oliver Biehlmaier-2

Illumination objective condensation on Zeiss Lightsheet.Z1

Dear all,

After 5 years without any issues we noticed a problem on our Zeiss Lightsheet.Z1:

The illumination objective located on the left hand side in the chamber is always getting covered with condensation:
-        when using the 5x or 20x water objectives and water immersion chamber
-        with or without the temperature being set to warm up
-        As a result, the Dual side illumination always looks worse on the right side.

Zeiss was pointing out that this might be due to the air conditioning in the room blowing on one side of the system but nothing has been changed there - so I guess this can be excluded.

Did anybody experience the same problem on a Zeiss Lightsheet.Z1?
If so, what was causing the problem and what was  your solution?

Thanks for your feedback!

Best,
Oliver

Oliver Biehlmaier, PhD | Head of Imaging Core Facility  | Biozentrum, University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel
Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf> | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/> | https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy | @imcf_basel<https://twitter.com/imcf_basel>

Tomek Węgierski Tomek Węgierski

Re: Illumination objective condensation on Zeiss Lightsheet.Z1

Dear Oliver,
We have Lightsheet.Z1 since 2013 and AFAIK we do not have this problem.
Did you check whether this is lens dependent? It is not very likely, but worth checking. You could swap illumination lenses (the system is calibrated with illumination lenses at correct sides but you could swap them for one session).
Is the coverslip facing the illumination lens on the left-hand side also having the same condensation problem?
Did you measure the exact temperature at the left and right illumination lenses? Maybe Peltier unit is defective and causes this problem (maybe even if incubation is off, who knows).
I hope you will solve this problem soon and will be able to share the solution,
Best,
Tomasz

Tomasz Wegierski, PhD
International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology
Trojdena 4, 02-109 Warsaw, POLAND
tel: +48-22 597 0763
fax: +48 22 597 0715
http://www.iimcb.gov.pl/
________________________________

Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf>> | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/>> | https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy | @imcf_basel<https://twitter.com/imcf_basel>

Held, Marie [mheldb] Held, Marie [mheldb]

Re: Illumination objective condensation on Zeiss Lightsheet.Z1

Dear all,

We are seeing something similar on our Z.1 Lightsheet. The droplets evaporate over time after fitting the objectives and then imaging is fine. Once the objective is clear of droplets, we do not notice a difference in performance between the illumination objectives so no other "solution" required other than equilibration time on our end.

For us, the air conditioning might be the issue given the location of it in the room but we are not 100% sure as it is an intermittent problem.

Marie Held

Image Analysis and Technical Support
Centre for Cell Imaging

Biosciences Building