Lifetime of back illuminated CCD camera

Nick Durr Nick Durr

Lifetime of back illuminated CCD camera

We are considering purchasing a 3-year-old back illuminated CCD for a
spectrometer. I'm told that ICCDs and EMCCDs have a limited lifetime
because of their high gain, but that a back illuminated CCD with a
permanent vacuum should last much longer. I'm wondering if any experienced
users here can offer advice on lifetimes of BI CCDs. I'm also curious as
to what exactly happens with ICCDs and EMCCDs that makes them degrade more
rapidly with time. Thanks!
-Nick
Morrison, Ian E Morrison, Ian E

Re: Lifetime of back illuminated CCD camera

We have been using a back-illuminated CCD camera (EEV CCD02-06-1-206 detector) for over 10 years, with no sign of degradation. The chip is coated to give an extended blue range, but we rarely use it in the UV so I cannot say whether this might be a problem.   Ian

                          Dept.Biological Sciences, University of Essex
                          Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ