Looking for recipe to create an Andor FRAPPA calibration slide?

Wendy Salmon Wendy Salmon

Looking for recipe to create an Andor FRAPPA calibration slide?

Hi all,
Before I shell out cash to buy one, has anyone reverse-engineered the Andor
FRAPPA calibration slide and would be willing to share?  It's the smear of
Ethidium Bromide doped agarose (not the front surface mirror for the
MicroPoint system).
Thank you!
Wishing you peace and good health,
Wendy

--------------------
Wendy C Salmon, M.A. (she/her/hers)
Manager, W.M. Keck Facility for Biological Imaging

Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
455 Main St., Rm 447, Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
e: [hidden email]  |  w: microscopy.wi.mit.edu

<http://microscopy.wi.mit.edu>
Ann-W Ann-W

Re: Looking for recipe to create an Andor FRAPPA calibration slide?

Hi Wendy

Yes, Well sort of. I used fluorescently labelled fibronectin and it did a very similar job. Although it was ages ago, I have a mosaic on my Andor system now not a FRAPPA. Essentially you need a fluorescent thing you can make a hole in and then calibrate the xy galvos of the FRAPPA to the position of the hole if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure flurosecently labelled agarose would do the same job. The Fluorescently labelled Fibronectin can be brought from Thermo for about £350.

Hope this helps

Ann

Advanced Imaging Resource, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH4 2XU
Working Pattern. Mon 9am - 2pm, Tues - Thurs 9am - 5pm.
E: [hidden email]
T: 0131 651 8665
This email was sent to you by someone outside the University.
You should only click on links or attachments if you are certain that the email is genuine and the content is safe.

Hi all,
Before I shell out cash to buy one, has anyone reverse-engineered the Andor FRAPPA calibration slide and would be willing to share?  It's the smear of Ethidium Bromide doped agarose (not the front surface mirror for the MicroPoint system).
Thank you!
Wishing you peace and good health,
Wendy

--------------------
Wendy C Salmon, M.A. (she/her/hers)
Manager, W.M. Keck Facility for Biological Imaging

Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
455 Main St., Rm 447, Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
e: [hidden email]  |  w: microscopy.wi.mit.edu

<http://microscopy.wi.mit.edu>
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.
Ann Wheeler
Head of Advanced Imaging Facility
Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine
University of Edinburgh
United Kingdom
Gary Laevsky Gary Laevsky

Re: Looking for recipe to create an Andor FRAPPA calibration slide?

That's right, I forgot!

We used, and still use, fluorescently labeled agarose.

Also, Zazzle (others probably work) marker on a coverslip works well.

We also use the Zazzle marker for TIRF demo. Dot the coverslip, and then
add water.  Some of the Zazze juice sticks, and the rest forms
mini-micelles.  Works great, easy, and cheap!

--
Best,

Gary Laevsky, Ph.D.
Director, Confocal Imaging Facility
Nikon Center of Excellence
Co-Founder, North Atlantic Microscopy Society (NAMS)
https://namsmicroscopy.com/
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Washington Rd.
Princeton University