Microinjection system

kspencer007 kspencer007

Microinjection system

Hello all;
        Slightly off topic, but I'd like to ask about microinjection
systems. We currently have an Eppendorf Transject (yes, it's old), and
are looking to replace it. The micromanipulator part (NI2) we have
demoed is fabulous. However, we are looking for more precise delivery of
small volumes in brain. We are doing cell tracing experiments in live
animals. The Eppendorf system (FemtoJet) has a great backflow pressure
compensator that works well in cultured cells, but not so well in
tissue. We have also tried their Cell Tram and Cell Tram Vario, but tend
to get a sudden gush of fluorescent dextran released inappropriately.
What we are dreaming of is a very fine controlled release of dye
precisely when we want it, in an extremely small volume. We realize that
the capillary size and diameter are the real factors here, and that
brain slices tend to clog the capillaries as you are moving through the
tissue. Would you know of a product at which we should look?
        Any suggestions would be very welcome.
        Thanks!
        Kathy

Kathryn Spencer, Ph.D.
The Scripps Research Institute
ICND 210
10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA  92037
(858) 784-8437
[hidden email]
jlribas jlribas

Re: Microinjection system

Dear Kathy,
As an alternative of pressure injection you can try iontophoretic
injection of some electric charged tracers. in this case you don't have
to worry about the volume of what you are injecting. If you are looking
for single cell labelling in live tissue you can read something about
'the juxta-cellular labelling technique' described by Pinault. This
technique is based on the intracellular deposition of biocitin or
neurobiotin at the same time you are monitoring extracellular activity
(in the case of neurons).

Best regards

--
Juan Luis Ribas