Microscope Stage Incubators

Charles Matthew Blaha Charles Matthew Blaha

Microscope Stage Incubators

Hey everyone..this is my first time using this server.  I am a new research
assistant working in the department of bioengineering at Stanford
University and I have a few questions regarding Microscope Stage
Incubators.

My group plans to study live corneal epithelial cell migration and
proliferation (and possibly other cell characteristics) on transparent
hydrogels over a period of 1 to 4 days.  We plan to use 10 ro 20x
objectives so it will be a long working distance.  As an undergrad, I
performed live cell imaging with a microscope stage incubator on a leica
microscope, so I have some experiene in the area. I am in charge of
determining which microscope stage incubator is best for our application.
We have a Nikon TE300 with an Applied Scientific Instruments MS-2000
stage.

There appears to be two different microscope stage incubation systems: hood
incubators and stage incubators.  I have spoken to a variety of companies
with conflicting recommendations, although I am leaning towards a Stage
incubator from OKO-labs.  Any suggestions if a hood or a stage incubator is
better?  Has anyone had success or been disapointed with certain companies
hoods or stage incubators?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

Charles Blaha M.S.
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford University
Csucs Gabor Csucs Gabor

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Dear Charles,

We do a lot of live cell imaging (also for longer period ~72 hours). Our
experience showed that the box type incubators work better for this type
of experiments. They clearly need a longer equilibration time (you need
to switch them on 1-2 hours before your experiments), but afterwards
offer superior stability. If you have a "decent" microscope, the focus
drift over 24 hours is around the 0.5 micron. I need to mention, that we
have air-conditioning in our rooms which is also advantageous in order
to stabilize the conditions. (Simply speaking - it is also essential....)
Of course if for any reason you need to change the temperature in a fast
manner - you shouldn't take these. We have three different incubators in
our facility (Solent Scientific, the "Ludin-box and cube" from LIS, and
incubators from the EMBL Heidelberg). All of these work fine in our
hand, but there are considerable price differences (especially if you
need also CO2 control). The Oko-lab system is quite similar to these so
probabyl it will also do the job. If you have auto-focus (hardware) on
your system, then you can choose almost anything - we have done
experiments even with a slightly modified hair-dryer.

I have no commercial interest in any of the above mentioned products.

Cheers    Gabor

--
Gabor Csucs
Light Microscopy Centre, ETH Zurich

Web: www.lmc.ethz.ch
Phone: +41 44 633 6221
Fax: +41 44 632 1298
e-mail: [hidden email]
George McNamara George McNamara

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Hi Charles,

Check out the Precautionary Note section of the web page
http://www.bioptechs.com/Products/Rebuild/rebuilding_service.html

At 02:29 PM 11/13/2007, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hey everyone..this is my first time using this server.  I am a new research
>assistant working in the department of bioengineering at Stanford
>University and I have a few questions regarding Microscope Stage
>Incubators.
>
>My group plans to study live corneal epithelial cell migration and
>proliferation (and possibly other cell characteristics) on transparent
>hydrogels over a period of 1 to 4 days.  We plan to use 10 ro 20x
>objectives so it will be a long working distance.  As an undergrad, I
>performed live cell imaging with a microscope stage incubator on a leica
>microscope, so I have some experiene in the area. I am in charge of
>determining which microscope stage incubator is best for our application.
>We have a Nikon TE300 with an Applied Scientific Instruments MS-2000
>stage.
>
>There appears to be two different microscope stage incubation systems: hood
>incubators and stage incubators.  I have spoken to a variety of companies
>with conflicting recommendations, although I am leaning towards a Stage
>incubator from OKO-labs.  Any suggestions if a hood or a stage incubator is
>better?  Has anyone had success or been disapointed with certain companies
>hoods or stage incubators?
>
>I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Charles Blaha M.S.
>Department of Bioengineering
>Stanford University

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
305-243-8436 office
http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara/
http://www.sylvester.org/health_pro/shared_resources/index.asp (see
Analytical Imaging Core Facility)
Aryeh Weiss Aryeh Weiss

George McNamara wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> Check out the Precautionary Note section of the web page
> http://www.bioptechs.com/Products/Rebuild/rebuilding_service.html

Note that the Ludin scope incubator system restricts the humidified and CO2 rich
atmosphere to a small volume on the stage.

--aryeh
--
Aryeh Weiss
School of Engineering

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384050
Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Dear Charles,

with long working distance objectives you can in theory go for a stage
incubator. However, if your room temperature is not absolutely stable
all the time, then you will soon run into stage drift problems. For such
long experiments I would definitely go for a cage incubator (already
mentioned: LIS, OKOlab). If you heat it up ca. half a day before, the
whole microscope is at temperature and focus drift should be no problem
anymore.

If you go for a stage incubator in a room with unstable temperature,
then I am quite sure that you need some kind of autofocus. Good software
solutions can also do the job - depends on the sample, i.e. phase
contrast autofocus or Z-scan focus which looks for the coverslip
reflection. As already mentioned, the main advantages of stage
incubators are speed (especially if you want to change between
temperatures) and mobility. Chambers based on water-circulation are nice
and stable, i.e. the OKOlab solution.

cheers,
Michael

Charles Blaha wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hey everyone..this is my first time using this server.  I am a new research
> assistant working in the department of bioengineering at Stanford
> University and I have a few questions regarding Microscope Stage
> Incubators.
>
> My group plans to study live corneal epithelial cell migration and
> proliferation (and possibly other cell characteristics) on transparent
> hydrogels over a period of 1 to 4 days.  We plan to use 10 ro 20x
> objectives so it will be a long working distance.  As an undergrad, I
> performed live cell imaging with a microscope stage incubator on a leica
> microscope, so I have some experiene in the area. I am in charge of
> determining which microscope stage incubator is best for our application.
> We have a Nikon TE300 with an Applied Scientific Instruments MS-2000
> stage.
>
> There appears to be two different microscope stage incubation systems: hood
> incubators and stage incubators.  I have spoken to a variety of companies
> with conflicting recommendations, although I am leaning towards a Stage
> incubator from OKO-labs.  Any suggestions if a hood or a stage incubator is
> better?  Has anyone had success or been disapointed with certain companies
> hoods or stage incubators?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Charles Blaha M.S.
> Department of Bioengineering
> Stanford University
zhanTom zhanTom

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal dear Charles,
    We have a live cell system. we use a stage incubator. I think it is ok for long term(48h) imaging.
The cell can live well. We have ever run across three problems in our hand. the first is the Z-shift,although we have
air condotion. so we bought one autofocus controller from ludl company, and it is really good.Second problem is that the cell
is easy to die when  doing fluorescence imaging, especially under UV light. we had better reduce the exciting light as dim as we can.
so you had better have a cool CCD with high sensitive.the last problem is the dish. because we need to observe some tiny structure in
cell such as tubelin.so we need 60 oil objectivr, but the working distance is small and the bottom of common dish is thick. We bought petri-dish
to solve the problem.this kind of dish is also better for fluorescence imaging.
    Hope these are helpful for you.
     best regards
      zhan cheng

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:29:47 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Microscope Stage Incubators
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hey everyone..this is my first time using this server. I am a new research
> assistant working in the department of bioengineering at Stanford
> University and I have a few questions regarding Microscope Stage
> Incubators.
>
> My group plans to study live corneal epithelial cell migration and
> proliferation (and possibly other cell characteristics) on transparent
> hydrogels over a period of 1 to 4 days. We plan to use 10 ro 20x
> objectives so it will be a long working distance. As an undergrad, I
> performed live cell imaging with a microscope stage incubator on a leica
> microscope, so I have some experiene in the area. I am in charge of
> determining which microscope stage incubator is best for our application.
> We have a Nikon TE300 with an Applied Scientific Instruments MS-2000
> stage.
>
> There appears to be two different microscope stage incubation systems: hood
> incubators and stage incubators. I have spoken to a variety of companies
> with conflicting recommendations, although I am leaning towards a Stage
> incubator from OKO-labs. Any suggestions if a hood or a stage incubator is
> better? Has anyone had success or been disapointed with certain companies
> hoods or stage incubators?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Charles Blaha M.S.
> Department of Bioengineering
> Stanford University

使用新一代 Hotmail,更强大、更安全、更多存储空间! 立刻体验!
Chris Wood-5 Chris Wood-5

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

So is this scaremongering or real?  Has anybody on the list ever had a
microscope degrade/die/rust to smithereens because they coupled it to an
box-style humidified chamber?

And has anyone ever used the Bioptechs rebuilding service for these
reasons, and if so, what was found?

Saludos

Chris

Dr Chris Wood
Instituto de Biotecnología
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Av. Universidad 2001
Col. Chamilpa
Cuernavaca 62150
Morelos
México

Higdon, Michael Higdon, Michael

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

I actually worked on an Olympus IMT2 that was regularly bathed in saline.  It took seven years for the focus mechanism to finally lockup with all the salt.  I personally think the "acrylic-box" is the way to go!
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

This message was sent via Blackberry.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi Charles,
>
>Check out the Precautionary Note section of the web page
>http://www.bioptechs.com/Products/Rebuild/rebuilding_service.html

Jacqueline Ross Jacqueline Ross

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Hi Charles & others,

We have Solent incubation (box-style) systems on two microscope systems, one an Olympus FV1000 confocal microscope and the other a Nikon TE2000E inverted microscope. We've had both systems for around 2 years without obvious rust issues at the moment. Both systems are multi-user.

With these systems, the gas is humidified but it comes up to the working head of the microscope and of course your specimen is bathed in liquid but it's still a fairly small volume in our case.

I've never noticed condensation dripping off the sides of the box and since it's not completely sealed, moisture does have a chance to dry out. In fact, the real risk of rust comes with the use of the dipping objectives on our confocal, which drip down buffer salts, etc. onto the condenser, etc. So it is important to clean that off to avoid rust.

The reason we bought a box-style system for our inverted microscope was because when I had a look at all the available chamber-based systems, there seemed to be variable reports about how well they worked especially since we operate as a multi-user facility.

Our systems are also used by people who don't need the incubation system but because we have the box structure rather than a chamber system, we don't have to keep taking things off and on.

One other concern was that you seemed to need to buy other components such as objective heaters, etc. to avoid heat sinks/focus drift if you have a stage-top incubator whereas with the box-style, more of the system is heated and as long as you give sufficient time for things to equilibrate, I think it works quite well.

However, auto-focus (as mentioned previously by Gabor) is still a useful thing to have with a box-style system.

Kind regards,

Jacqui

Jacqueline Ross

Biomedical Imaging Microscopist
Biomedical Imaging Research Unit
School of Medical Sciences
Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

Tel: 64 9 373 7599 Ext 87438
Fax: 64 9 373 7484

http://www.health.auckland.ac.nz/biru/

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi Charles,
>
>Check out the Precautionary Note section of the web page
>http://www.bioptechs.com/Products/Rebuild/rebuilding_service.html

Jacqueline Ross Jacqueline Ross

Re: Microscope Stage Incubators

Hi again,

I just realised that when I mentioned about the humidified gas coming up to the working head, it may not be clear what I meant for those who aren't familiar with these Solent systems. The humidified gas in comes through narrow tubing up to the specimen rather than filling the entire box.