Objective for confocal

Yang, Ann-Fook Yang, Ann-Fook

Objective for confocal

Hi All,

I am new in confocal microscopy.
We have a 40x/1.3 oil and a 63X/1.2 water objectives. Is there any advantage to add a 100X/1.46 Oil objective?

Ann Fook Yang,
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
EM Unit/ Unite EM
Edifice K.W. Neatby Building,
960 Carling Av /960 Boulevard Carling,
Ottawa,Ontario
K1A 0C6

[hidden email]
Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1638
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1701
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hello Ann,

there may be different opinions on this, but here is my take:

With a confocal microscope, you can add magnification by zooming in and matching the image size (pixel dimensions) for optimal resolution. This means you can get 100 x magnification with a 40x at zoom 2.5, or a 63x at zoom 1.6.

What the 100x/1.46 gives you in theory is greater resolution (20-30% more), since resolution increases with the square of the numerical aperture. In practice, you may not always achieve this extra resolution, unless you have quite bright samples that are relatively thin and properly mounted, in order to minimize spherical aberrations.

You also need to consider the type of objective and the application. PlanApos are corrected for more colors, and therefore are best for precise colocalization of up to four dyes. Fluars or similar objectives are corrected for fewer colors, but tend to be brighter than PlanApos, because they are simpler lenses with less glass... these are often better for live-cell imaging, or for samples with fewer colors...   for a more precise description, you may want to check the tutorial on lenses and chromatic aberrations here:

We typically use objectives in the 40x-60x range for most of our confocal applications (in addition to a 10x or 20x for low-mag work, and possibly a long-working distance 40x for thick/unusual samples). We rarely use a 100x, except maybe to look at yeast cells, or some very fine cellular detail.  A 100x/1.46 lens will often be less bright than a 40x/1.3, which means that your gain in resolution may be offset by increased bleaching. In addition, a 40x is more versatile since you can image a wider field of view at zoom 1, and then get a close-up at zoom 2-3 if you need more mag, without having to switch lenses.

A 100x/1.46 lens, on the other hand, would be quite nice on a widefield microscope... also, this type of lens with high NA is what you need for applications such as TIRF (total internal Reflection microscopy)...

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Tel: Office: 206-667-1215/ Lab: 206-667-4205
FAX: 206-667-6845

DISCLAIMER:

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender then delete this message.

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
I quite agree with what Julio said.  There is one more
point, though.  The NA 1.46 lens is presumably a
TIRF lens, and so may be handy if one later wants to
add TIRF capabilities.  As such, it will probably also
have a correction collar, and if this is used correctly it
will significantly improve performance.   At high NA,
minor differences in coverslip thickness and room
temperature will noticeably impact on resolution
unless they are corrected for.

                                                          Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Nowell, Cameron Nowell, Cameron

Re: Objective for confocal

Hi Ann,
           To follow up from Julio's comments. The higher NA will give you improved resolution. A 1.42 NA object theoreticatly can resolve down to 210nm at 488nm exitation. That holds true for what ever the magnification the objective has.

We have compared a 63x 1.42 NA to a 100x 1.42 NA objective. Both were Olympus UIS2 PlanApo objectives. Both could resolve the same structures. But the big difference was the amount of light that was needed to capture an image with the 100x objective. On average 7x more light input was required to get image with the 100x lens that was equivalent to the 63x lens.

So my advice woudl be to get a 63x 1.42 NA objective, or better yet a 40x 1.4NA if you can find one (they are being made by Nikon i think but not sure about others).

Of course this is only important if you want to b e able to resolve very small structures. If you do not want to be resolving down to 210nm then your 40x oil and 63x water imersion objective will be just fine.

I can send you (and anyone else on the list) a copy of the reoprt with the comparison of the 63x vs the 100x lens if you want.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell B.Sc (Hons)
Microscopy Imaging and Research Core Facility Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
7 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002

Phone: +61396561243
Mobile: +61422882700
We have a 40x/1.3 oil and a 63X/1.2 water objectives. Is there any advantage to add a 100X/1.46 Oil objective?

Ann Fook Yang,
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
EM Unit/ Unite EM
Edifice K.W. Neatby Building,
960 Carling Av /960 Boulevard Carling,
Ottawa,Ontario
K1A 0C6

[hidden email]
Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1638
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1701

This email (including any attachments) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.
vb-2 vb-2

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
For what conditions the high NA oil immersion lenses (w/o the correction collar) are optimized, room temperature or Live Cell Imaging (at 37 deg)? I recently compared NA 1.45 versus NA 1.49 (with the correction collar), and haven't noticed any difference on fixed samples of 125-150 nm fluorescent virus particles (at RT).

vitaly
nci-frederick

Peter Gabriel Pitrone Peter Gabriel Pitrone

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Magnification?!?!

On Oct 26, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Yang, Ann-Fook wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at

Hi All,

I am new in confocal microscopy.
We have a 40x/1.3 oil and a 63X/1.2 water objectives. Is there any advantage to add a 100X/1.46 Oil objective?

Ann Fook Yang,
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
EM Unit/ Unite EM
Edifice K.W. Neatby Building,
960 Carling Av /960 Boulevard Carling,
Ottawa,Ontario
K1A 0C6

Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1638
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1701

Peter Gabriel Pitrone
Light Microscopy Facility
Max Planck Institute for
Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 Dresden, Germany

Nowell, Cameron Nowell, Cameron

Re: Objective for confocal

Magnification is increased with a 100x lens when compared to a 63x sure, but if you are using confocal then this isn't that important since you can digitally zoom in to get the same magnification. There are really no advantages of going to a 100x bjective if you have a high NA 63x available.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell B. Sc (Hons)

Microscopy Imaging and Research Core Facility

Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre

7 St Andrews Place

East Melbourne, Victoria 3002

AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61396561242

Mobile: +61422882700

Fax: +61396561411

________________________________

On Oct 26, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Yang, Ann-Fook wrote:

        Hi All,

        I am new in confocal microscopy.
        We have a 40x/1.3 oil and a 63X/1.2 water objectives. Is there any advantage to add a 100X/1.46 Oil objective?

        Ann Fook Yang,
        Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
        EM Unit/ Unite EM
        Edifice K.W. Neatby Building,
        960 Carling Av /960 Boulevard Carling,
        Ottawa,Ontario
        K1A 0C6

        [hidden email]
        Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1638
        Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1701

Peter Gabriel Pitrone
Light Microscopy Facility
Max Planck Institute for
Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 Dresden, Germany
E-Mail: [hidden email]

This email (including any attachments) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.
Zarda, Boris Zarda, Boris

Antwort: Objective for confocal

Well, this is a excellent opportunity to use once more the cover-all
answer: It depends...
I did a pretty extensive comparison of the the objectives Apo 63x/1.4 Oil
and Apo 100x/1.46. All tests were done with Leica objectives, results may
differ for other brands. Test sample were beads 170nm in Glycergel close to
the coverslip or homogeneously stained cells for the "Sensitivity"
comparison.

Results: Resolution was visibly and measurably better with the 100x. But:
it is absolutely mandatory to adjust the correction collar with great care,
otherwise you will do more harm than good. Not difficult in itself,  but
you simply have to do it. You will also gain in "Sensitivity": you will
need less laser energy (measured in focal plane, not at AOTF) to achieve
the same apparent image brightness. Under these conditions also a lower
bleach rate was observed. So in principle I do think this is an excellent
objective improving the performance of the system. Before this objective I
had the opinion that a 100x would be allways less "bright" than a 63x. For
a 63x/1.2 Water all this would be valid to an even larger degree, just
consider the BUT...

BUT: keep in mind that if you are working with thicker samples (meaning for
me more than approx. 10-15um) the match of the RI (refractive index)
becomes much more important for your imaging than pure NA. So if you work
with living samples usually water immersion is the best, with fixed and
embedded samples  I would usually recommend  Glycerol objectives since most
commercial embedding media are very close in RI to this immersion medium.
So it is very important to decide what is most important for your
application: max. brightness/resolution in flat samples or maximum
penetration/resolution/brightness in thick samples.

Hope this comment is a bit helpfull. For background information go to
Pawley's Handbook of confocal microscopy, read about RI match and spherical
aberration. These factors have a huge impact on your image quality and can
hardly be overestimated.

Good luck

Boris

P.S. I am working for Leica Microsystems, but I think this makes no
difference for this case...

Boris Zarda
Dr. rer. nat.
Sales Manager Research Switzerland

Leica Microsystems (Schweiz) AG
Verkaufsgesellschaft
Max Schmidheiny-Strasse 201
CH-9435 Heerbrugg
Tel  +41 44 768 36 30
Fax +41 71 726 34 44

             "Yang, Ann-Fook"
             <[hidden email]>
             Gesendet von:                                              An
             Confocal                   [hidden email]
             Microscopy List                                         Kopie
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSER
             V.BUFFALO.EDU>                                          Thema
                                        Objective for confocal

             26.10.2007 22:09

              Bitte antworten
                    an
                 Confocal
              Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSER
              V.BUFFALO.EDU>

Hi All,

I am new in confocal microscopy.
We have a 40x/1.3 oil and a 63X/1.2 water objectives. Is there any
advantage to add a 100X/1.46 Oil objective?

Ann Fook Yang,
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
EM Unit/ Unite EM
Edifice K.W. Neatby Building,
960 Carling Av /960 Boulevard Carling,
Ottawa,Ontario
K1A 0C6

[hidden email]
Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1638
 Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1701

Yang, Ann-Fook Yang, Ann-Fook

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Hi Julio,

Thank you for spending time to write. The information is very usefully to me.

Ann Fook

Yang, Ann-Fook Yang, Ann-Fook

Re: Objective for confocal

Hi Cameron,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I would appreciate receiving the report you mentioned.

Regards,

Ann Fook

in its receipt.
Yang, Ann-Fook Yang, Ann-Fook

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Hi Guy,

I appreciate your input, thank you.

Cheers,

Ann Fook

Stanislav Vitha Stanislav Vitha

Re: Objective for confocal

Dear Cameron,
I will be inetrested in the test report on the two Olympus lenses. Were
your tests done in the wide-field or confocal mode?
Our Olympus confocal had a 60x/1.42 PLAPON objective that turned out to be
substantially worse in resolution than we expected from theoretical
calculations. After testing several more of the same type we switched to
the 100x/1.4 Universal Plan Apo (Thanks to our local Olympus office I was
able to pick the best one among several of those objectives). It showed
much better resolution and less chromatic aberration across the visible
spectrum. I can e-mail test results to those who are interested (both
mirror slide and sub-resolution beads were used).

Regarding the signal intensity - I thought that in the point-scanning
confocal mode, there should not be a big difference in excitation
intensity and signal detected between different magnification objectives
of the same NA - the size of the illuminated spot is determined by NA, as
well as the amount of fluorescence signal collected. Since all the
collected fluorescence signal is focused to a single spot in the pinhole
plane, there again should not be much difference between, say, 60x and
100x objective, providing the pinhole size is set to the same Airy size
and all other things are the same. Am I missing something fundamental?

Stan

Dr. Stanislav Vitha      [hidden email]
Microscopy and Imaging Center
Texas A&M University
BSBW 119
College Station, TX 77843-2257

tel: 979-845-1129 (main desk)
tel: 979-845-1607 (direct link)
fax: 979-847-8933

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:08:29 +1000, Nowell, Cameron
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi Ann,
>           To follow up from Julio's comments. The higher NA will give
you improved resolution. A 1.42 NA object theoreticatly can resolve down
to 210nm at 488nm exitation. That holds true for what ever the
magnification the objective has.

>We have compared a 63x 1.42 NA to a 100x 1.42 NA objective. Both were
Olympus UIS2 PlanApo objectives. Both could resolve the same structures.
But the big difference was the amount of light that was needed to capture
an image with the 100x objective. On average 7x more light input was
required to get image with the 100x lens that was equivalent to the 63x
lens.

>So my advice woudl be to get a 63x 1.42 NA objective, or better yet a 40x
1.4NA if you can find one (they are being made by Nikon i think but not
sure about others).

>Of course this is only important if you want to b e able to resolve very
small structures. If you do not want to be resolving down to 210nm then
your 40x oil and 63x water imersion objective will be just fine.

>I can send you (and anyone else on the list) a copy of the reoprt with
the comparison of the 63x vs the 100x lens if you want.

>Cheers
>
>Cam
>

>Cameron Nowell B.Sc (Hons)
>Microscopy Imaging and Research Core Facility Peter MacCallum Cancer
Centre

>7 St Andrews Place
>East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
>
>Phone: +61396561243
>Mobile: +61422882700

James Pawley James Pawley

Re: Objective for confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: Objective for confocal
Hi all,

Let's start by saying that I am all in favor of people constantly monitoring the performance of their confocal microscopes (particularly z-resolution and photon collection efficiency)...

Yes, strictly speaking, the size of the focus spot is affected only by the NA and the wavelength (not the objective lens magnification). While in single-beam confocal, the magnification is controlled by the size of the scanned raster, in disk-scanning of normal widefield, it is controlled by the objective magnification. I won't talk much about disk-scanning/wiidefield today except to note that when judging "image brightness" using data obtained from a CCD, one must be fair and always correct for the effective area of each CCD pixel, referred to the image plane: a pixel that covers more area on a bright part of the specimen can be expected to collect more light... This will happen if one uses an objective of lower magnification unless one compensates by changing the magnification of the phototube.

In addition, it is also true that the maximum NA that one can use effectively varies with the refractive index (RI) of the medium in which the specimen is suspended (or, if the specimen is a transparent solid, the average  RI of the specimen itself): NA<1.2 for water specimens, NA<1.25 for glycerol specimens and NA<1.49 for oil-embedded specimens. Using a NA 1.4 oil lens on a watery specimen will only be advantageous if one confines ones interest to that part of the specimen which is within a micron or two of the coverslip surface and even then, rays at angles greater than about NA 1.3 will not contribute to the image because they totally reflect at the water/glass interface.

To use any objective designed to work with one immersion medium on a specimen having a different RI will produce spherical aberration: a circumstance that will not only make the image blurry but will also make the peak brightness of the image of any point object appear less intense. In actual fact, the match between specimen RI and lens-design RI is almost never perfect and this is why having a TIRF objective with a correction collar is a great advantage (but only for oil-embedded specimens or those within a micron or two of the coverglass surface.) This RI-mismatch problem is MUCH more severe at high NA, particularly for high-NA "dry" objectives (which as a result, often have correction collars.)

However there are other important factors related to NA and resolution that have not yet been discussed.

When one considers a laser confocal (single-beam or disk-scanner), the most important of these is the matter of whether or not the laser beam "fills" the back-focal plane (BFP) of a particular objective lens. If you look at a 100x NA 1.4 and a 63x NA 1.4 from the back side, you will see that the diameter of the glass in the latter is larger.  That of a 40x NA 1.3 is larger still.

A simple way to understand why this should be so is to imagine that these are "simple" lenses (thin, one-element lenses). In a thin lens, all the "focusing action" is thought of as taking place at the principle plane in the middle of this thin lens. In particular, that any light emerging from a point in the focal plane on one side of the lens will leave the other side of the lens as a parallel ray-bundle. If the point is on the optical axis, the emerging parallel ray bundle will be parallel with this axis.

In round figures, the focal length of the 100x objective will be about 2 mm and that of the 63x about 3 mm. Because they have the same NA, they will both accept the same cone of light from a point on the specimen. However, because of the different focal lengths, the high-NA rays from the 63x will be ~50% farther from the axis when they reach the principle plane than those from the 100x. Consequently, the part of the back-focal plane that is used will have a larger diameter. If one is to use this lens at its rated NA, the ray bundle in the BFP must be at least this big.

Now imagine the light from the laser going in the opposite direction. Clearly the bundle of light from the laser has some diameter as it reaches the BFP of the objective. This diameter will depend on the specifics of the beam expander used to convert the light from the fiber into a ~parallel ray bundle.  It is obvious that if the diameter is large enough to "fill" the BFP of the 63x, then it will overfill that of the 100x (i.e., more than half of the light will strike the metal around the edge of the glass elements and so not progress to the specimen. It may be worse than this because the obstructed light may reflect off components of the optical system and end up being mistakenly collected as signal.)  Although it is possible to change the parameters of the beam expander in the confocal scanner to compensate for this change, this is seldom done as it requires fabricating a diffraction-limited zoom lens.

Consequently, each confocal is characterized by providing a ray bundle or a certain size at the estimated location of the objective BFP (An axial location, by the way, that depends on the objective lens focal length. In the example above, the 63x BFP would be 6 mm from the focus plane, that of the 100x, 4mm). If the ray bundle is large enough to fill only the 100x, only this lens will operate at its rated NA "on the way down" (Light coming back from the specimen will be accepted by any lens to the full angle of its rated NA.). As a result, it will produce a smaller spot in the specimen (because the 63x is NOT being operated at its rated NA) that is also has a higher peak brightness (because it is smaller).

On the other hand, if the ray bundle is big enough to fill the 63x, both the 100x and the 63X will produce a spot of the same size but much of the power in the laser beam will be strike the metal of the 100x and consequently the not hit the specimen, making the image will appear dimmer with the 100x.

So far so good. The bad part is that "the ray bundle" from the beam expander doesn't actually have a constant brightness from the center to its edge, and then go to zero. In general, its intensity varies with distance from the axis in a Gaussian manner. In other words it doesn't have "a diameter" but its intensity always drops off away from the axis. The designer can decide how large to make this Gaussian beam. He/she could design it so that only the central 10% (in area) goes through the usable part of the 100x BFP (or the central ~20% goes through the usable part of the 63x BFP). By using only the central part of the Gaussian distribution in this way, the intensity will be almost constant across the BFP and this means that the spot really will be an Airy disk, not the somewhat larger Gaussian spot that one gets when the BFP is filled by a Gaussian. However, this will also mean that, 90% of the laser light is being wasted.  As lasers usually put out much more light (5-15 mW) than one wants to expose a specimen to (1-20 microwatts), this only a serious loss if one wishes to use the beam for intentional bleaching or uncaging etc. Still, this is a strategy that few confocal manufacturers pursue.

It is more common for the designer to set up the optics so that about 80% of the  light will sort-of fill the BFP of a 63x 1.4 (and that therefore a 40x NA 1.3 will be be severely under-filled). If this is so, then the 100x will be filled with almost constant intensity and will show slightly better resolution (assuming no spherical aberration etc.) than the 63x because the latter will produce an almost-Gaussian spot with a slightly larger "full-width at half maximum". However, you would have to look hard to see this change in resolution because, it is a small change to start with (~10%) and in addition, the NA of the signal-collection path will be the same on both systems. With a small pinhole, the measured x-y-z resolution depends on both the illumination and collection light paths. (i.e., If you want to see this effect, image a planar array of fluorescent beads and use a large pinhole size. Don't forget that the pinhole diameter should still be ~50% larger with the 100x.)

All this makes it hard to evaluate the optical performance of any objective if you don't know the ray bundle diameter at the objective BFP. The best way to measure this directly is to set up Kohler illumination using  an NA 1.4 oil-immersion condenser (and don't forget to oil the condenser and use an oiled specimen!). Stop the scanning beam near to the axis and  hold a white card so that you can see the shape of the light bundle that emerges from the condenser on the side away from the specimen. You should see a circle of light that has a sharp edge corresponding to the edge of the aperture diaphragm. Open this diaphragm until the sharp edge is no longer illuminated and then note the NA setting of the condenser. That is the NA to which your objective was illuminated.

If you don't have an oil condenser (most inverted scopes don't), you can make an approximate measurement using a low-mag dry lens with an a NA that is high for its mag (say a 10x NA 0.45 or NA. 0.5) but is still lower than that of the condenser mounted on your scope. Don't forget to set up Kohler illumination. The active diameter of the BFP of a 10x NA 0.45 will be about 2x larger than that of a 60x NA 1.4. (The focal length is about 6x longer but the NA is ~3x smaller.) However, as the BFP will occur at a plane that is optically about 40 mm from the specimen (rather than 6 mm for the 63x), it may not give a totally accurate estimate of the size of the ray bundle for the higher mag lens.

And then there is the matter of whether or not high-NA objectives are actually diffraction limited. In Chapter 11 of the Handbook, Rimas Juskaitis actually measures this and reports that he has yet to test an objective in which diffraction-limited performance extended beyond NA 1.35. In addition, although imaging performance was often close to diffraction-limited on the axis, it became much worse towards the edges of the field of view, especially on lower mag lenses of a given NA. Although this work was done about 5 years ago and newer lenses may be better, I think that it is unwise to assume that an objective will produce optical performance that is limited only by the NA engraved on the lens barrel.

I hope that this helps explain some of the inconsistencies that are bound to crop up in measurements of this type, particularly if one doesn't know what is happening at the objective BFP.

Good luck,

Jim P.
Prof. James B. Pawley,                                          Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,                                  FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706                                [hidden email]
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 14-26, 2008, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/            Applications due by March 15, 2008
               "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.
mmodel mmodel

Re: Objective for confocal

Our Olympus x100's have smaller back apertures and achieve higher effective NA's.  If yours are the same, that may explain some of your results.

Mike

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi Ann,
>           To follow up from Julio's comments. The higher NA will give
you improved resolution. A 1.42 NA object theoreticatly can resolve down
to 210nm at 488nm exitation. That holds true for what ever the
magnification the objective has.

>We have compared a 63x 1.42 NA to a 100x 1.42 NA objective. Both were
Olympus UIS2 PlanApo objectives. Both could resolve the same structures.
But the big difference was the amount of light that was needed to capture
an image with the 100x objective. On average 7x more light input was
required to get image with the 100x lens that was equivalent to the 63x
lens.

>So my advice woudl be to get a 63x 1.42 NA objective, or better yet a 40x
1.4NA if you can find one (they are being made by Nikon i think but not
sure about others).

>Of course this is only important if you want to b e able to resolve very
small structures. If you do not want to be resolving down to 210nm then
your 40x oil and 63x water imersion objective will be just fine.

>I can send you (and anyone else on the list) a copy of the reoprt with
the comparison of the 63x vs the 100x lens if you want.

>Cheers
>
>Cam
>

>Cameron Nowell B.Sc (Hons)
>Microscopy Imaging and Research Core Facility Peter MacCallum Cancer
Centre

>7 St Andrews Place
>East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
>
>Phone: +61396561243
>Mobile: +61422882700

Hi List,
        This is always a fun topic:)

I should quantify the test we carried out here.

The tests were carried out on the following lenses on an Olympus FV1000 single photon, non-spectral confocal
- 63x NA 1.42 UPlanApo UIS2
- 100x NA 1.4 UPlanApo UIS2

The reason for the test were that we had a lab pushing to get a 100x objective because of the increased magnification. The tests were carried out to demonstrate that the 100x lens would be more detrimental to their samples (ie bleaching) and would not provide any greater resolution.

The tests were carried out on drosophila embryos that were mounted in glycerol

The end result was that laser power had to be boosted, leading to faster bleaching, to get an equivalent image with the 100x when compared to the 60x. This is all based on our confocal and result may be different for other machines and lens combinations.

Cheers

Cam