Optoelectronic device

Andreas Bahmer Andreas Bahmer

Optoelectronic device

Dear List,

can anybody give me an advice what the following opto-eletronic device is for?

https://imgur.com/a/AhnXyb8

best
Andreas Bahmer
University Frankfurt
Gerhard Holst Gerhard Holst

AW: Optoelectronic device

Hi Andreas,

I don't know for sure, but it looks like either an avalanche photodiode or SPAD sensor or maybe, due to the 4 contacts, to a position sensitive photo-detector, but I have never seen it before.
Why is it of interest?

Best regards,
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard Holst
Head of Research & Science
Business Development
+49 (0) 9441 2005 570

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de
Vorstand / Managing Board: Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Emil Ott
USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

University Frankfurt
Aryeh Weiss Aryeh Weiss

Re: Optoelectronic device

My guess is that it is a 4-quadrant position detector.

Might help to know what it came from.

Best regards
--aryeh

--
Aryeh Weiss
Faculty of Engineering

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051
Mark Cannell-2 Mark Cannell-2

Re: Optoelectronic device

HI

It indeed looks like a 4 quadrant photodiode -can be used for measuring beam position and circularity. Don't the numbers on the can google to anything?

Cheers

Mark B. Cannell. Ph.D. FRSNZ FISHR
Department of Physiology, Pharmacology & Neuroscience
School of Medical Sciences
University Walk
Bristol BS8 1TD

[hidden email]

On 2/10/20, 8:28 AM, "Confocal Microscopy List on behalf of Gerhard Holst" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Andreas,

    I don't know for sure, but it looks like either an avalanche photodiode or SPAD sensor or maybe, due to the 4 contacts, to a position sensitive photo-detector, but I have never seen it before.
    Why is it of interest?

    Best regards,
    Gerhard

    Dr. Gerhard Holst
    Head of Research & Science
    Business Development
    +49 (0) 9441 2005 570

    PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de
    Vorstand / Managing Board: Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar
    Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Emil Ott
    USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157
    Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

Beat Ludin Beat Ludin

Re: Optoelectronic device

I agree with Aryeh - this looks very much like a quadrant photodiode.

Best regards,
Beat

At 09:04 02/10/2020, you wrote:

>*****
>To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
>*****
>
>Dear List,

>can anybody give me an advice what the following opto-eletronic device is for?

>https://imgur.com/a/AhnXyb8

>best
>Andreas Bahmer
>University Frankfurt
Andreas Bahmer Andreas Bahmer

Aw: AW: Optoelectronic device

Hi Gerhard,

thank you for the email.
I found it in a setup which I demounted. So I was just curious what I can do with this. I am a recycler by heart. The most precious would be an avalance photodiode. However the splitting into 4 quadrants does not make sense then.

best
Andreas

Gesendet: Freitag, 02. Oktober 2020 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Gerhard Holst" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: AW: Optoelectronic device
Post images on http://www.imgur.com[http://www.imgur.com] and include the link in your posting.
*****

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de[http://www.pco.de]
Vorstand / Managing Board: Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Emil Ott
USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

can anybody give me an advice what the following opto-eletronic device is for?

https://imgur.com/a/AhnXyb8[https://imgur.com/a/AhnXyb8]

best
Andreas Bahmer
University Frankfurt
Andreas Bahmer Andreas Bahmer

Aw: Re: Optoelectronic device

Thank you! But how can it measure circularity? Is it not too slow?

best
Andreas

Michael Shribak Michael Shribak

Re: Optoelectronic device

Hi Andreas,

In 1980th similar 4-quadrant photodiodes were used in laser videodisc and CD players in order to generate the followings signals.
1. push-pull radial tracking signal: (S1+S2)-(S3+S4);
2. focus error signal in astigmatic method: (S1+S3)-(S2+S4) or S1xS3-S2xS4;
3. information signal: S1+S2+S3+S4.

I think such photodiodes were also used for laser guidance.

Best,
Michael Shribak

Very interesting, thank you!

Andreas

Gesendet: Samstag, 03. Oktober 2020 um 03:00 Uhr
Von: "Michael Shribak" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Post images on http://www.imgur.com[http://www.imgur.com] and include the link in your posting.
*****

Hi Andreas,

In 1980th similar 4-quadrant photodiodes were used in laser videodisc and CD players in order to generate the followings signals.
1. push-pull radial tracking signal: (S1+S2)-(S3+S4);
2. focus error signal in astigmatic method: (S1+S3)-(S2+S4) or S1xS3-S2xS4;
3. information signal: S1+S2+S3+S4.

I think such photodiodes were also used for laser guidance.

Best,
Michael Shribak

> On Oct 2, 2020, at 8:52:19 AM, Andreas Bahmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy[http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy]
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com[http://www.imgur.com] and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Hi Gerhard,
>
> thank you for the email.
> I found it in a setup which I demounted. So I was just curious what I can do with this. I am a recycler by heart. The most precious would be an avalance photodiode. However the splitting into 4 quadrants does not make sense then.
>
> best
> Andreas
>

> Gesendet: Freitag, 02. Oktober 2020 um 09:22 Uhr
> Von: "Gerhard Holst" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: AW: Optoelectronic device
> *****
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy[http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy]
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com[http://www.imgur.com][http://www.imgur.com[http://www.imgur.com]] and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I don't know for sure, but it looks like either an avalanche photodiode or SPAD sensor or maybe, due to the 4 contacts, to a position sensitive photo-detector, but I have never seen it before.
> Why is it of interest?
>
> Best regards,
> Gerhard
>

> Dr. Gerhard Holst
> Head of Research & Science
> Business Development
> +49 (0) 9441 2005 570
>
> PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de[http://www.pco.de][http://www.pco.de[http://www.pco.de]]
> Vorstand / Managing Board: Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Emil Ott
> USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157
> Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

Hi Michael,

 https://imgur.com/a/2xqtVld

That is what it is you are right, and it is extrem fast as there is no multiplexing. It reminds me on the principle of a photomultplier based "camera" with exactly this principle and therefore an extrem fast readout which was shown at the german bioimaging conference https://www.gerbi-gmb.de/tim2020 from the company https://www.photonscore.de/ (I am employed at university frankfurt, so no commercial interest).

best
Andreas

Gesendet: Samstag, 03. Oktober 2020 um 03:00 Uhr
Von: "Michael Shribak" <[hidden email]>