Re: Help with EMCCD evaluation*Commercial Response*

Gerard Whoriskey-3 Gerard Whoriskey-3

Re: Help with EMCCD evaluation*Commercial Response*

On the phototoxicity point due to delays causing cells to be exposed to
light for too long.

One elegant solution would be to have no mechanical elements in the system
that need to be triggered. Instead just trigger the light source and have
no moving parts. This can now be done with some LED systems which means
that there should be no need for slow mechanical shutters or filter
wheels. Or faster expensive ones either.

The CoolLed precisExcite LED system can be controlled by TTL and will
switch on and off in microseconds. Filters can also be incorporated into
the unit so removing the need for filter wheels altogether. The narrow
band peaks from the LED source also means no need for extra UV blocking
filters when looking at sensitive live cells and percentage control means
no need for ND filters.

However this still does not get around the problem of the software delay
activating the trigger. I assume the solution is to trigger the light in
parallel or even after the camera. The CoolLED system would illuminate the
full field at once. So you would not get one side of the image exposed
longer than the other, like if you tried this with a slow shutter.

Please feel free to contact off line for more details.

Regards,

Gerry

Gerard Whoriskey
Development Engineer
CoolLED Ltd
CIL House
Charlton Road
Andover
Hampshire
SP10 3JL

Mob: 07789535762
Tel: +44 (0) 1264 321321
Dir: +44 (0)1264 320984
web site: www.coolled.com

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:59:55 +0000, Nuno Moreno <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi!
>
>If it is for cell imaging you might consider a BT camera.
>
>Forcing the previous point, which I thing is very important:
>
>I'm having the same problem with an ORCA AG with ImagePro Plus.  What I
>have now is a small program called by macros that controls an external
>shutter via TTL, which makes a delay till it opens the shutter. I found
>out that the driver takes almost 500ms to get the camera taking a
>picture which is unacceptable! However this solution is far from being
>elegant and sometimes the pseudo synchronization fails! Is this a
>Hamamatsu problem? With a Hamamatsu BT1024 which has a QE>90% it
>happends the same thing with metamorph.
>
>Regarding to the previous commercial response, does anyone have a
>cheaper and more flexible solution?
>
>Regards,
>NM
>

>Nowell, Cameron wrote:
>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>> Hi Neville,
>>               While an EMCCD camera will decrease your exposure time,
you may find that it will not really help solve your phototoxicity
problem. The time your cells are exposed to fluorecent light will not
neccesarily be dependant on the exposure time of your camera, but on how
fast your entire sytem (microscope, shutters, filters, etc.) shuffles
everything around.

>> What software etc are you using to capture your images?
>>
>> We have a wide filed live cell rig here that uses an Orca ER camera on
an IX81 microscope and it is all driven by metamorph. Even when the camera
is capturing at 100ms exposures, the samples are exposed to flourecent
light for about 2 seconds. To get rid of these sort of delays you need to
move to using filter wheels, or for even shorter exposuers something like
olympus' CellR system

http://www.photomet.com/library/library_encyclopedia/library_enc_gain.php