Re: Ideas for good, unusual labels for fixed cells? *vendor reply*

Kilgore, Jason A. Kilgore, Jason A.

Re: Ideas for good, unusual labels for fixed cells? *vendor reply*

** vendor reply **

If the cells are fixed, but not permeabilized yet, you can label with a WGA conjugate for the plasma membrane, then permeabilize and label with other dyes/antibodies. There are also various different colored nuclear dye options in different wavelengths. The most selective in each wavelength for fixed cells include: DAPI or Hoechst 33342 for blue, SYTOX Green for green, 7-AAD for red (but it is wide in spectrum, so maybe not), or TO-PRO-3 or DRAQ5 for far red.

But if you label live, and THEN fix the cells, it opens up a lot of options for you, including:

- CellLight reagents, as long as your cells are not hematopoietic in nature, can transduce your cell over night for a number of different organelles and structures and is retained after fixation and permeabilization. GFP, RFP, and CFP options are available for many targets. They all share the same product manual, which has a comprehensive table of organelle and color options to choose from.

- MitoTracker Red CMXRos, MitoTracker Orange, or MitoTracker Deep Red, for mitochondria (MitoTracker Green FM is not fixable)

- WGA conjugates for plasma membrane. Concanavalin A conjugates also work well.

- LysoTracker Red (lysosomes) (other LysoTrackers are not retained with fixation)

- ER-Tracker Blue-white (ER-Tracker Green and ER-Tracker Red are also fixable but, unlike the blue-white version, don't survive permeabilization well).

- the various labeled 3K or 10K MW dextrans, as long as they are labeled "fixable" or "lysine fixable", which can be taken up into endosomes and fixed in place afterward.

Please let me know if you need further help,

Jason

Jason A. Kilgore
Technical Application Scientist
Molecular Probes / EVOS Tech Support