Re: Long shift dyes ** vendor reply **

Kilgore, Jason A. Kilgore, Jason A.

Re: Long shift dyes ** vendor reply **

** vendor reply **

I agree, Timothy, that this is a neglected area and becoming more so. Yes, there are some flow dye options, but unfortunately many of them rely on phycobiliproteins (mainly RPE and APC) which photobleach badly.

One option is quantum dots, such as Qdot products. All the Qdots excite optimally down in the UV range, but emit much higher (we have options at 525 nm all the way up to 800) in reasonable tight emission curves. Though Qdots have their drawbacks, too (mainly size, being 15-20 nm in diameter, which can lead to a loss of fine resolution compared to organic dyes and a little harder to get into the nuclear compartment unless well-permeabilized. They also blink under many conditions, and they are picky about mounting media).

Jason

Jason A. Kilgore
Technical Application Scientist
Molecular Probes / EVOS Tech Support
Life Sciences Solutions

Re: Long shift dyes ... SuperBrights (Thermo, but only 5plex), Phitonex (now Thermo, 20plex FRET constructs), Brilliant Ultraviolets Violets Blues Yellow-Green (BD Biosciences, see also BioLgend, Jackson Immunoresearch)

SuperBrights (Thermo, but only 5plex), Phitonex (now Thermo, 20plex FRET
constructs), Brilliant Ultraviolets Violets Blues Yellow-Green (BD
Biosciences, see also BioLgend, Jackson Immunoresearch).

Also, Beckman Coulter (Danaher) SuperNova's,
https://www.beckman.com/reagents/coulter-flow-cytometry/supernova-fluorescent-polymer-dyes
(SuperNova v428 spectra looks a lot like BV421, and first two tandems
similar looking to BV's ... "proprietary" to me means just that someone
in marketing is into big words).

BV421 worked well for us anti-CD11c mouse dendritic cells in PBS,
63x/1.4NA Leica SP8 confocal, 405nm excitation.

StreamBio UK (yes, UK, not America)
https://www.streambio.co.uk/products/   ... 9plex (really 7plex ignoring
the two way-out NIR) Conjugated Polymer Nanoparticles (sub-resolution).

George

p.s. SuperBright and Brilliant tandems (and SuperNova's, if not simply
rebranded BVs) ... should be a lot of fun on fast TCSPC FLIM confocal
microscopes, donore and EACH acceptor channel. If the donor (ex. BV421)
is a lot brighter, could put two (or more) detectors on to that
fluorophore. I am especially curious what fast FLIM confocal microscopes
can distinguish BV421 and SB436 by 'lifetime only'.