Re: Proper Nyquist sampling with a 1.45 NA objective and a 16x16 um pixel EMCCD camera

Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Re: Proper Nyquist sampling with a 1.45 NA objective and a 16x16 um pixel EMCCD camera

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hello John,

 Perhaps you may be able to fit a proper lens in this extender... http://www.magbiosystems.com/products/XTender.php.

HTH
Shalin
On 8/2/07, John Oreopoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Someone had mentioned that the tube lens is the optovar for Olympus. I suppose instead of inserting additional lenses, I could remove the tube lens from the bottom of the trinocular, and then replace this single lens with another high quality lens, bearing in mind that the camera position then needs to change vertically along the optical axis so that everything is parfocal again.

Alexa had suggested buying a box of lenses and trying each one out individually until the magnification is right. Is it possible to calculate what focal length to use, where to place it and where the camera should be placed to be parfocal? Or is trial and error a simpler method? Does anyone know of a book or journal article that talks about modifying a microscope in this manner?

My microscope does have a 1.5x slider, and this does help a bit, but then the back projected pixel length is still only 178 nm instead of 91 nm.

John

On 1-Aug-07, at 10:10 PM, Farid Jalali wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi John,
I spoke to George from Olympus about this very issue this week, and apparently there is or there will soon be a coupling tube (I think that's what its called) that we can mount in front of the camera to give us the extra Mag needed to get us closer to Nyquist in X-Y using the 16umx16um Cascade's. You should ask him about this specifically for your IX70 frame. We have the IX81 frame and will not be able to use the part with the DSU.

Hope all is well.
Cheers
Farid

On 8/1/07, Armstrong, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at

Some Olympus IX70 scopes came with a mag changer that is 1.6X, and there
is optional 2X mag changer. If your scope body does not already have the
slot for the mag changer (it is a slider) you might be able to have your
engineering dept make you one. Just a thought!
Cheers,

Brian D Armstrong PhD
Light Microscopy Core Manager
Beckman Research Institute