Re: fluorescein diacetate (fda) ** vendor response **

Kilgore, Jason A. Kilgore, Jason A.

Re: fluorescein diacetate (fda) ** vendor response **

** vendor response **

Yes, any amount of water will hydrolyze the diacetate. The stock probably got hydrated.

This can include the tiny amount absorbed in DMSO, which is more typically used to make the stock rather than acetone (even small amounts of acetone after dilution can be injurious to cells, but cells are more resistant to DMSO).

Here at Molecular Probes Tech Support, we actually recommend performing a dry down aliquoting for long term storage rather than hoping the DMSO or other solvent is truly anhydrous.

For FDA and CMFDA, we recommend bringing up the stock in CHCl3:MeOH mix, CHCl3, MeCN or Ethylacetate as the solvent, at 1 mg/mL, then aliquot into single-use tubes (such as PCR tubes), then put the tubes into a vacuum bell or chamber and pull a vacuum on it with house vacuum or a vacuum pump (and tubing that is compatible with these solvents). Once the solvent has evaporated off and it is back to powder, cap and seal the tubes, put them in a baggie with a desiccant pack, and store at -20 until ready to use.

Jason

Jason A. Kilgore
Technical Application Scientist
Molecular Probes / EVOS Tech Support
Life Sciences Solutions

Re: fluorescein diacetate (fda) ** vendor response **

Thank you to all those who replied, both on-list and off-list.

The consensus is that we need to make sure there is no water in the
solvent.

However, if the fda was hydrolyzed, I would have expected that tube of
stock solution to be highly fluorescent, and it was not.
One response suggested that the dye was in the leuco form.

Are there derivatives of fda that are more stable in the presence of
small amounts of water?

Best regards
--aryeh

--