Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Allan Kachelmeier Allan Kachelmeier

Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Hi,

We have an iris on the 488 on a BioRad 1024 which is stuck, and
doesn't open or close with the slider. The service quotation is to
replace the PMT assembly. I'm wondering whether anyone has experience
to share with a stuck iris, and whether particular parts, as opposed
to the whole assembly, might be available. Thanks.

Allan Kachelmeier
Manager, confocal microscopy core
Oregon Hearing Research Center
OHSU
Nuno Moreno Nuno Moreno

Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Hi

As far as I know the mrc1024 uses a futaba iris which is a brand for radio model
cars. Try to have a look to the Part No. and ask them directly.
http://www.futaba.com/

Regards,
NM

Quoting Allan Kachelmeier <[hidden email]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi,
>
> We have an iris on the 488 on a BioRad 1024 which is stuck, and
> doesn't open or close with the slider. The service quotation is to
> replace the PMT assembly. I'm wondering whether anyone has experience
> to share with a stuck iris, and whether particular parts, as opposed
> to the whole assembly, might be available. Thanks.
>
> Allan Kachelmeier
> Manager, confocal microscopy core
> Oregon Hearing Research Center
> OHSU

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024
Nuno,

          What on earth does a radio-controlled model car need
an iris for?  I'm intrigued.

                                                                           Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
http://www.guycox.net

As far as I know the mrc1024 uses a futaba iris which is a brand for radio model
cars. Try to have a look to the Part No. and ask them directly.
http://www.futaba.com/

Regards,
NM

Quoting Allan Kachelmeier <[hidden email]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi,
>
> We have an iris on the 488 on a BioRad 1024 which is stuck, and
> doesn't open or close with the slider. The service quotation is to
> replace the PMT assembly. I'm wondering whether anyone has experience
> to share with a stuck iris, and whether particular parts, as opposed
> to the whole assembly, might be available. Thanks.
>
> Allan Kachelmeier
> Manager, confocal microscopy core
> Oregon Hearing Research Center
> OHSU

Dan Focht Dan Focht

Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Guy

I cannot confirm the use of the Futaba motor on the 1024 but I can comment on the attributes of that type of proportional control.
The hobby industry uses a unique form of position control based on the phase change of a 50Hz signal where  phase shifts between 5ms - 17.5ms within that 20ms period of the signal translate to proportional rotation of a lever.  The interface circuitry is easy to build.  When the lever moves it is reasonably repeatable, smooth and has plenty of torque to move an iris.  It provides an inexpensive means of analog position control.  It is not optimal for precision optical positioning but great for proof of concept.  I was not aware that this type of control was used on a 1024 but I will investigate the next time I have an opportunity. I am too curious for my own good!

Dan

Nuno Moreno Nuno Moreno

Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Hi,

They also make miniature machinery. I also made myself that question :)

Regards,
NM

--
Nuno Moreno
Cell Imaging Unit
fax   +351 214407970
Allan Kachelmeier Allan Kachelmeier

Re: stuck iris on a BioRad 1024

Thanks for the suggestions on how to get a stuck iris unstuck. It
turned out that Simon's suggestion of moving the actuator arm back and
forth a few times before turning on the machine worked. BTW the
actuator mechanism, what opens and closes the iris, perhaps not the
iris itself, is made by Futaba.

Regards,

Allan