Thickness measurements of polymer films

Niklas Lorén Niklas Lorén

Thickness measurements of polymer films

Dear all,

We have a mixture of polymers and solvent that forms a film. The solvent is evaporating, which leads to shrinkage of the film. We are performing a xzt-scan using CLSM to minitor the thickness of the film as a function of time. However, the CLSM is overestimating the thickness of the film. Then we compare profilometry and CLSM measurements of the film in the end, it differs a factor 2 - 3 times. This is probably due to refractive index mismatch or other phenomena. I wonder if anyone has looked into strategies (experimental or numerical) about how to correct the thickness obtained using CLSM or if you know about relevant literature to read in the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Niklas Lorén
Jana Nieder-2 Jana Nieder-2

Re: Thickness measurements of polymer films

Hi Niklas,

For thin films < 5um thick - consider our new CLeANFIT  technique – all optical, but it requires FLIM detection.
"CLeANFIT – Contact‐Less Axial Nearfield‐Based Fluorescence Imaging Topography: A Method for 3D Micro‐ and Nanotopography Characterization”,  Ima Ghaeli  Ricardo M. R. Adão  Jana B. Nieder, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2020, 2000581
First published: 05 October 2020

Contact me if you are interested to learn more about it.

Best regards,
Jana Nieder

***********
Dr. rer. nat. Jana B. Nieder
Group Leader of the Ultrafast Bio- and Nanophotonics Group/
Head of Nanophotonics and Bioimaging Corporate Facilities

INL - International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory
An Intergovernmental Organisation (IGO)
Headquarters address:
Av. Mestre José Veiga s/n

4715-330 Braga – Portugal

On 27 Oct 2020, at 11:54, Niklas Lorén <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.umn.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3Dconfocalmicroscopy&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cjana.nieder%40INL.INT%7C29f3d9d88e0b4898777908d87a6f3dbb%7C355b5522991344b79660d3e39ad5f67a%7C0%7C0%7C637393965479209603%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=LjotNWbs8vcoH6Yw0KEsCDCCDRsjX0cJDEOWsMfVsjQ%3D&amp;reserved=0
Post images on https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imgur.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cjana.nieder%40INL.INT%7C29f3d9d88e0b4898777908d87a6f3dbb%7C355b5522991344b79660d3e39ad5f67a%7C0%7C0%7C637393965479209603%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=3LQ8KVZQCjZOtpugwF5X3SsLfSfOmF3CLVtaHXj9Wcs%3D&amp;reserved=0 and include the link in your posting.
*****

Dear all,

We have a mixture of polymers and solvent that forms a film. The solvent is evaporating, which leads to shrinkage of the film. We are performing a xzt-scan using CLSM to minitor the thickness of the film as a function of time. However, the CLSM is overestimating the thickness of the film. Then we compare profilometry and CLSM measurements of the film in the end, it differs a factor 2 - 3 times. This is probably due to refractive index mismatch or other phenomena. I wonder if anyone has looked into strategies (experimental or numerical) about how to correct the thickness obtained using CLSM or if you know about relevant literature to read in the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Niklas Lorén

mmodel mmodel

Re: Thickness measurements of polymer films

Dear Niklas,
Confocal scanning is a standard profilometry technique to measure material thickness, by measuring the positions of the strongest reflection. You obviously need to correct for refractive index. For moderate NA, the linear correction formula is accurate enough. You can verify it by measuring the thickness of a coverslip, for example. Of course if your film is very thin, close to the vertical resolution limit, then the blur may become a problem. Or could it be that the transition between liquid and solid polymer is gradual and not as clearly defined as in chemicals that form crystals?

Mike

Re: [External] Thickness measurements of polymer films

Hi Niklas,

Erin Diel, Jeff Lichtman, and Douglas Richardson have a wonderful paper in Nature Protocols about correcting the axial distortion from refractive index mismatch and also provide a very useful ImageJ/Fiji macro for applying the correction as well as determining the optimal z-step size. I have this macro on all of our core computers with a motorized z stage.

Best,
Will

We have a mixture of polymers and solvent that forms a film. The solvent is evaporating, which leads to shrinkage of the film. We are performing a xzt-scan using CLSM to minitor the thickness of the film as a function of time. However, the CLSM is overestimating the thickness of the film. Then we compare profilometry and CLSM measurements of the film in the end, it differs a factor 2 - 3 times. This is probably due to refractive index mismatch or other phenomena. I wonder if anyone has looked into strategies (experimental or numerical) about how to correct the thickness obtained using CLSM or if you know about relevant literature to read in the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Niklas Lorén

prohibited.

Douglas Richardson Douglas Richardson

Re: [External] Thickness measurements of polymer films

Thanks Will, glad to hear it's been useful.  Happy to send the PDF to
anyone who doesn't have access. Just send me an email:
[hidden email]

-Doug