Used volume of CO2

Aurélie Jost Aurélie Jost

Used volume of CO2

Dear all,

For the planning of the new building in which the facility will be hosted, I am asked to make an estimation of the volume of CO2 needed (e.g. per month) and I should give this estimation on an extremely short notice.
Maybe some of you have such a number (please also specify how many microscopes you have that use CO2 for live cell imaging) which could help me as an orientation?

Many thanks
Kind regards
Aurélie

Aurélie Jost, Ph.D.

Microverse Imaging Center, Friedrich Schiller University Jena
Philosophenweg 7, 07743 Jena, Germany
+49(0) 3641 9 47658
okolab okolab

Re: Used volume of CO2

Hi Aurelie,
CO2 is stored in liquid form at high pressure, hence cylinders' sizes are
given in Kilograms.

40 Kg is a quite typical size. From CO2 specific weight and then ideal gas
law you can calculate that it corresponds to about 22K liters at ambient
conditions, from here you can calculate according to the equipment in your
lab requiring CO2.

For instance a microscope incubator is typically fed with an Air+5%CO2
mixture on average at 0.3 L/min, that means with a CO2 consumption of 0.015
L/min.

Therefore with only one microscope incubator connected, the CO2 cylinder
will last about 1K days of continuous use.
This should give you some useful inputs.

Hope this helps,
Luca

--

<http://oko-lab.com/>

Luca Lanzaro, PhD

CEO

[hidden email]

www.oko-lab.com

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/okolab> <https://twitter.com/Okolabgroup>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGzILbsxPMsgPu1Obj7frqw>

Italy - Via Olivetti 1, Pozzuoli, (NA), 80078

USA - 233 Merchant Street, Suite 500, Ambridge, PA - 15003

China - Room3732, 37F, Tower B, Xincaohejing International Business Center,
No.391 Guiping Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai 200233