Visitech/Metamorph confocal

Knecht, David Knecht, David

Visitech/Metamorph confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Has anyone had experience with the Visitech Infinity multipoint confocal system or the new Metamorph ICS variant?  We have been planning on buying a spinning disk but I am wondering if we should look at this alternative.  Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Co-head Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

Arne Seitz-2 Arne Seitz-2

Re: Visitech/Metamorph confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Hi Dave,

we recently tested the Visitech Infinity and compared it with “conventional” spinning disc microscopes.

Depending on the specimen it definitively performs as well/as bad as a spinning disk microscope. We obtained really good results with more or less flat cells (HeLa cells). The results obtained with zebra fish as a sample were a little bit less convincing. We made the tests with an EM-CCD camera (Cascade II, roper Scientific, 16 µm pixels). Drawback of this approach is that one can only use high magnification objectives to do Nyquist sampling. Thus to make uses of the adjustable pinholes of the system one would have to use a different (less sensitive) camera.

If you have further questions you can contact me also off-list.

Cheers Arne

(no commercial interests)

Dr. Arne Seitz, Scientific Officer

Advanced Light Microscopy Facility