Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Petro Petro

Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Hi, list.
I was told recently by a Leica engineer that he encountered many Leica
objectives destroyed by Zeiss oil. I was not able to figure out from him if
he was pooling my leg (which I think is the case) or was talking seriously.
Thanks.
Petro.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory of Advanced Optical Microscopy
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the CAS
Flemingovo nám. 2 | 166 10 Praha 6 | Czech Republic
Eva Wegel Eva Wegel

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Hi Petro

We have been doing this for more than six years without any problems on confocal and widefield systems.

Best regards
Eva

Dr. Eva Wegel
JIC Bioimaging
John Innes Centre
Norwich Research Park
Colney Lane
Norwich NR4 7UH

I was told recently by a Leica engineer that he encountered many Leica objectives destroyed by Zeiss oil. I was not able to figure out from him if he was pooling my leg (which I think is the case) or was talking seriously.
Thanks.
Petro.
Petro Petro

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Thanks,
A  nice joke played with me :). I will pay it back once he comes again :)

--
______________________________
Petro Khoroshyy
Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory of Advanced Optical Microscopy
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the CAS
Flemingovo nám. 2 | 166 10 Praha 6 | Czech Republic
Christoph Ruediger Bauer Christoph Ruediger Bauer

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Dear all,

We did this in both directions (using oil from Leica on a Zeiss scope and vice versa). If the refractive index of the oil corresponds there seems in our experience no reason not to do this. I think it is more critical to use oil for extended periods after opening as it could degrade through oxidation. For precaution we try to avoid using an opened bottle longer than six months .
Best regards,
Christoph

BIOIMAGING CENTER
University of Geneva - Science II
Room 245
30, Quai Ernest Ansermet
CH - 1211 Genève 4

Dr. Christoph R. Bauer
Managing Director
Tel.: + 41 22 3796632
Fax: + 41 22 3796868
email: [hidden email]
website: http://bioimaging.unige.ch/

I was told recently by a Leica engineer that he encountered many Leica objectives destroyed by Zeiss oil. I was not able to figure out from him if he was pooling my leg (which I think is the case) or was talking seriously.
Thanks.
Petro.
Avi Jacob Avi Jacob

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

My completely unsubstantiated guess is, that all the oil (Zeiss, Leica,
Olympus) is made by the same manufacturer. They all seem to have the same
details on them.
Avi
--
Avi Jacob, Ph.D.
Head of The Kanbar Light Microscopy Unit

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:20 AM Khoroshyy Petro <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Thanks,
> A  nice joke played with me :). I will pay it back once he comes again :)
>

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:09 AM Eva Wegel (JIC) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > *****
> > To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> > http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> > Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your
> posting.
> > *****
> >
> > Hi Petro
> >
> > We have been doing this for more than six years without any problems on
> > confocal and widefield systems.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Eva
> >
> > Dr. Eva Wegel
> > JIC Bioimaging
> > John Innes Centre
> > Norwich Research Park
> > Colney Lane
> > Norwich NR4 7UH

Erwan67 Erwan67

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Hello,

And AH AH AH!!!

If you read the Leica Immersion Fluid Safety Data Sheet..... the producer is ...... Carl Zeiss Jena Gmbh !!!!!

I can send you the safety data sheet if you want to show it to the leica engineer. :-)))))

Erwan Grandgirard
Igbmc- Illkirch graffenstaden
France

Imaging Center of the IGBMC
ICI-Microscopie Photonique

http://ici.igbmc.fr/
[hidden email]
03.69.48.51.17

1, rue Laurent Fries - BP 10142 –
F-67400 ILLKIRCH-GRAFFENSTADEN Cedex – France

Print in a spareness perspective. Think "sustainability".

--
______________________________
Petro Khoroshyy
Steffen Dietzel Steffen Dietzel

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Hi Petro,

if you check the Material safety data sheet of the Leica oil, you will
find that the producer is Zeiss. We are refilling the nice 10 ml Leica
bottles with plastic rods from a 500 ml Zeiss 518F for years now, no
problem at all.

I do not think that this is the same for other oils though. We had some
substantial chromatic aberrations in the deep red with Cargile HF. So
for a Leica Microscope I would buy either form Leica or from Zeiss. Then
you get what the objectives were calculated for.

Steffen

Am 10.02.2021 um 10:31 schrieb Avi Jacob:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> My completely unsubstantiated guess is, that all the oil (Zeiss, Leica,
> Olympus) is made by the same manufacturer. They all seem to have the same
> details on them.
> Avi
> --
> Avi Jacob, Ph.D.
> Head of The Kanbar Light Microscopy Unit
> The Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences
> Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan 5290002, Israel
>

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:20 AM Khoroshyy Petro <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> *****
>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
>> *****
>>
>> Thanks,
>> A nice joke played with me :). I will pay it back once he comes again :)
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:09 AM Eva Wegel (JIC) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> *****
>>> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>>> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your
>> posting.
>>> *****
>>>
>>> Hi Petro
>>>
>>> We have been doing this for more than six years without any problems on
>>> confocal and widefield systems.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Eva
>>>
>>> Dr. Eva Wegel
>>> JIC Bioimaging
>>> John Innes Centre
>>> Norwich Research Park
>>> Colney Lane
>>> Norwich NR4 7UH

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Biomedical Center (BMC)
Head of the Core Facility Bioimaging

Großhaderner Straße 9
D-82152 Planegg-Martinsried
Germany

http://www.bioimaging.bmc.med.uni-muenchen.de
Knecht, David Knecht, David

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

My microscope rep worked for Nikon and Zeiss with an independent company, is very trustworthy and he claimed the same thing.  I have never seen it either, but I suspect that he had really did have something happen.  He never told me any sales nonsense at any other time.  In his bad experience, the issue was mixing oils from two companies by not cleaning an objective before putting a different oil on it. I agree it seems unlikely there is a problem, but for safety, given the cost of objectives, I would just clean the objectives before switching oils, and you will not have a problem.  Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Professor, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
University of Connecticut
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
U-3125
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
antonio Virgilio Failla antonio Virgilio Failla

On 10.02.2021 09:20, Khoroshyy Petro wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Hi, list.
> I was told recently by a Leica engineer that he encountered many Leica
> objectives destroyed by Zeiss oil. I was not able to figure out from him if
> he was pooling my leg (which I think is the case) or was talking seriously.
> Thanks.
> Petro.

Hi Petro
is now 10 years that we are using Zeiss oil on Leica microscopes without
ojective damages and without the Leica service engineer
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_5-TSv-HuAhWzQkEAHRTECf4QFjAAegQIBhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEngineer&usg=AOvVaw3sD6JZYnJ2ks0fC8YV0Lzk>complaining
about it.
Best wishes
Virgilio

--
Dr. Antonio Virgilio Failla
Head of Light microscopy facility

Tel.:  (+49) 40-7410-51985
Mobil: (+49) (0)152-22815841
Fax.:  (+49) 40-7410-40189

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Joachim Prölß, Prof. Dr. Blanche Schwappach-Pignataro, Marya Verdel

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE PRINTING

Petro Petro

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Thanks to everyone for their comments.
While I think it is the same situation, but,  can anyone Any comments on
the use of Immersol W  with non-Zeiss objectives.
Best.
Petro.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:18 AM Antonio Virgilio Failla <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 10.02.2021 09:20, Khoroshyy Petro wrote:
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Hi, list.
> I was told recently by a Leica engineer that he encountered many Leica
> objectives destroyed by Zeiss oil. I was not able to figure out from him if
> he was pooling my leg (which I think is the case) or was talking seriously.
> Thanks.
> Petro.
>

> Hi Petro
> is now 10 years that we are using Zeiss oil on Leica microscopes without
> ojective damages and without the Leica service engineer
>
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_5-TSv-HuAhWzQkEAHRTECf4QFjAAegQIBhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEngineer&usg=AOvVaw3sD6JZYnJ2ks0fC8YV0Lzk>complaining
> about it.
> Best wishes
> Virgilio
>
> --
> Dr. Antonio Virgilio Failla
> Head of Light microscopy facility
> Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf
> UKE Microscopy Imaging Facility (UMIF)
> Campus Forschung (N27), EG, Room 00.108.2
> Martinistraße 52
> 20246 Hamburg
>
> Tel.:  (+49) 40-7410-51985
> Mobil: (+49) (0)152-22815841
> Fax.:  (+49) 40-7410-40189
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen
> Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
> Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Joachim
> Prölß, Prof. Dr. Blanche Schwappach-Pignataro, Marya Verdel
> ------------------------------
>
> SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE PRINTING

--
______________________________
Petro Khoroshyy
Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory of Advanced Optical Microscopy
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the CAS
Flemingovo nám. 2 | 166 10 Praha 6 | Czech Republic
Michael Abanto Michael Abanto

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

just before that topic is closed... as I understand it the issue would be crystallization formed by mixing different oils on the same microscope objective. However, any one oil used without contamination of another would be fine. There might be subtle optimization for the optic/abberations that are brand specific and might only be noticed at high res.

I have never done a test or seen the data for crystallization nor seen the optical differences published.

Is it worth someone publishing a comparison of modern oils on different objectives. It would be great if we could all just buy Cargille for cheap (which I have heard that many companies do and then rebottle) and added specific chemicals as/if needed.

ditto mounting media.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Abanto, PhD
Head of Microscopy Facility
Department of Biomedicine, Hebelstrasse 20
University Hospital Basel

tel 41 78 926 5316
http://biomedizin.unibas.ch/services/microscopy-facilities/facility-hebelstrasse/
http://microscopynetwork.unibas.ch
________________________________

wrote:

> On 10.02.2021 09:20, Khoroshyy Petro wrote:
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Hi, list.
> I was told recently by a Leica engineer that he encountered many Leica
> objectives destroyed by Zeiss oil. I was not able to figure out from him if
> he was pooling my leg (which I think is the case) or was talking seriously.
> Thanks.
> Petro.
>

> Hi Petro
> is now 10 years that we are using Zeiss oil on Leica microscopes without
> ojective damages and without the Leica service engineer
>
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_5-TSv-HuAhWzQkEAHRTECf4QFjAAegQIBhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEngineer&usg=AOvVaw3sD6JZYnJ2ks0fC8YV0Lzk>complaining
> about it.
> Best wishes
> Virgilio
>
> --
> Dr. Antonio Virgilio Failla
> Head of Light microscopy facility
> Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf
> UKE Microscopy Imaging Facility (UMIF)
> Campus Forschung (N27), EG, Room 00.108.2
> Martinistraße 52
> 20246 Hamburg
>
> Tel.:  (+49) 40-7410-51985
> Mobil: (+49) (0)152-22815841
> Fax.:  (+49) 40-7410-40189
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen
> Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
> Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Joachim
> Prölß, Prof. Dr. Blanche Schwappach-Pignataro, Marya Verdel
> ------------------------------
>
> SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE PRINTING

--
______________________________
Petro Khoroshyy
Zdenek Svindrych-2 Zdenek Svindrych-2

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Just few quick notes,

Even relatively modern oils may form crystals on long storage. Or some
components may be slightly volatile. Then, over years and years you may
find the refractive index is way off...

Many Cargille oils mix OK. Except for the low RI ones (fluorinated
hydrocarbons). Get an Abbe refractometer to measure the actual RI
(measuring dispersion tends to me less precise).

People are afraid of autofluorescence. Low AF is important in widefield,
critical in TIRF, but confocals don't really care.

My $0.02.
zdenek

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 8:43 AM Michael Abanto <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> just before that topic is closed... as I understand it the issue would be
> crystallization formed by mixing different oils on the same microscope
> objective. However, any one oil used without contamination of another would
> be fine. There might be subtle optimization for the optic/abberations that
> are brand specific and might only be noticed at high res.
>

> I have never done a test or seen the data for crystallization nor seen the
> optical differences published.
>

> Is it worth someone publishing a comparison of modern oils on different
> objectives. It would be great if we could all just buy Cargille for cheap
> (which I have heard that many companies do and then rebottle) and added
> specific chemicals as/if needed.
>

> ditto mounting media.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Mike
>

> Michael Abanto, PhD
> Head of Microscopy Facility
> Department of Biomedicine, Hebelstrasse 20
> University Hospital Basel
>
> tel 41 78 926 5316
>
> http://biomedizin.unibas.ch/services/microscopy-facilities/facility-hebelstrasse/
> http://microscopynetwork.unibas.ch
> ________________________________

Zdenek Svindrych, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Microscopy Imaging Specialist
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Steffen Dietzel Steffen Dietzel

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

Dear Mike,

I also would like to see such a  publication about it. What we have done
is to post some data on chromatic aberration on our web site, see here:
https://www.bioimaging.bmc.med.uni-muenchen.de/news/chrom-ab-100x/index.html

On our Leica SP8 STED, we checked chromatic aberration in reflection
mode, relative to 470 nm with the 100x1.4 STED white objective, which
was manufactured for particularly low chromatic aberration. With the
Zeiss 518F we get up to about 50 nm, with Cargille HF up to 100 nm and
more than that with the 775 nm depletion line. STED with 775 is
essentially not working with that oil, because the depletion donut is
too far off in z.

If you know that 'normal' NA 1.4 objectives may have an aberration of
 >200 nm anyway, if you are serious about it, you will have to correct
by post processing. and then it may not really matter which oil you use,
because they will differ just by the amount that you have to correct for.

If I get it right, the difference in behavior is described by the
dispersion value, which is given as ve= something.

We, hover, decided to stick to the 518F. Per slide, the additional costs
are negligible and we may save our users some trouble. And us the
trouble of users mixing different oils.

Best

Steffen

Am 15.02.2021 um 14:43 schrieb Michael Abanto:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> just before that topic is closed... as I understand it the issue would be crystallization formed by mixing different oils on the same microscope objective. However, any one oil used without contamination of another would be fine. There might be subtle optimization for the optic/abberations that are brand specific and might only be noticed at high res.
>

> I have never done a test or seen the data for crystallization nor seen the optical differences published.
>

> Is it worth someone publishing a comparison of modern oils on different objectives. It would be great if we could all just buy Cargille for cheap (which I have heard that many companies do and then rebottle) and added specific chemicals as/if needed.
>

> ditto mounting media.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Mike
>

> Michael Abanto, PhD
> Head of Microscopy Facility
> Department of Biomedicine, Hebelstrasse 20
> University Hospital Basel
>
> tel 41 78 926 5316
> http://biomedizin.unibas.ch/services/microscopy-facilities/facility-hebelstrasse/
> http://microscopynetwork.unibas.ch
> ________________________________

Cammer, Michael-2 Cammer, Michael-2

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

For most of our systems we use Cargill Labs type LDF.

Unlike other brands, it does not dry into a sticky coating and provides consistency across the microscopes.  We can jump from scope to scope.  Our users don’t mix oils.  None of our users have noticed any reduction in performance and when we've checked, we were hard pressed to measure differences ourselves.

We have enough of a problem with people using Immersol W when they should be using 1.518 oil and vice versa.

An exception is the Elyra where we use Zeiss oil.  Another exception is Airyscan.  And, of course, the silicon lenses, but we only have one scope with a subset of users.

You can try different oils; just clean completely between them.  You might find real performance improvements.  And if I'm wrong about the type  LDF, please let me know!

Cheers-

Michael Cammer, Sr Research Scientist, DART Microscopy Laboratory
NYU Langone Health, 540 First Avenue, SK2 Microscopy Suite, New York, NY  10016
Office: 646-501-0567 Cell: 914-309-3270  [hidden email]
http://nyulmc.org/micros  http://microscopynotes.com/

I also would like to see such a  publication about it. What we have done is to post some data on chromatic aberration on our web site, see here:
https://www.bioimaging.bmc.med.uni-muenchen.de/news/chrom-ab-100x/index.html

On our Leica SP8 STED, we checked chromatic aberration in reflection mode, relative to 470 nm with the 100x1.4 STED white objective, which was manufactured for particularly low chromatic aberration. With the Zeiss 518F we get up to about 50 nm, with Cargille HF up to 100 nm and more than that with the 775 nm depletion line. STED with 775 is essentially not working with that oil, because the depletion donut is too far off in z.

If you know that 'normal' NA 1.4 objectives may have an aberration of
 >200 nm anyway, if you are serious about it, you will have to correct by post processing. and then it may not really matter which oil you use, because they will differ just by the amount that you have to correct for.

If I get it right, the difference in behavior is described by the dispersion value, which is given as ve= something.

We, hover, decided to stick to the 518F. Per slide, the additional costs are negligible and we may save our users some trouble. And us the trouble of users mixing different oils.

Best

Steffen

Am 15.02.2021 um 14:43 schrieb Michael Abanto:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> just before that topic is closed... as I understand it the issue would be crystallization formed by mixing different oils on the same microscope objective. However, any one oil used without contamination of another would be fine. There might be subtle optimization for the optic/abberations that are brand specific and might only be noticed at high res.
>

> I have never done a test or seen the data for crystallization nor seen the optical differences published.
>

> Is it worth someone publishing a comparison of modern oils on different objectives. It would be great if we could all just buy Cargille for cheap (which I have heard that many companies do and then rebottle) and added specific chemicals as/if needed.
>

> ditto mounting media.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Mike
>

> Michael Abanto, PhD
> Head of Microscopy Facility
> Department of Biomedicine, Hebelstrasse 20 University Hospital Basel
>
> tel 41 78 926 5316
> http://biomedizin.unibas.ch/services/microscopy-facilities/facility-he
> belstrasse/
> http://microscopynetwork.unibas.ch
> ________________________________

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
=================================

Davide Accardi-2 Davide Accardi-2

Re: Zeiss oil on Leica microscope

A part the spherical aberration and the consequent losses in contrast and resolution, different oil have also different dispersion properties.
I had quite an unexpected surprise in the past when measuring chromatic shift on a DELTA VISION system first with Olympus and then with ZEISS oil.

This aspect should not be underestimated.

D.
--
Davide Accardi, PhD.
Champalimaud ABBE Platform

Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
Av. Brasilia, Doca de Pedroucos
1400-038 Lisbon, Portugal
T (+351) 210 480 139

www.fchampalimaud.org
[hidden email]

> On 15 Feb 2021, at 17:05, Cammer, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> For most of our systems we use Cargill Labs type LDF.
>
> Unlike other brands, it does not dry into a sticky coating and provides consistency across the microscopes.  We can jump from scope to scope.  Our users don’t mix oils.  None of our users have noticed any reduction in performance and when we've checked, we were hard pressed to measure differences ourselves.
>
> We have enough of a problem with people using Immersol W when they should be using 1.518 oil and vice versa.
>
> An exception is the Elyra where we use Zeiss oil.  Another exception is Airyscan.  And, of course, the silicon lenses, but we only have one scope with a subset of users.
>
> You can try different oils; just clean completely between them.  You might find real performance improvements.  And if I'm wrong about the type  LDF, please let me know!
>
> Cheers-
>
> Michael Cammer, Sr Research Scientist, DART Microscopy Laboratory
> NYU Langone Health, 540 First Avenue, SK2 Microscopy Suite, New York, NY  10016
> Office: 646-501-0567 Cell: 914-309-3270  [hidden email]
> http://nyulmc.org/micros  http://microscopynotes.com/

>>> Mobil: (+49) (0)152-22815841