coverslips for cell culture

Fredrik Wermeling Fredrik Wermeling

coverslips for cell culture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Hi!

I’m planning to grow adherent cells for later staining with fluorescently labelled antibodies. Previously I’ve done this by adding a sterile round coverslip in a 12 well plate and kept the cells on the coverslip through out the staining and fixation and then just "mounted" them on a microscope slide. My questions are:

- Do you have any suggestions for which coverslips to purchase, I guess they have to be thin enough and without auto fluorescence.

- Is there any alternative? I saw that Nunc sells a Lab tek product that sounds like what I´m looking for.

Thanks a lot

/ Fredrik

Sandrine Pouvreau Sandrine Pouvreau

Re: coverslips for cell culture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi.
I'm doing this kind of things with Hek cells or myotubes on cell culture round dishes with glass coverslip bottom of several kind. The coverslip has to be 0.17mm thin, but I never had any autofluorescence problem. I'm for instance using (from Fisher Scientist) Delta TPG dish, 0.17mm. They have a thick ring of plastic surrounding the glass coverslip, so it is hard to focus on the cells that are on the edge, but I just cut it with scissor and it works pretty well.
I wish you good luck
Sandrine

Fredrik Wermeling <[hidden email]>
Sent by: Confocal Microscopy List <[hidden email]>

10/25/2007 03:13 PM

Please respond to
Confocal Microscopy List <[hidden email]>

[hidden email]
cc
Subject
coverslips for cell culture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi!

I’m planning to grow adherent cells for later staining with fluorescently labelled antibodies. Previously I’ve done this by adding a sterile round coverslip in a 12 well plate and kept the cells on the coverslip through out the staining and fixation and then just "mounted" them on a microscope slide. My questions are:
- Do you have any suggestions for which coverslips to purchase, I guess they have to be thin enough and without auto fluorescence.
- Is there any alternative? I saw that Nunc sells a Lab tek product that sounds like what I´m looking for.

Thanks a lot
/ Fredrik

Kurt Thorn Kurt Thorn

Re: coverslips for cell culture

You want to use coverslips that are 0.17 mm thick - number 1.5
coverslips are the closest in thickness.

You can also use coverslip bottom plates or coverlsip bottom dishes -
these are very convenient if you want to image the cells live but may be
more of a pain for fixing and staining.  Glass-bottom-dishes.com sell a
number of different varieties.

Kurt

--
Kurt Thorn, PhD
Director, Nikon Imaging Center

UCSF MC 2140
Genentech Hall Room S252
600 16th St.
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

http://nic.ucsf.edu
phone 415.514.9709
fax   415.514.4300
Stephen Cody Stephen Cody

Re: coverslips for cell culture

>You want to use coverslips that are 0.17 mm thick - number 1.5
>coverslips are the closest in thickness.

The trouble with No. 1.5 is that there is great variation in thickness.
The industry standard for No. 1.50 is:
#1.5 = 0.160  -  0.190

Please review the achieves under Subject: "Coverslip - Good News'

This is quite a large range, and 0.190 mm thick coverslips will cause detrimental spherical aberration.

Both Menzel and Assistent (Hecht Glaswarenfabrik [Thanks Beat]) sell a better standard thickness for confocal microscopy it is called:
"170 +/- 0.01mm"

Many of the distributors may not know about this sorting of coverslip, but it does exist. You may need to convince them to ask their suppliers about it.

If you still have trouble you can order them from Lomb in Australia, they will deliver.

I order "0.170 +/- 0.01mm" coverslips for confocal through
Lomb Scientific www.lomb.com.au . This is an Australian distributor
of Menzel Glass. Lomb will also cut coverslips to special custom sizes
(larger bulk orders are more economical).

You can contact Peter directly on [hidden email]  for product
information, order codes etc..

Or as Peter suggests he is not always available [hidden email]  may
work better sometimes.

I have no commercial affiliation with any of the companies listed. I can prove it, have a look at the car I drive! :)

Cheers
Stephen H. Cody
Microscopy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville, Victoria,      3050
Australia
Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
email: [hidden email]
www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
http://www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm Type your signature here

________________________________

--
Kurt Thorn, PhD
Director, Nikon Imaging Center
University of California San Francisco

UCSF MC 2140
Genentech Hall Room S252
600 16th St.
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

http://nic.ucsf.edu <http://nic.ucsf.edu/>
phone 415.514.9709
fax   415.514.4300
Donnelly, Tom Donnelly, Tom

Re: coverslips for cell culture

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
The  Titertek II  ( Nunc) 4 and 8 well dishes have # 1.5 coverslip bottoms and they work well.

I would suggest looking at www.willcowells.com  they make very high quality coverslip bottom 35mm dishes with both 12mm and 22mm 170um coverslips. They also make a "kit" which would allow you to grow cells on the coverslip then insert it into the machined 35mm dish.

No commercial interest in either.

Tom

Kurt Thorn Kurt Thorn

Re: coverslips for cell culture

Does anyone know of a US source for these?  When I this came up earlier
on the list I did some searching for a US distributor but came up empty
handed.  I agree that if you can get these it would be a big improvement
on using #1.5 coverslips.

Kurt

fax   415.514.4300
Stephen Cody Stephen Cody

--
Kurt Thorn, PhD
Director, Nikon Imaging Center
University of California San Francisco

UCSF MC 2140
Genentech Hall Room S252
600 16th St.
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

http://nic.ucsf.edu <http://nic.ucsf.edu/>
phone 415.514.9709
fax   415.514.4300
Glen MacDonald-2 Glen MacDonald-2

Re: coverslips for cell culture

Erie Glass, which sells under their own label as well as sells to other companies, actually owns Menzel.
The glass sold by both is now made by Erie Electroverre in Romont, Switzerland.   Erie has other plants
around the world and is now part of Thermo-Fisher.

How long before there are only 2 corporations left in the world?

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923
(206) 616-4156

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Stephen Cody wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear Kurt,
>
> I suspect Menzel and Assistent  (Hecht) are the only manufacturers of coverslip glass. I suspect other
companies buy the glass, perhaps cut it, and rebrand it.  This is certainly what Lomb in Australia do,
they are quite open about it. If there are other manufacturers of coverslip glass I'd be happy to be
corrected. So if you buy from a particular company or supplier, I suspect is is probably Menzel or
Assistent glass anyway, and you need to put a little pressure on your supplier to contact their
manufacturer and order the correct thickness.

> Cheers
> Stephen H. Cody
> Microscopy Manager
> Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
> Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
> PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
> Parkville, Victoria,      3050
> Australia
> Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
> email: [hidden email]
> www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
> www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal
>
> Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
> http://www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm Type your signature here
>
> ________________________________

Sarah Aubut Sarah Aubut

Re: coverslips for cell culture

I have used the Nunc chambered coverglass, and they have worked
excellent for me with viewing living cells and labeling them while doing
time lapse. These are like the chamber slide, except the bottom is the
coverglass and the chambers cannot be removed, which makes them perfect
for viewing live cells. Make sure you get the LabTek II, not the Labtek
I, as the II's have the 1.5 thickness. I order mine directly from
Nalgene-Nunc without a problem. The only issue I had was they are
shorter then a normal slide, so did not fit into my stage, but as I use
them all the time, I invested in a Prior stage that is designed for
them. I'm sure you can easily rig your normal stage if they don't fit.

Sarah Aubut
Lab Technician, Microscopy Suite
Canadian Forestry Service
Sault Ste Marie, ON
Canada

[hidden email]

Erie Glass, which sells under their own label as well as sells to other
companies, actually owns Menzel.
The glass sold by both is now made by Erie Electroverre in Romont,
Switzerland.   Erie has other plants
around the world and is now part of Thermo-Fisher.

How long before there are only 2 corporations left in the world?

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center Box 357923 University
of Washington Seattle, WA 98195-7923
(206) 616-4156

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Stephen Cody wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear Kurt,
>
> I suspect Menzel and Assistent  (Hecht) are the only manufacturers of
> coverslip glass. I suspect other
companies buy the glass, perhaps cut it, and rebrand it.  This is
certainly what Lomb in Australia do, they are quite open about it. If
there are other manufacturers of coverslip glass I'd be happy to be
corrected. So if you buy from a particular company or supplier, I
suspect is is probably Menzel or Assistent glass anyway, and you need to
put a little pressure on your supplier to contact their manufacturer and
order the correct thickness.

> Cheers
> Stephen H. Cody
> Microscopy Manager
> Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy Ludwig Institute for Cancer
> Research PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
> Parkville, Victoria,      3050
> Australia
> Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
> email: [hidden email]
> www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
> www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal
>
> Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
> http://www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm Type your
> signature here
>
> ________________________________

rjpalmer rjpalmer

Re: coverslips for cell culture

Couldn't resist an off-list post on this one. Before retirement (ca
15 years), I expect to see all of US commerce to be roughly equally
divided between Invitrogen and Halliburton. :) :)  The rest of the
world should be sorted out within another 15 - that is, if anything
remains to be sorted....(not talking about commerce there...)

Have you seen the film "Idiocracy"?

--
Robert J. Palmer Jr., Ph.D.
Natl Inst Dental Craniofacial Res - Natl Insts Health
fax 301-402-0396
rjpalmer rjpalmer

Re: coverslips for cell culture

So much for off-list  :) :)  Please don't turn me in to my employer (GW)...

fax 301-402-0396
Glen MacDonald-2 Glen MacDonald-2

Re: coverslips for cell culture

the Nunc II chambers are useful, but the thickness still varies.  I
bought a blank insert for the our Prior stage and had it machined to
take 60 mm coverslips in x dimension and Nunc chambers in the y
direction.  A small trim of the corners at the intersection of the 2
rectangular openings allows a 35 mm glass bottom dish to be used, as
well.  a 1.5 cm semi-circle enlargement at the ends of the
rectangular openings allow access to the lens to apply immersion media.

Glen

On Oct 26, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Aubut, Sarah wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I have used the Nunc chambered coverglass, and they have worked
> excellent for me with viewing living cells and labeling them while
> doing
> time lapse. These are like the chamber slide, except the bottom is the
> coverglass and the chambers cannot be removed, which makes them
> perfect
> for viewing live cells. Make sure you get the LabTek II, not the
> Labtek
> I, as the II's have the 1.5 thickness. I order mine directly from
> Nalgene-Nunc without a problem. The only issue I had was they are
> shorter then a normal slide, so did not fit into my stage, but as I
> use
> them all the time, I invested in a Prior stage that is designed for
> them. I'm sure you can easily rig your normal stage if they don't fit.
>
> Sarah Aubut
> Lab Technician, Microscopy Suite
> Canadian Forestry Service
> Sault Ste Marie, ON
> Canada
>
> [hidden email]

Claire Brown Claire Brown

Re: coverslips for cell culture

We use 35 mm glass bottom dishes from World Precision Instruments. They say
on their web page they are 0.17 mm +- 0.01 mm. They are also much cheaper
than other suppliers if you buy them in boxes of 100.

No commercial interest.

Claire
Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

fyi (no commercial interest):

http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewAllE/162CCB55A50A433FC12573A8002B17D9

The press release contains quite some side-kicks to Leica. And the
technique sounds kind of STORM-like. Does somebody has further information?

cheers,
Michael
Martin Wessendorf Martin Wessendorf

Re: super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

Michael Weber wrote:

> http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewAllE/162CCB55A50A433FC12573A8002B17D9

> The press release contains quite some side-kicks to Leica. And the
> technique sounds kind of STORM-like. Does somebody has further information?

I think you're right.  Looks as if they've teamed up with the group
headed by Eric Betzig.  He had the paper in Science last year:

"Imaging Intracellular Fluorescent Proteins at Nanometer Resolution"
Eric Betzig, George H. Patterson, Rachid Sougrat, O. Wolf Lindwasser,
Scott Olenych, Juan S. Bonifacino, Michael W. Davidson, Jennifer
Lippincott-Schwartz, and Harald F. Hess
Science 15 September 2006 313: 1642-1645

If that's it, it seems like a powerful technique, lower-cost than the
Leica system, but unfortunately also very slow.  Also, it appears only
applicable to photoactivatable fluorescent proteins (or dyes) that will
change their spectrum to a longer wavelength when excited with a shorter
wavelength.  It has the advantage of using much less intense
illumination than the Leica system but I don't know of anyone using it
for live-cell work.

Martin
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
John Oreopoulos John Oreopoulos

Re: super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal STORM and PALM are similar. Here is the original publication on the PALM technique:

Betzig, E., G. H. Patterson, R. Sougrat, O. W. Lindwasser, S. Olenych, J. S. Bonifacino, M. W. Davidson, J. Lippincott-Schwartz, and H. F. Hess. 2006. Imaging intracellular fluorescent proteins at nanometer resolution. Science 313:1642-1645.

John Oreopoulos, BSc,
PhD Candidate
University of Toronto
Institute For Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
Centre For Studies in Molecular Imaging

Tel: W:416-946-5022

Allan Kachelmeier Allan Kachelmeier

Re: super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
It looks like the speed of the Palm/Storm/Palmira technique is being tackled. See Egner et al., Biophysical Journal 93:3285 (2007).

Allan Kachelmeier
Manager, confocal microscopy core
Oregon Hearing Research Center
OHSU

Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank"> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewAllE/162CCB55A50A433FC12573A8002B17D9" target="_blank">http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewAllE/162CCB55A50A433FC12573A8002B17D9

The press release contains quite some side-kicks to Leica. And the technique sounds kind of STORM-like. Does somebody has further information?

cheers,
Michael

Chris Wood-5 Chris Wood-5

Re: super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

No surprise at all that Zeiss picked up this technique, no way they would
let Leica hog the field for long. But I can't see how they can get much
out of this, as it's basically an imaging protocol, rather than an
instrumentation advance. OK, you can package up the acquisition parameters
and post-processing steps in a module/macro, but there's nothing to stop
anyone executing this technique on any microscope with the minumum of
effort. And it seems to me that STED will be suitable for live cells
sooner than the PALM-STORM techniques.

This doesn't look much more than a spoiler tactic to me on the part of
Zeiss.

Saludos

Chris

>I think you're right.  Looks as if they've teamed up with the group
>headed by Eric Betzig.  He had the paper in Science last year:
>
>"Imaging Intracellular Fluorescent Proteins at Nanometer Resolution"
>Eric Betzig, George H. Patterson, Rachid Sougrat, O. Wolf Lindwasser,
>Scott Olenych, Juan S. Bonifacino, Michael W. Davidson, Jennifer
>Lippincott-Schwartz, and Harald F. Hess
>Science 15 September 2006 313: 1642-1645
>
>If that's it, it seems like a powerful technique, lower-cost than the
>Leica system, but unfortunately also very slow.  Also, it appears only
>applicable to photoactivatable fluorescent proteins (or dyes) that will
>change their spectrum to a longer wavelength when excited with a shorter
>wavelength.  It has the advantage of using much less intense
>illumination than the Leica system but I don't know of anyone using it
>for live-cell work.
>
>Martin
>--
>Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
>Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
>University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
>6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
>Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
Csucs Gabor Csucs Gabor

Re: super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

It will be also interesting to see the "patent fight". A few month ago
I've listened to a talk by Stefan Hell, where he nicely presented that
actually the basis for STED (as for STORM/PALM) is the fact that dye
molecules have two switchable states - bright/dark. But this doesn't
need to be bright and dark - any system which has two distinct,
switchable states (color change or something else...) could be used to
reach high resolution. So, basically although the realization behind
STED and PALM/STROM is completely different, but the basic condition is
the same....

Cheers   Gabor
Martin Wessendorf Martin Wessendorf

Re: super resolution - Zeiss enters the boat

Hey, Chris--

Chris Wood wrote:

> And it seems to me that STED will be suitable for live cells
> sooner than the PALM-STORM techniques.

Interesting question.  Someone pointed out to me off-list that with
STED, the fluorophore gets taken up to the excited state many more times
(--presumably 25x for a 5x increase in resolution) than with
conventional multiphoton microscopy for each photon of actual
fluorescence.  However, for each time it's in the excited state, it has
the same probability of bad photochemistry occuring--e.g., transition to
the triplet state and/or phototoxicity.  In this example, you'd expect
25x more phototoxicity with STED than with multiphoton in order to
obtain the same image.  Thus there may be inherent limitations with STED
with regards to live-cell imaging.

That being said, it'd appear that the weakness is relative: if you can
create a fluorophore that has a lower probability of engaging in bad
photochemistry, live-cell might be doable.  So it strikes me that (in
agreement with what other people have already pointed out) we'll
probably need new, better fluorophores to do live-cell imaging with STED.

Martin Wessendorf
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
12