deltavision experience

"José A. Feijó" "José A. Feijó"

deltavision experience

my unit is considering acquiring a new imaging system, and deltavision
is a possible option. I was wondering if users of the system would mind
sharing their experience with us in terms of logistics, price
comparison, rtypes of applications in which the system really makes a
difference, alternative deconvolution comercial systems and/or other
options for custom made stuff, side-by-side comparison s with CLSM and
MPLSM, nipkow's etc, etc. Can't recall if the list discuss this issue
recently, but please feel free to use my personal e.mail address if
appropriate.

thanks for the support
Jose

Jose' A. Feijo', Prof.
Dep. Biologia Vegetal, Fac.Ciencias, Universidade Lisboa
PT-1749-016 Lisboa, PORTUGAL

tel. +351.21.750.00.47/00/24, fax  +351.21.750.00.48

and/ e

Inst.Gulbenkian Ciencia, PT-2780-156 Oeiras, PORTUGAL

tel. +351.21.440.79.41/00/19, fax +351.21.440.79.70
e.mail: [hidden email]

Re: deltavision experience

Hi Jose,

We have two DeltaVision systems in our core facility and all of our
users love them.  We also get people coming in from all across New York
to use them.  What always amazes me is how good the raw data looks in
comparison to my other widefield microscopes - i.e. this is more than
simply a deconvolution system.  The software is extremely convenient to
use and the users like the fact that all of the acquisition parameters
are stored in the log files so that when it comes e.g. to doing
deconvolution they don't have to worry about typing in wavelength, NA,
refractive index etc. - the information is all in there so you just
click on "Do it"!  One of our systems also has the lasers for FRAP and
photoactivation and we have loved the results using that - it's very
quick to switch between the bleaching and the acquisition.  Next week
I'm getting my upgrade to the DV "Core" system and adding their
multiplexed wavelengths for rapid switching between two colours - I am
very excited, watch this space.....
As far as applications, the DV is our best system (in comparison to our
spinning disk, confocals and multiphoton) for high resolution imaging of
tiny objects (or at least thin ones) - yeast cells, bacteria,
trypanosomes, and cell monolayers.  I posted an e-mail a few years ago
on the confocal listserver saying that for live cell imaging we
preferred our spinning disk system, due to less photobleaching.  This
bugged the heck out of the DV guys and they have certainly improved the
system for live imaging now!  I have not yet had a chance to do a recent
direct comparison - since I am having both my DV and my spinning disk
upgraded in the next couple of weeks I think now will be the time to do
that.  But in general it's specimen-dependent of course.  For samples
thicker than around 15-20 microns, you tend to do better with the
confocal instruments (as shown very elegantly by Jason Swedlow and others).
I believe a complaint of the DeltaVisions used to be that they were
expensive.  I don't think this is at all the case now, by the time you
buy a good stage, camera, software etc.- particularly if you look at
their new "personal" DV, which comes in at a phenomenal price and is
(fully? - I think so) upgradable.

If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to contact me
off line.  By the way, I have no commercial interest - I'm just a
longstanding happy customer!  In fact, my only problem with the guys at
API is that they seem to employ so many Red Sox fans.....  (uh-oh - now
I'm going to be bombarded by e-mails, ONLY JOKING EVERYBODY!).

Good luck with your decision,
Best,
Alison

--
Alison J. North, Ph.D.
Director of the Bio-Imaging Resource Center