glass surface charge

Kevin Braeckmans Kevin Braeckmans

glass surface charge

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Dear all,

Can someone tell me what is the surface charge of a typical microscope cover glass?

And a related question: can someone explain why negative nanospheres (carboxylated polystyrene), negative pDNA molecules, as well as positive liposomes or lipoplexes all strongly adhere to the cover glass?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Braeckmans, Ph.D.

Lab. General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy

Ghent University

Harelbekestraat 72

9000 Ghent

Belgium

Tel: +32 (0)9 264.80.78

Fax: +32 (0)9 264.81.89

Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: glass surface charge

That's going to depend on a number of factors, such as how dry the
room is, air currents over the glass, etc.  Basically any flow over
the slip, either liquid or air, will build up a charge, as well as any
charge that may be imparted during handling of the slip.  (gloves
rubbing the surface, discharge into fingers, etc.)

Craig

On 10/4/07, Kevin Braeckmans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>

> Dear all,
>

> Can someone tell me what is the surface charge of a typical microscope cover
> glass?
>

> And a related question: can someone explain why negative nanospheres
> (carboxylated polystyrene), negative pDNA molecules, as well as positive
> liposomes or lipoplexes all strongly adhere to the cover glass?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Kevin
>

> Kevin Braeckmans, Ph.D.
>
> Lab. General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy
>
> Ghent University
>
> Harelbekestraat 72
>
> 9000 Ghent
>
> Belgium
>
> Tel: +32 (0)9 264.80.78
>
> Fax: +32 (0)9 264.81.89
Raghu Parthasarathy Raghu Parthasarathy

Re: glass surface charge

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Kevin Braeckmans <[hidden email]> wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear all,

Can someone tell me what is the surface charge of a typical microscope cover glass?

And a related question: can someone explain why negative nanospheres (carboxylated polystyrene), negative pDNA molecules, as well as positive liposomes or lipoplexes all strongly adhere to the cover glass?

Thanks,

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

   The surface charge of glass depends on the pH and ionic strength of the solution with which it's in contact.  A detailed and illuminating description can be found in
    The charge on glass and silica surfaces, S. H. Behrens and D. G. Grier, Journal of Chemical Physics 115, 6716-6721 (2001),
available at:
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JCPSA6000115000014006716000001
and (free) at
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0105149

   For example, at pH 7 and 1 uM ionic strength, the effective charge density of silica is about 1000 charges / um^2, while at 10 uM it's about 4000.

   As for your second question:  I assume you're observing this adhesion in some sort of buffer or salt solution, rather than plain water.  There are two important reasons negative objects will adhere to negative glass.  (i) Interactions between objects in solution are determined by two forces: van der Waals interactions, which are "always" attractive but typically short range, and electrostatic interactions, which can be attractive or repulsive.  In an electolyte, electric fields are screened.  In 100 mM NaCl, for example, fields decay within a few nanometers.  Therefore negative objects can come quite close to the negative glass, a few nm, without being repelled; at this point the attractive van der Waals forces make them stick.  (ii) If you have multivalent cations in your electrolyte, e.g. Calcium, this can "bridge" single negative charges, binding negatively charged objects to one another .  Imagine [-1] -- [+2] -- [-1].

   This is a quick and incomplete discussion (especially item (i) above, which ignores the repulsive forces due to the "gas" of counterions between objects).  If you'd like more, I recommend Israelachvili's excellent book, "Intermolecular and Surface Forces."

best wishes,

Raghu

--
Raghuveer Parthasarathy