indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

Aryeh Weiss Aryeh Weiss

indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

Does anyone has suggestions for indicators of membrane damage (possibly
short lived)  in live cells.

We are trying propidium iodide, which is not supposed to enter intact
live cells, but may enter a damaged transiently damaged membrane and
then light up in the nucleus.

The nice thing about  PI is that it is not fluorescent until it
associates with DNA or RNA.

Are there other methods that people on the list can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
--aryeh

--
Aryeh Weiss
Faculty of Engineering

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051
F Javier Diez Guerra F Javier Diez Guerra

Re: indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

Dear Aryeh,

I am not sure if this could help.

Not exactly an indicator on plasma membrane damage, but of stress and
loss of homeostasis is that phosphatidylserine is externalized to the
outer leaflet of the plasma membrane. This can be easily visualized with
Annexin V conjugated to a fluorophore (there are many commercial sources
of this reagent). This happens before PI can get into the cells and
label DNA.

Best

Javier

El 21/05/2021 a las 14:28, Aryeh Weiss escribió:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Does anyone has suggestions for indicators of membrane damage
> (possibly short lived)  in live cells.
>
> We are trying propidium iodide, which is not supposed to enter intact
> live cells, but may enter a damaged transiently damaged membrane and
> then light up in the nucleus.
>
> The nice thing about  PI is that it is not fluorescent until it
> associates with DNA or RNA.
>
> Are there other methods that people on the list can suggest?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards
> --aryeh

Lemasters, John J. Lemasters, John J.

Re: indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

Hi Aryeh,

Load cells with calcein using calcein-AM. Calcein leaks out with membrane damage. This is the basis for commercial live-dead assays (probably ThermoFisher)  using calcien in combination with propidium iodide.

Best, John

--
John J. Lemasters, MD, PhD
Professor and GlaxoSmithKline Distinguished Endowed Chair

Office: 843-876-2360
Lab: 843-876-2354
Fax: 843-876-2353
Email: [hidden email]
https://education.musc.edu/MUSCApps/FacultyDirectory/Lemasters-John

FAX: 972-3-7384051
Christian Kukat Christian Kukat

Re: indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

Dear Aryeh,

In flow cytometry, many dyes such as PI are used as viablity dyes.
Examples are, next to PI, DAPI, 7-AAD, SYTOX, DRAQ7, etc.

There are also fixable viability dyes from many manufacturers.

And as mentioned by John, dyes such as Calcein-AM can be used as vital dyes, to determine which cells are still metabolically active.

One example for a publication mentioning this is:
Guidelines for the use of flow cytometry and cell sorting in immunological studies (second edition)
by Cossarizza et al., 2019 in Eur. J. Immunol.

Chapter 3.4 Dead cell exclusion, cell viability, and sample freezing
https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.201970107 <https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.201970107>

Best wishes,

Christian

Christian Kukat, PhD
Head of FACS & Imaging Core Facility
Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing

Joseph-Stelzmann-Str. 9b, D-50931 Köln / Cologne, Germany

E-mail: [hidden email]
www.age.mpg.de

> On 21. May 2021, at 14:28, Aryeh Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Does anyone has suggestions for indicators of membrane damage (possibly short lived)  in live cells.
>
> We are trying propidium iodide, which is not supposed to enter intact live cells, but may enter a damaged transiently damaged membrane and then light up in the nucleus.
>
> The nice thing about  PI is that it is not fluorescent until it associates with DNA or RNA.
>
> Are there other methods that people on the list can suggest?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards
> --aryeh
>
> --
> Aryeh Weiss
> Faculty of Engineering
> Bar Ilan University
> Ramat Gan 52900 Israel
>
> Ph:  972-3-5317638
> FAX: 972-3-7384051
Jyoti Jaiswal Jyoti Jaiswal

Re: indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

FM dyes also work as PI and other DNA binding dyes, but leaves nucleic acid untouched. Their fluorescence increases upon entering cells and binding intracellular membranes and the labeling intensity is proportional to extent of damage. Here is our description of its use - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4089398/.

Jyoti
Aryeh Weiss Aryeh Weiss

Re: indicator for membrane damage in live cells.

I want to thank the many list members who replied both on  and off list.
We received many suggestions, including using calcium indicators, a
variety of suggestions for anionic dyes that do not enter intact cells,
many DNA indicators in case we do not like PI, references on the use of
PI for this purpose, and references from people who have done similar
studies.
So we have a lot to chew on , and I can say that  just about anything I
might do with a scope has been done by someone (or many someones) on
this list.

Best regards
--aryeh

--