inexpensive confocal system

Knecht, David Knecht, David

inexpensive confocal system

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal I want to put together the most cost effective confocal-like system to do single plane time lapse imaging with relatively light sensitive cells (Dictyostelium).  I have a very limited budget, and this is for teaching, not research so maximum resolution is not an issue.  Here is the list of approaches that seem possible.  Any comments appreciated:

Grid confocal: how many sections does it take and how long does it take to acquire?  Can you do live cells that are moving?
Deconvolution: If you only want one focal plane, what can you get away with in terms of minimum focal planes of capture to help with deblurring
Olympus DSU: ?
Any others I should be looking into?

Dr. David Knecht
Co-head Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

Tim Fletcher-4 Tim Fletcher-4

Re: inexpensive confocal system - COMMERCIAL RESPONSE

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi David,

we resell the CARV II widefield confocal from BD (but not in your area) - Its easy to use, fast (50FPS is achievable), not as cheap as a grid confocal, but certainly worth seeing if your budget can stretch to it.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have difficulty getting information or wish to see some example images etc.

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Fletcher
Sales Manager