long shift dyes

Tim Feinstein Tim Feinstein

long shift dyes

Hi all,

I've noticed that long stokes shift dyes are mostly gone from the market in the US: ThermoFisher discontinued the DyLight LS series, Sigma is about to sell the last of its Atto-LS dyes, and Abberior STAR SXP dyes are (as far as I can tell) only sold in the EU.  Is this a pandemic-related supply problem, or have long shift dies fallen out of use?  Tests I ran some years ago seemed promising.  Thanks for any input.

All the best,

Timothy Feinstein, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Pittsburgh Department of Developmental Biology
George McNamara George McNamara

Re: long shift dyes

Hi T, plenty of options:

many RED emission dyes have S2 excitation in UV (longpass "DAPI" cube),
Texas Red, Alexa Fluor 594, many more (I don't recall how well the
'Reds' excite at 395 nm LED or 405 nm laser line).

BD Biosciences/Sirigen Brilliants (BUVs BVs, BBs; all available from BD,
BV’s also available from BioLegend, Jackson Immunoresearch has
BV-streptavidin).

Phitonex (dye or dyes in DNA origami, ~20plex now, many are FRET pairs,
see their web site for appnotes, new and  pre-recorded webinars).

ThermoFisher SuperBrights (though stopping at five???).

Bio-Rad StarBrights (see ad in recent Science mag new products section).

QDots (ThermoFisher may [or not?] have solved aggregation issues with
most recent generation).

NIRvana Sciences (chlorins & bacteriochlorins, narrow emission peaks).

Old school flow cytometry: PE, APC, PerCP tandems … enabled flow to
reach 15+ plex in past several years (cutting=bleeding edge 30plex; BD,
BeckmanCoulter, and commercial “spectral flow cytometers” potentially
50plex) – I am curious whether Phitonex will be able to supplant the old
tandems, and perhaps break into fluorescence microscopy market.

See table at http://www.geomcnamara.com/fluorophore-table
<http://www.geomcnamara.com/fluorophore-table>  … if column sort does
not work, you can select a range for Stokes shift (ex. >100 nm) to
narrow the list to the longest Stokes shift fluorophores. . This data is
also in our CPHG Unit

https://currentprotocols.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cphg.42

web page table 2 can be highlighted, copied, pasted into Excel and
Stokes Shift column put in, and sorted.

I note the big payoff is for each excitation wavelength (ex. 355, 405,
488, 550, 640, 730nm laser lines or LED) excite and acquire many
simultaneously.

(Lack of) Conflict of interest disclosure: no financial interest in any
of the mentioned companies. I do have three spectral pathology (SPY)
patents, all expired (sigh), never resulted in any royalties (big sigh).

happy 2020,

George