video vs. CCD cameras

O'Malley, Donald O'Malley, Donald

video vs. CCD cameras

Hi Folks,

Not strictly a confocal question, but I am wondering if
researchers are still purchasing traditional "video"
cameras (i.e. Vidicon / Newvicon electronic imaging
devices).  My impression is that CCDs can now do
everything the old-style video camera could do, and
offer important advantages (such as quantum efficiency,
linearity and dynamic range).  But I am just wondering
if there are any imaging niches where the tube style
cameras are surviving?    I would expect that many of
these instruments are still in use-- they provided many
great movies of living cells and organelles over the years!
But are researchers still buying them?

thanks for any comments,
Don

p.s.  And I still owe the list a bibliography...which will
   hopefully emerge from the chaos of my life!

Donald M. O'Malley
Associate Professor
Dept. Biology
Northeastern University
Nowell, Cameron Nowell, Cameron

Re: video vs. CCD cameras

Hi Donald,
          I can see no need for anyone to purchase a older style video
camera instead of a new CCD. The new CCDs have the features you
mentioned, plus increased resolution and if you have the right camera an
ability to capture data at high frame rates (to do full motion video).
Though I can not think of many instances where you would need to capture
anythign in real time. All the "movies" we do here are captured anywhere
from 1 frame every minute to 1 frame every hour.

That being said we still have a couple of scopes with older style video
cameras on them (though I am pretty sure they are CCD based as well)
that we use for demonstating disections on.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell B.Sc (Hons)

Microscopy Imaging and Research Core Facility Peter MacCallum Cancer
Centre
7 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002

Phone: +61396561243
Mobile: +61422882700
Fax: +61396561411

[...]

This email (including any attachments) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.
Kevin Braeckmans Kevin Braeckmans

Re: video vs. CCD cameras

> Though I can not think of many instances where you would need to
> capture
> anythign in real time. All the "movies" we do here are captured
> anywhere
> from 1 frame every minute to 1 frame every hour.

I think that people who are studying (intracellular) molecular dynamics will
kindly disagree in this respect ;-)

Why else are EMCCD camera's becoming so popular now? Some of them can go up
to about 500 fps.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Braeckmans, Ph.D.
Lab. General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy
Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72
9000 Ghent
Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)9 264.80.78
Fax: +32 (0)9 264.81.89

Patrick Van Oostveldt Patrick Van Oostveldt

Re: video vs. CCD cameras

Dear,

We agree with Kevin, our first impression with confocal was that the
observed structures where quite immobile, but looking with a EMCCD we
stated they were shaking as mad.
So you cant conclude that the object stand still if you dont look at
it in high speed.Nyquist criteria are needed for XY imaging but also
for time sequences.

Bye

Patrick Van Oostveldt

--