water condensation on camera sensor

Edite Figueiras Edite Figueiras

water condensation on camera sensor

Dear All,

I wonder if anybody in the list had the same/similar issue we have in the
lab.

We have water condensation on the camera sensor (Andor Zyla camera) when we
turn on. It disappears when we turn off the camera.
The camera is attached to a lens as shown here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZLiSj4wI7xEzDaSsrVewVajyYMqtUcu/view?usp=sharing

This is how it looks in the image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F6NUd4X6VmbCy77GhrppxMGXZlKFDjqA/view?usp=sharing

Do you have suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Edite
Quintas Glasner de Medeiros, Gustavo Quintas Glasner de Medeiros, Gustavo

Re: water condensation on camera sensor

Dear Edite,

We had the same issue in exactly the same camera: about 1 month ago in our case the camera had been functional for around 4 years. I wondered whether this could be just from the age of the camera, but was still surprised to see this defect.

Regardless of warranty aspects, in your situation I would still contact Andor to look for a solution together, it should not be that difficult to have the sealing remade.

Good luck and all the best,
Gustavo
--
Gustavo Quintas Glasner de Medeiros
Postdoctoral Researcher

Edite
Gerhard Holst Gerhard Holst

AW: water condensation on camera sensor

Edite and Gustavo,

you are right about the assumption of condensation. It happens if humidity enters the sealed camera head (if you have an actively cooled cameras). Although it should not, this sometimes happens and the best advice is to contact the manufacturer and ask for a repair. Usually the humid air has to be removed and the head has to be refilled with dry gas (if there was no vacuum in there before) and if there are any humidity scavengers in the camera head, they will have to be re-activated.

Good luck and all the best,
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard Holst
Head of Research & Science
Business Development
+49 (0) 9441 2005 570

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de
Vorstand / Managing Board: Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Emil Ott
USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

Edite
Verónica Labrador Verónica Labrador

Re: water condensation on camera sensor

Dear all,

We have the same problem. Our Zyla 5.5 camera is coupled to a Zeiss 200M microscope. Acquistion is run by MicroManager 1.4.22 ImageJ. We solve this condensation problem deactivating the Camera Sensor Cooling option from Tools>Device Property Browser... everytime we use the system.

Hope this helps if you are in the same situation.

Kind regards,

Verónica
Cammer, Michael-2 Cammer, Michael-2

Re: water condensation on camera sensor

Sorry to hear you have this problem. This exact question has reoccurred on this list over the years.  This happened to our Zyla 5.5 and other people have reported similar.  If the seal breaks, water condenses on the chip or inside front plate when the cooling is on.  Andor can fix this, but they may charge you.

Regards-

Michael Cammer, Sr Research Scientist, DART Microscopy Laboratory
NYU Langone Health, 540 First Avenue, SK2 Microscopy Suite, New York, NY  10016
Office: 646-501-0567 Cell: 914-309-3270  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://nyulmc.org/micros  http://microscopynotes.com/
Acknowledgement in your publications and presentations of work performed in the Microscopy Core plays a vital role in securing support and the funding necessary to maintain and operate this valuable research resource.   For publications that were made possible by work performed in the core, please use the acknowledgement statement "We thank the NYU Langone Microscopy Core for experimental and technical support" and include required grant numbers as listed here http://microscopynotes.com/ilabnyu/acknowledgements2017.pdf
Please also consider staff for co-authorship if they played a key role in the study.

________________________________
I wonder if anybody in the list had the same/similar issue we have in the
lab.

We have water condensation on the camera sensor (Andor Zyla camera) when we
turn on. It disappears when we turn off the camera.
The camera is attached to a lens as shown here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZLiSj4wI7xEzDaSsrVewVajyYMqtUcu/view?usp=sharing

This is how it looks in the image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F6NUd4X6VmbCy77GhrppxMGXZlKFDjqA/view?usp=sharing

Do you have suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Edite

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
=================================
Edite Figueiras Edite Figueiras

Re: water condensation on camera sensor

Thank you all for your help!

I already contacted Andor but while waiting for their reply I wanted to
check this with you.
Indeed I searched for similar topics in the list server but I did not find
the previous discussions (due to my bad choice of keywords, now I found
them).

Thank you again for your help and stay safe!

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 13:54, Cammer, Michael <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Sorry to hear you have this problem. This exact question has reoccurred on
> this list over the years.  This happened to our Zyla 5.5 and other people
> have reported similar.  If the seal breaks, water condenses on the chip or
> inside front plate when the cooling is on.  Andor can fix this, but they
> may charge you.
>
> Regards-
>
> Michael Cammer, Sr Research Scientist, DART Microscopy Laboratory
> NYU Langone Health, 540 First Avenue, SK2 Microscopy Suite, New York, NY
> 10016
> Office: 646-501-0567 Cell: 914-309-3270  [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> http://nyulmc.org/micros  http://microscopynotes.com/
> Acknowledgement in your publications and presentations of work performed
> in the Microscopy Core plays a vital role in securing support and the
> funding necessary to maintain and operate this valuable research resource.
>  For publications that were made possible by work performed in the core,
> please use the acknowledgement statement "We thank the NYU Langone
> Microscopy Core for experimental and technical support" and include
> required grant numbers as listed here
> http://microscopynotes.com/ilabnyu/acknowledgements2017.pdf
> Please also consider staff for co-authorship if they played a key role in
> the study.
>

> ________________________________

j.springfield j.springfield

Re: AW: water condensation on camera sensor

We had the same issue late last year, Andor serviced the camera at no cost, it took about 3 months

best
James

Dr James Springfield
Microscopy Facility Manager
Institute for Molecular Bioscience
Level 6 North | 306 Carmody Road (Building 80) | The University of Queensland | Brisbane Qld 4072 Australia
Alan Mullan Alan Mullan

Re: water condensation on camera sensor

Hi Edite - since you already contacted Andor Support about the issue they should be able to give you full information for fixing your camera.

Very rarely condensation does cause this issue as described, thankfully it is serviceable and the camera can be restored to original performance. Andor would aim to repair, and fully test the camera operation, so hopefully we can get things resolved for you quickly.

Best Regards

Alan