CFP/YFP

Lee, Park Joo Lee, Park Joo

CFP/YFP

Hi Everyone,

Please help. What could be a good experimental setup to do live cell imaging
using CFP and YFP on two separate channels such excitation wavelength and
emission filters?

Park
Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: CFP/YFP

Ok, do you want to do confocal or two photon?
Can you afford an off-the-shelf system, or are you building your own
from scratch, or do you have an existing system you could modify?

Craig

On 9/21/07, Lee, Park Joo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Please help. What could be a good experimental setup to do live cell imaging
> using CFP and YFP on two separate channels such excitation wavelength and
> emission filters?
>
> Park

Michael Cammer Michael Cammer

Re: CFP/YFP

Another important question is the temporal and spatial resolution you
require.  Do you need to look at organelles in one yeast moving "real
time" or fields of COS, Hela or fibroblasts over many hours?

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Ok, do you want to do confocal or two photon?
> Can you afford an off-the-shelf system, or are you building your own
> from scratch, or do you have an existing system you could modify?
>
> Craig
>

> On 9/21/07, Lee, Park Joo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Please help. What could be a good experimental setup to do live cell
>> imaging
>> using CFP and YFP on two separate channels such excitation wavelength
>> and
>> emission filters?
>>
>> Park

Michael Cammer   http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/
Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: CFP/YFP

Hi Park,

based on your post, I assume you want to use a confocal, since you are
talking about channels and excitation wavelength?! Which type of system
are you using?

In general, I can not recommend to simultaneously acquire CFP and YFP,
since there is quite some overlapping between the emission of those both
dyes (see http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/index.html). Sequential
detection would be the way to go. You can do this line-by-line with a
confocal, or with dual dichroic plus fast emission filter wheel on a
camera-based system, if you would like to follow rapid events. Common
excitation wavelengths for CFP are 405/440/458, for YFP 514nm. The optimal
filter setup is based on your system (i.e. dichroic performance).
Fluorchrome databases like the one I mentioned above are very useful for
finding the best combination.

cheers,
Michael

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Another important question is the temporal and spatial resolution you
> require.  Do you need to look at organelles in one yeast moving "real
> time" or fields of COS, Hela or fibroblasts over many hours?
>

>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>> Ok, do you want to do confocal or two photon?
>> Can you afford an off-the-shelf system, or are you building your own
>> from scratch, or do you have an existing system you could modify?
>>
>> Craig
>>

>> On 9/21/07, Lee, Park Joo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> Please help. What could be a good experimental setup to do live cell
>>> imaging
>>> using CFP and YFP on two separate channels such excitation wavelength
>>> and
>>> emission filters?
>>>
>>> Park

> Michael Cammer   http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/
Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: CFP/YFP

CFP and YFP together with the 2-Photon are probably not the best choice,
because you cannot excite the dyes one after each other. And on the
emission side you will always get bleed-through from CFP to YFP channel.

cheers,
Michael