Chitin staining

Marco Büntzow Marco Büntzow

Chitin staining

Hi everybody,

I'm quite new to confocal business, so I will have a lot of questions in
the near future, but here is the first:
What stainings do I need to visualize chitin in very small arthropods
like copepods? I want to get pictures of external morphology and my
animals are smaller than 500µm. Autofluorescence is not sufficient for
these small structures. At least, I didn't get good results yet.
So I really need your help. Thank you all in advance.

Marco

Dipl. Biol. Marco Büntzow
Forschungsinstitut und Naturmuseum Senckenberg
Abt. Deutsches Zentrum für Marine Biodiversitätsforschung (DZMB)
- German Centre for Marine Biodiversity Research -
Südstrand 44
D-26382 Wilhelmshaven
Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)4421 9475-173
Fax:  +49 (0)4421 9475-111
e-mail: [hidden email]
Patrick Van Oostveldt Patrick Van Oostveldt

Re: Chitin staining

Dear Marco,

You can use confocal reflection microscopy to visualize external morphology.

Bye

Patrick

Quoting Marco Büntzow <[hidden email]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm quite new to confocal business, so I will have a lot of questions
> in the near future, but here is the first:
> What stainings do I need to visualize chitin in very small
> arthropods like copepods? I want to get pictures of external
> morphology and my animals are smaller than 500µm. Autofluorescence
> is not sufficient for these small structures. At least, I didn't get
>  good results yet.
> So I really need your help. Thank you all in advance.
>
> Marco
>
> --
> Dipl. Biol. Marco Büntzow
> Forschungsinstitut und Naturmuseum Senckenberg
> Abt. Deutsches Zentrum für Marine Biodiversitätsforschung (DZMB)
> - German Centre for Marine Biodiversity Research -
> Südstrand 44
> D-26382 Wilhelmshaven
> Germany
> Tel.: +49 (0)4421 9475-173
> Fax:  +49 (0)4421 9475-111
> e-mail: [hidden email]

Dep. Moleculaire Biotechnologie
Coupure links 653
B 9000 GENT

tel 09 264 5969
fax 09 264 6219
Ole Sten Møller Ole Sten Møller

Re: Chitin staining

Hello Marco,

I would guess that you could get nice results from autofluoroscence; maybe if you took some hints from this paper?

J. Michels "Confocal laser scanning microscopy: using cuticular autofluorescence for high resolution morphological imaging"
Journal of Microscopy, vol 227, pt 1 2007, pp.1-7

Just a thought, and I look forward to hearing about the results.

all the best,
Ole

---

Dr. Ole S. Möller

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Allgemeine und Spezielle Zoologie
Institut für Biowissenschaften, Universität Rostock
Universitätsplatz 2
D-18055 Rostock

Tel: (+49) 381 498 6279
Funk: (+49) 0177 5155354

Fax: (+49) 381 498 6262

[hidden email]
[hidden email]

http://www.biologie.uni-rostock.de/zoologie/moeller.htm

Rosemary.White Rosemary.White

Re: Chitin staining

Hi Marco,

We use wheat germ agglutinin to stain fungal chitin, maybe you could use it
for insect chitin as well?  The Alexa-tagged WGAs are brightest, though most
expensive, available from Molecular Probes.  You just dilute in water, and
add to your specimen for 10 min to a couple of hours, rinse, observe.
Surface waxes might block access to the chitin, I guess.  Might be worth a
try.

There are probably other non-specific stains, maybe propidium iodide or
Schiff's reagent might work on insects as well?

cheers,
Rosemary

Dr Rosemary White               [hidden email]
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     61 (0)2-6246 5475
GPO Box 1600                       fax.     61 (0)2-6246 5334
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia