Custom cell culture media?

Jennifer Waters Jennifer Waters

Custom cell culture media?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
I'm looking to have some DMEM made without riboflavin & folic acid.  We'd like to add small amounts of these fluorescent components to the media, to try to find a level that keeps cells happy while minimizing background for live cell imaging.  Has anyone tried this?  I know I could make it myself by ordering all of the individual components (ugh), and I know that Invitrogen will do this for large batches (10L).  Does anyone know of a company that will make smaller batches of custom media?

Thanks, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School
Andrew Resnick Andrew Resnick

Re: Custom cell culture media?

I'm interested in this exact item, myself, for the same reason.  I
have been unable to locate either a supplier or a manufacturer, and
would appreciate any information as well!

Andy

At 12:02 PM 1/14/2008, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>I'm looking to have some DMEM made without riboflavin & folic
>acid.  We'd like to add small amounts of these fluorescent
>components to the media, to try to find a level that keeps cells
>happy while minimizing background for live cell imaging.  Has anyone
>tried this?  I know I could make it myself by ordering all of the
>individual components (ugh), and I know that Invitrogen will do this
>for large batches (10L).  Does anyone know of a company that will
>make smaller batches of custom media?
>
>Thanks, Jennifer
>
>--
>Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
>Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School

Andrew Resnick, Ph. D.
Instructor
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
Case Western Reserve University
216-368-6899 (V)
216-368-4223 (F)
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: Custom cell culture media?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
-
Jennifer,

Lonza makes custom media, but I don't know the quantity limits:

Atlanta Biologicals makes custom media down to six liter batches:

and a Google search for [custom cell culture media] will give several additional hits...

Your Institution (or other local academia/biotechs) must have cell culture facilities... have you tried asking them?

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful...

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

=

On Jan 14, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Jennifer Waters wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
I'm looking to have some DMEM made without riboflavin & folic acid.  We'd like to add small amounts of these fluorescent components to the media, to try to find a level that keeps cells happy while minimizing background for live cell imaging.  Has anyone tried this?  I know I could make it myself by ordering all of the individual components (ugh), and I know that Invitrogen will do this for large batches (10L).  Does anyone know of a company that will make smaller batches of custom media?

Thanks, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Director, Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School

heckman@bgnet.bgsu.edu heckman@bgnet.bgsu.edu

Re: Custom cell culture media?

Jennifer-
Atlanta Biologicals will also do it. THey probably all want to make a
large batch, but it comes as a powder.  It is hard to make small
batches because many of the components are at very low dilution in
media.

Carol Heckman
Mancini, Michael A Mancini, Michael A

Free High Throughput Systems Biology meeting in Houston, Jan 28, 2008

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Free High Throughput Systems Biology meeting in Houston, Jan 28, 2008

Dear microscopists,

For those near enough to Houston to consider attending, here is a notice for next week's, free, one-day high throughput-imaging-based symposium at Baylor College of Medicine (Jan 28, 2008).

Registration is free, but required; please follow this link to register:

     http://www.accelrys.com/events/seminars/gcc

High Throughput Systems Biology:
Drug Screening and Applications for Personalized Medicine

        Agenda

        10:00 am
        Morning Session
        Session Chair: Michael Mancini, Baylor College of Medicine
        Overview: Studying systems biology at the single cell level

        10:10 am
        Massively Parallel High Content Signal Transduction Analysis
        John Westwick, Odyssey Thera

        10:40 am
        Novel Approaches to High Content Analysis Using Live Cells
        David Andrews, McMaster University

        11:10 am
        Direct High Throughput Systems Level Analyses of Wild Type and Clinical Mutations of the Androgen Receptor
        Adam Szafran, Mancini Lab, Baylor College of Medicine

        11:40 am
        Cellular Systems Biology Applied to Drug Discovery and Drug Development
        Lans Taylor, Cellumen Inc

        12:10 pm
        LUNCH

        1:10 pm
        Afternoon Session
        Session Chair: Peter J. Davies, UTHSC-Houston
        Overview: High throughput systems biology in the Texas Medical Center and the John S. Dunn Gulf Coast Consortium for Chemical Genomics

        1:15 pm
        Advances in High Throughput HCS Instrumentation/Repository and Multi-Compartment Image Cytometry Software for Systems Biology
        Jeff Price, Burnham Institute

        1:45 pm
        Automated Proteome-Wide Determination and Modeling of Subcellular Location for Systems Biology
        Robert Murphy, Carnegie Mellon

        2:15 pm
        Enhanced Retroviral RM Mutagen (ERM) Technology and Genome-Wide Interaction Screens
        Songyang Zhou, Baylor College of Medicine

        2:45 pm
        Automated Systems Biology BioInformatics
        Tim Moran and Nancy Latimer, Accelrys

        3:15 pm
        Coffee Break

        3:30 pm
        Combining High Content Confocal Microscopy with High Throughput Screening
        Jim Borree, Evotec/Perkin-Elmer

        4:00 pm
        Functional Profiling of Molecular Libraries Against Biological Space
        Daniel R. Rines, Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

        4:15 pm
        Round Table Discussion with Speakers
        Moderator: David Tweardy, MD, ad interim Chair, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine

=========================
Michael A. Mancini, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Director, Integrated Microscopy Core
Co-Director, Gulf Coast Consortium for Chemical Genomics
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX  77030
713 798 8952 voice
713 798 3017 fax