FRET in publications

Page Baluch Page Baluch

FRET in publications

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal I have a question in regards to publishing FRET data. Our University has a Leica SP2 confocal microscope that calculates the FRET percentage values and I have used this data in publications where experimental and control values were measured but recently I submitted a publication and was asked to provide more information regarding this data. A reviewer asked that FRET traces be shown and more explanation as to the degree of interaction. I was curious on how others reported this data and what additional information you also present with your percent FRET values.
 Thanks for your assistance,
Page

--
Page Baluch, Ph.D.
Arizona State University/SoLS
480-965-7011
Brian Bennett-6 Brian Bennett-6

Re: FRET in publications

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Dear Page

I worked for Leica for awhile and have a lot of experience on the SP2, I know there is some variability with the FRET calculations.  With that said, there is probably one of the best FRET guys I have ever worked with at Leica , his name is Scott Young and he can be reached in there Exton Pa office (provided he is still with the company but I believe he is) – he is really good with this, worth a phone call -  I think you can reach him at the leica one call number -

Hope this helps – I think given my experience with working for Leica in the past they will go out of their way to help you

Regards

Brian

Dr. Brian T. Bennett

Chief Scientist - Microscopy

Lake Placid Biologicals

1915 Saranac Ave, STE 2

Lake Placid, NY 12946

518-523-7025 X202

[hidden email]

Instrumedics CryoJane

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
I am writing the listserve to request information about personal experience and opinion regarding the Instrumedics CryoJane tape system for preparing cryosections for confocal microscopy analysis.

Specifically,

1.  does it do a better job of retaining antigenicity in tissues that contain bone since you do not have to use reagents to decalcify before cutting them?

2.  Does it work as nicely as it was shown to in the demonstration at the Neuroscience meeting in San Diego this year?

3.  Is it worth the expenditure of money?  Apparently it requires a motorized sectioning cryostat to be really effective in cutting through tissue that contains bone or through whole embryos.

4.  Other relevant information positive or negative regarding its use for immunofluorescent analyses.

Thanks,
Mary Ann Asson-Batres

Mary Ann Asson-Batres, PhD

Associate Professor