Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Oliver Biehlmaier-2 Oliver Biehlmaier-2

Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Dear listers,

For the 3rd time in 3 years we are experiencing issues with the Prior joystick on our LSM700. It continues moving the XY stage as it cannot hold a still position with its loose stick.
The first time, we had to replace it after 6 years, then after 2 years and now after 1.5 years. We have no idea why this is happening so often on this system as we never had issues with joysticks on other systems from Zeiss or their competitors.
The replacement price for the joystick is horrendous (>1’500USD), in particular for this type of joystick that is still using mechanics from the last century (Do you remember the 2 turning metal axis type?).
Did any of you also encounter issues with this type of joystick?
If so, what did you do?
Already last time I was wondering whether we could replace it by a different brand or maybe even a gamer joystick but the main issue is the COM-cable and its pins. They are connected in a unique way and any other joystick will not work with the respective controller. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Oliver

Oliver Biehlmaier, PhD | Head of Imaging Core Facility  | Biozentrum, University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel
Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf> | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/> | https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy | @imcf_basel<https://twitter.com/imcf_basel> | Online office: https://wiki.biozentrum.unibas.ch/x/YFYfCw

Petro Petro

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Hi Oliver.
Unfortunately, that happens. We had to change it after ~5 years, and
Olympus representatives told us it is a frequent problem. So fat it works.
The stage is controlled via RS232. I wrote a script that can control it via
a numerical keyboard. Also, I connected an old Leica SP2 panel, so I can
use it to control the stage. It shall be no big problem to program any
other joystick to control it.
Hope it will give you some idea.
Best.
Petro.

--
______________________________
Petro Khoroshyy
Flemingovo nám. 2 | 166 10 Praha 6 | Czech Republic
kspencer007 kspencer007

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

We also had frequent problems with  a Prior stage continuing to move after the joystick was released (three joystick repairs in about 4 years). After observing some seriously aggressive joystick manipulations by a user, I suggested more subtle finesse of movement instead of extreme gaming maneuvers. Amazingly, after this particular post-doc left the institute, the same joystick has never had another issue in over 6 years. Coincidence? Unlikely.
        Best;
Kathy Spencer

The Scripps Research Institute
Core Microscopy
DNC 216
10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA 92037

Enrique Martin Blanco Enrique Martin Blanco

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

we have problems as well. I think it is a connexion somewhere. Opening the
joystick and cleaning the mechanics can help. We also had issues with the
software controlling the stage as sometimes the stage moves erratically
when moving to marked positions.
any info will be very valuable
best
Enrique

[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Dear listers,
>
> For the 3rd time in 3 years we are experiencing issues with the Prior
> joystick on our LSM700. It continues moving the XY stage as it cannot hold
> a still position with its loose stick.
> The first time, we had to replace it after 6 years, then after 2 years and
> now after 1.5 years. We have no idea why this is happening so often on this
> system as we never had issues with joysticks on other systems from Zeiss or
> their competitors.
> The replacement price for the joystick is horrendous (>1’500USD), in
> particular for this type of joystick that is still using mechanics from the
> last century (Do you remember the 2 turning metal axis type?).
> Did any of you also encounter issues with this type of joystick?
> If so, what did you do?
> Already last time I was wondering whether we could replace it by a
> different brand or maybe even a gamer joystick but the main issue is the
> COM-cable and its pins. They are connected in a unique way and any other
> joystick will not work with the respective controller. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Oliver
>

> Oliver Biehlmaier, PhD | Head of Imaging Core Facility  | Biozentrum,
> University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel
> Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]> | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<
> http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf> | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<
> http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/> |
> https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy | @imcf_basel<
> https://twitter.com/imcf_basel> | Online office:
> https://wiki.biozentrum.unibas.ch/x/YFYfCw

--
Dr. Enrique Martin-Blanco
Instituto de Biología Molecular de Barcelona

<http://linkedin.com/company/ibmb>   <https://twitter.com/IBMB_CSIC>
<https://www.instagram.com/ibmb_csic_/>
<https://www.facebook.com/IBMB.CSIC.es>

kspencer007 kspencer007

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Hi Oliver;
        I happened to be in the room when this person was imaging, and heard the joystick being rammed to the limits. I gently suggested this person relax. Then I put cause and effect together, once we discovered what was broken inside of the joystick. I was still reluctant to call out this person, but since we've had no problems since they left, I'm now sure the aggressive behavior is what caused the joystick issue.
        Best;
Kathy

Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf> | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/> | https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy | @imcf_basel<https://twitter.com/imcf_basel> | Online office: https://wiki.biozentrum.unibas.ch/x/YFYfCw
Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

I had some issues with multiple Prior joysticks about 5-6 years ago. I
grilled Prior at their booth at Photonics West and they admitted they had
some issues with the potentiometers they were using in the sticks, and that
they were switching over to a new design. They sent a unit to me with the
new pots and I haven't had an issue since, so they seem to have fixed the
problem.
This said, rough handling will take a toll on any equipment, so encourage
your users to employ a bit of finesse. :)

Craig

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM Oliver Biehlmaier <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Actually, this option also crossed my mind as we did not have any problems
> in the first 6 years.
> How did you identify 'the gamer'?
> Cheers,
> Oliver
>

> On 21 Aug 2020, at 18:09, Kathryn Spencer <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> We also had frequent problems with  a Prior stage continuing to move after
> the joystick was released (three joystick repairs in about 4 years). After
> observing some seriously aggressive joystick manipulations by a user, I
> suggested more subtle finesse of movement instead of extreme gaming
> maneuvers. Amazingly, after this particular post-doc left the institute,
> the same joystick has never had another issue in over 6 years. Coincidence?
> Unlikely.
> Best;
> Kathy Spencer
>
> The Scripps Research Institute
> Core Microscopy
> DNC 216
> 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA 92037

Hillary Guzik-2 Hillary Guzik-2

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

I am not sure if  it is the same unit, however our zeiss joystick will also stop working at times. We have found that it get junk in the ball portion of it which stops it from moving.  To fix this if you turn the whole joystick upside-down and gently tap, you can also move the stick side to side. This method has suppressing has fixed the "not moving" joystick almost ever time. It is stupid and simple but it has worked for us a lot.
Arvydas Matiukas Arvydas Matiukas

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Hi Oliver,

I had good experience over last 16 years with German made joysticks for LSM510 and LSM780 systems.  510 joystick lasted 15 years and 780- 5 years when some mechanics got worn and the handle was not completely returning to the center position resulting in slow constant drift of the sample.

If under service contract joystick replacement is not a problem. Otherwise German made joysticks seem to be more durable. While joystick is broken stage may be controlled by the virtual joystick in ZEN software: less convenient but acceptable as a temporary solution.

Best regards,

Arvydas

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Arvydas Matiukas, Ph.D.
Director of  Advanced Fluorescent Microscopy Core
Manager of NRB Shared Research Equipment

SUNY Upstate Medical University
USA

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgBkdl0K-Q$

Post images on https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.imgur.com__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgBaReVKuw$  and include the link in your posting.

*****

Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgDsNbDNwg$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgDsNbDNwg$ > | https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgDaGpnxEQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgBWIVDsEQ$ > | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgDpO90iyg$  | @imcf_basel<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/imcf_basel__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgAl2ozXUw$ > | Online office: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wiki.biozentrum.unibas.ch/x/YFYfCw__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fLKsTmykj6bro-VoLklNYPsrfr6HNvSyTZawQ3ThNlcbM2l3y4lkPypdtgBhv1Y22g$
Jacqueline Ross Jacqueline Ross

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Hi Oliver,

Further to Hillary's comment below, we have an Olympus confocal microscope with a Prior stage. We also had some issues with continued movement (after letting go the joystick) a few years ago. It was mainly in the X (horizontal) direction. Cleaning the joystick seemed to sort out the problem as there was some particles lodged there but this also coincided with the departure of a couple of people who seemed to be regularly experiencing the issue, so it may have been rough handling. I never had the problem myself even though I was training people regularly.

I do make a point of telling all users that it is X and Y only, not circular and I specifically tell them "no gaming moves". This is for both Olympus and Zeiss users (Zeiss we have Marzhaser stages). Years ago, someone managed to break off the plastic cap on the joystick for a Marzhauser stage. No idea how they did it but fortunately I was able to glue it back on because otherwise it required a completely new stage to be purchased.

Cheers,

Jacqui

Jacqueline Ross
Lead Technologist
Optical Microscopy & Image Analysis
Biomedical Imaging Research Unit (BIRU)
School of Medical Sciences
Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142, NEW ZEALAND

Telephone: Ext 87438; DDI:  +64 9 923 7438

Website:    http://www.auckland.ac.nz/biru

I am not sure if  it is the same unit, however our zeiss joystick will also stop working at times. We have found that it get junk in the ball portion of it which stops it from moving.  To fix this if you turn the whole joystick upside-down and gently tap, you can also move the stick side to side. This method has suppressing has fixed the "not moving" joystick almost ever time. It is stupid and simple but it has worked for us a lot.

Thomas Braunstein Thomas Braunstein

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

Hi. We had some faulty joysticks for Zeiss systems too. They normally start drifting slowly in some direction. It turns out that they get dirty in the ball joint, where the stick is attached to the base, and for that reason they don't move fully back to the center position. A simple trick that normally works is to give them a drop of oil in the joint. Best, Thomas (CFIM, Copenhagen)
Petro Petro

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

I guess I shall watch our users :) to catch a guilty one.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 6:24 PM Kathryn Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> We also had frequent problems with  a Prior stage continuing to move after
> the joystick was released (three joystick repairs in about 4 years). After
> observing some seriously aggressive joystick manipulations by a user, I
> suggested more subtle finesse of movement instead of extreme gaming
> maneuvers. Amazingly, after this particular post-doc left the institute,
> the same joystick has never had another issue in over 6 years. Coincidence?
> Unlikely.
>         Best;
> Kathy Spencer
>
> The Scripps Research Institute
> Core Microscopy
> DNC 216
> 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA 92037

Thanks for the many useful replies.

We sent an email out to our users asking to abstain from any ‘Decathlon’ or ‘Mortal Combat’ moves on the joystick ;-)
I can clearly imagine that this might be a co-factor for the short lifetime.

Best,

On 25 Aug 2020, at 05:51, Khoroshyy Petro <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I guess I shall watch our users :) to catch a guilty one.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 6:24 PM Kathryn Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

We also had frequent problems with  a Prior stage continuing to move after
the joystick was released (three joystick repairs in about 4 years). After
observing some seriously aggressive joystick manipulations by a user, I
suggested more subtle finesse of movement instead of extreme gaming
maneuvers. Amazingly, after this particular post-doc left the institute,
the same joystick has never had another issue in over 6 years. Coincidence?
Unlikely.
       Best;
Kathy Spencer

The Scripps Research Institute
Core Microscopy
DNC 216
10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA 92037

Gary Laevsky Gary Laevsky

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

I’m sorry, but what is a “gamer move” on a joystick?  Just moving it fast?  My Prior joysticks have been rock solid.

Best,

Gary

> On Aug 25, 2020, at 5:00 AM, Oliver Biehlmaier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Thanks for the many useful replies.
>
> We sent an email out to our users asking to abstain from any ‘Decathlon’ or ‘Mortal Combat’ moves on the joystick ;-)
> I can clearly imagine that this might be a co-factor for the short lifetime.
>
> Best,
> Oliver
>

> Oliver Biehlmaier, PhD | Head of Imaging Core Facility  | Biozentrum, University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel
> Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf> | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch/> | https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy | @imcf_basel<https://twitter.com/imcf_basel> | Online office: https://wiki.biozentrum.unibas.ch/x/YFYfCw
>

> On 25 Aug 2020, at 05:51, Khoroshyy Petro <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> I guess I shall watch our users :) to catch a guilty one.
>

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 6:24 PM Kathryn Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> We also had frequent problems with  a Prior stage continuing to move after
> the joystick was released (three joystick repairs in about 4 years). After
> observing some seriously aggressive joystick manipulations by a user, I
> suggested more subtle finesse of movement instead of extreme gaming
> maneuvers. Amazingly, after this particular post-doc left the institute,
> the same joystick has never had another issue in over 6 years. Coincidence?
> Unlikely.
>       Best;
> Kathy Spencer
>
> The Scripps Research Institute
> Core Microscopy
> DNC 216
> 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA 92037

kspencer007 kspencer007

Re: Faulty joysticks on ZEISS LSM700 systems

By gamer move, I mean slamming the joystick to its extremes (Pac-Man anyone? Yes, I'm old). On our systems, little plastic bits inside the joystick assembly were broken....repeatedly. Again, after this postdoc left, there were no more problems.
Kathy

I’m sorry, but what is a “gamer move” on a joystick?  Just moving it fast?  My Prior joysticks have been rock solid.

Best,

Gary

> On Aug 25, 2020, at 5:00 AM, Oliver Biehlmaier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Thanks for the many useful replies.
>
> We sent an email out to our users asking to abstain from any
> ‘Decathlon’ or ‘Mortal Combat’ moves on the joystick ;-) I can clearly imagine that this might be a co-factor for the short lifetime.
>
> Best,
> Oliver
>

> Oliver Biehlmaier, PhD | Head of Imaging Core Facility  | Biozentrum,
> University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel
> Phone: +41 61 207 20 73 | Email:
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> |
> www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf<http://www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/imcf> |
> www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch<http://www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch
> /> | https://www.ls2.ch/sections/microscopy |
> @imcf_basel<https://twitter.com/imcf_basel> | Online office:
> https://wiki.biozentrum.unibas.ch/x/YFYfCw
>

> On 25 Aug 2020, at 05:51, Khoroshyy Petro <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> I guess I shall watch our users :) to catch a guilty one.
>

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 6:24 PM Kathryn Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *****
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> We also had frequent problems with  a Prior stage continuing to move
> after the joystick was released (three joystick repairs in about 4
> years). After observing some seriously aggressive joystick
> manipulations by a user, I suggested more subtle finesse of movement
> instead of extreme gaming maneuvers. Amazingly, after this particular
> post-doc left the institute, the same joystick has never had another issue in over 6 years. Coincidence?
> Unlikely.
>       Best;
> Kathy Spencer
>
> The Scripps Research Institute
> Core Microscopy
> DNC 216
> 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA 92037

Commercial grade XY potentiometers are often designed for the short
thumbsticks on gaming console controllers. The stubby thumbstick limits the
torque that can be applied to the mechanism. If you take the same
potentiometer and attach a longer stick to it, i.e. your typical stage
joystick, the user can apply more torque than the typical use case.

Craig