Fourier transform

Sarah Kefayati Sarah Kefayati

Fourier transform

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear All,

I'm plotting the Fourier transform of the Gaussian psf graphs,by the math and equations I know that cutoff frequency is equal to invers of  psf width,but I'm trying to understand the concept behind it,I appreciate if you could help me with it!

regards
Sarah
Andrew Resnick Andrew Resnick

Re: Fourier transform

Here's how I explain it:

Without the math- because frequency is inversely related to distance,
the pulsewidth and bandwidth are inversely related.

With the math: Define a Gaussian function to be
Exp(-pi*[x/b]^2).  This is a Gaussian with area 'b', and FWHM of about 2*b.
The Fourier transform integral is of the form Integral
(Exp[-p^2*x^2+q*x])dx = sqrt[pi]/p *Exp[q^2/4p^2]

Substituting in p = Sqrt[pi]/b, q = 2*pi*i*u (u is the conjugate
variable to x) gives b*Exp[-4*pi*b^2*u^2], which is a Gaussian with
FWHM of about 1/2*b, inversely proportional to the initial Gaussian.

Hope this helps,

Andy

At 09:23 AM 8/29/2007, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>Dear All,
>
>I'm plotting the Fourier transform of the Gaussian psf graphs,by the
>math and equations I know that cutoff frequency is equal to invers
>of  psf width,but I'm trying to understand the concept behind it,I
>appreciate if you could help me with it!
>
>regards
>Sarah

Andrew Resnick, Ph. D.
Instructor
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
Case Western Reserve University
216-368-6899 (V)
216-368-4223 (F)
Cris Luengo Cris Luengo

Re: Fourier transform

Another very simple explanation:

You need samples to be closer together to properly sample a narrower
Gaussian. Samples closer together are able to represent higher
frequencies. The narrower Gaussian contains higher frequencies.
It's cut-off frequency is higher.

Cris.

--
Cris L. Luengo Hendriks, PhD

Life Sciences Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
One Cyclotron Road, Mail Stop 84R0171
Berkeley, California 94720-8268, USA

tel: +1-510-486-5359
fax: +1-510-486-5730

http://clluengo.lbl.gov/
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: Fourier transform

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Sarah,

this site may be of interest:

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Sarah Kefayati wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear All,

I'm plotting the Fourier transform of the Gaussian psf graphs,by the math and equations I know that cutoff frequency is equal to invers of  psf width,but I'm trying to understand the concept behind it,I appreciate if you could help me with it!

regards
Sarah

Jason Swedlow Jason Swedlow

Re: Fourier transform

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi-

Understanding these concepts is the key to understanding microscopy. Everyone has their favorite reference-- the one that suddenly provided the "aha!" moment.  Mine, that I discovered a couple of weeks before my qualifying exams as a grad student, is "Introduction to Fourier Optics" by Joseph Goodman.  ISBN 0974707724.   The first edition was lovely; the second edition has a few more chapters that might be less relevant, but the core is still there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jason

On 8/29/07, Julio Vazquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Sarah,

this site may be of interest: