Glass Cleaner

nathan witherspoon nathan witherspoon

Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
I have been told that Sparkle is the glass cleaner of choice for cleaning objectives because it will not eat away coatings.
I just noticed on the bottle we have that it says Sparkle can be diluted "one part water to two parts Sparkle."
So does everyone dilute it or use the pure form?  Does it really matter?

Thanks,
Nathan
Dan Focht Dan Focht

Re: Glass Cleaner

Nathan

I definitely dilute it.
After the water evaporates from the mildly diluted Sparkle, you still
need to further dilute the residual film with distilled water so that
there is no residual left at all.

Dan

On Nov 16, 2007, at 3:35 PM, nathan witherspoon wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-
bin/wa?S1=confocal
I have been told that Sparkle is the glass cleaner of choice for
cleaning objectives because it will not eat away coatings.
I just noticed on the bottle we have that it says Sparkle can be
diluted "one part water to two parts Sparkle."
So does everyone dilute it or use the pure form?  Does it really matter?

Thanks,
Nathan

Dan Focht
Bioptechs Inc.
V (724)282-7145
F (724)282-0745
www.bioptechs.com
Vickery Trinkaus-Randall Vickery Trinkaus-Randall

Re: Glass Cleaner

I use the diluted form
Vickery

nathan witherspoon wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> I have been told that Sparkle is the glass cleaner of choice for
> cleaning objectives because it will not eat away coatings.
> I just noticed on the bottle we have that it says Sparkle can be
> diluted "one part water to two parts Sparkle."
> So does everyone dilute it or use the pure form?  Does it really matter?
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan
Donnelly, Tom Donnelly, Tom

Re: Glass Cleaner

Re: Glass Cleaner

The company makes a clear Sparkle called "pc cleaner".

This should deposit less film, also the purple dye possibly is fluorescent.

Tom
--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

This message was sent via Blackberry.

> I have been told that Sparkle is the glass cleaner of choice for
> cleaning objectives because it will not eat away coatings.
> I just noticed on the bottle we have that it says Sparkle can be
> diluted "one part water to two parts Sparkle."
> So does everyone dilute it or use the pure form?  Does it really matter?
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan

Farid Jalali Farid Jalali

Re: Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal hi tom,
is the Sparkle 'pc cleaner' called Sparkle Anti-Static Ergonomic Screen Cleaner by the company. i would liek to order this and just want to be sure. there is a link below for those interested.

thanks
farid

http://www.bestcleaningproducts.com/shop/product.asp_Q_prodID_E_3759

--
Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
416-581-7791 STTARR Micrroscopy Suite
Donnelly, Tom Donnelly, Tom

Re: Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
This is what I got back from their customer service:

Our Sparkle Flat Screen Cleaner contains no purple dye as does our aerosol.

The Flat Screen Cleaner sells for $14.95 for 3-8 oz. bottles, or $55.95 for a case of 12.  The Aerosol sells for $16.95 for 3-20 oz. spray cans.  Shipping and handling per order is $6.95.  It ships out UPS Ground.

A. J. Funk & Company
Manufacturers of Sparkle Glass Cleaner

Farid Jalali Farid Jalali

Re: Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Thanks Tom.

I am surprised to say that the company does not ship outside of the continental USA. Are there any Canadian's on the list using this product and if so, is there a Canadian distributor? If anyone has any suggestions to help me get some Sparkle, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Farid

Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank"> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.glasscleaner.com/" target="_blank">http://www.glasscleaner.com/

Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal hi tom,

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.bestcleaningproducts.com/shop/product.asp_Q_prodID_E_3759" target="_blank">http://www.bestcleaningproducts.com/shop/product.asp_Q_prodID_E_3759

--
Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
Dr. Robert Bristow Lab
Applied Molecular Oncology
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto, Canada
416-946-4501 X4351 (Princess Margaret Hospital)
416-581-7754 STTARR at MaRS Building
416-581-7791 STTARR Micrroscopy Suite

--
Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
Dr. Robert Bristow Lab
Applied Molecular Oncology
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto, Canada
416-946-4501 X4351 (Princess Margaret Hospital)
416-581-7754 STTARR at MaRS Building
416-581-7791 STTARR Micrroscopy Suite
Martin Wessendorf Martin Wessendorf

Re: Glass Cleaner

Farid Jalali wrote:

> I am surprised to say that the company does not ship outside of the
> continental USA. Are there any Canadian's on the list using this product
> and if so, is there a Canadian distributor? If anyone has any
> suggestions to help me get some Sparkle, that would be greatly appreciated.

Kodak lens cleaner works, as well, as would probably any commercial lens
cleaning solution--just more expensive per ml.

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
Judy Trogadis Judy Trogadis

Re: Glass Cleaner

Having ordered this product from Canada several years ago, I was also intrigued by this response so I called AJ Funk, the manufacturer of Sparkle. They confirmed that indeed, they no longer ship to Canada because of the horrendous amounts of paperwork and costs involved in the border crossing - welcome to the new reality. The product is stocked in Ace and Tru Valu hardware stores but I don't think we have any of those in Canada.

I'm lucky, I have good friends in the US, in Buffalo, just across the border from me and I can ship stuff there (hope Homeland Security is not listening).

Judy

Judy Trogadis
Bio-Imaging Coordinator
St. Michael's Hospital, 7Queen
30 Bond St.
Toronto, ON M5B 1W8, Canada
ph:  416-864-6060  x6337
pager: 416-685-9219
fax: 416-864-6043
[hidden email]

Farid Jalali wrote:

> I am surprised to say that the company does not ship outside of the
> continental USA. Are there any Canadian's on the list using this product
> and if so, is there a Canadian distributor? If anyone has any
> suggestions to help me get some Sparkle, that would be greatly appreciated.

Kodak lens cleaner works, as well, as would probably any commercial lens
cleaning solution--just more expensive per ml.

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
Phillips, Thomas E. Phillips, Thomas E.

Re: Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal But the real question is whether the Sparkle Flat Screen Cleaner has a similar chemical composition to the purple spray other than the color. Not all glass cleaners are equally recommended for objectives so just because this is a Sparkle product, one can't be sure it is equally safe. I am copying this message to Sparkle and will post their reply.

The Canadians who can't find Sparkle in their country need to find some American who will ship them inexpensive prescription drugs in exchange for Sparkle. just kidding...

http://www.glasscleaner.com/

--
Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
Dr. Robert Bristow Lab
Applied Molecular Oncology
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto, Canada
416-946-4501 X4351 (Princess Margaret Hospital)
416-581-7754 STTARR at MaRS Building
416-581-7791 STTARR Micrroscopy Suite

Thomas E. Phillips, PhD
Professor of Biological Sciences
Director, Molecular Cytology Core
2 Tucker Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211-7400

573-882-4712 (office)
573-882-0123 (fax)
[hidden email]
http://www.biology.missouri.edu/faculty/phillips.html
http://www.biotech.missouri.edu/mcc/

S. Brunet S. Brunet

Re: Glass Cleaner

Hello:

I bought mine through Ted Pella / Pelco International.  I guess they sell enough
stuff to Canada that the paperwork is not a big deal.

No comemrcial affiliation.

Regards,
Sophie
Sophie M. K. Brunet, Ph. D.
Research Officer
Optical Spectroscopy, Laser Systems and Applications
Chemistry 112 sessional lecturer
[hidden email]
306-966-1719 (office)   306-966-1702 (fax)
Saskatchewan Structural Sciences Centre
University of Saskatchewan
Thorvaldson Bldg.
110 Science Place
Saskatoon, Sk   S7N 5C9

Quoting Farid Jalali <[hidden email]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Thanks Tom.
>
> I am surprised to say that the company does not ship outside of the
> continental USA. Are there any Canadian's on the list using this product and
> if so, is there a Canadian distributor? If anyone has any suggestions to
> help me get some Sparkle, that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Farid
>

> On 11/19/07, Donnelly, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> > http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal  This is what I
> > got back from their customer service:
> >
> >  Our Sparkle Flat Screen Cleaner contains no purple dye as does our
> > aerosol.
> >
> > The Flat Screen Cleaner sells for $14.95 for 3-8 oz. bottles, or $55.95
> > for a case of 12.  The Aerosol sells for $16.95 for 3-20 oz. spray cans.
> > Shipping and handling per order is $6.95.  It ships out UPS Ground.
> >
> >  A. J. Funk & Company
> > Manufacturers of Sparkle Glass Cleaner
> > Phone: 847-741-6760  1-877-225-3865
> > [hidden email]
> > http://www.glasscleaner.com/

Claire Brown Claire Brown

Re: Glass Cleaner

We use Glass Plus which I have also been unable to find in Canada. We are
also close to the boarder so I bought some when I was last in Vermont. I
looked into shipping to Canada and a case of Glass Plus was about $20 but
the shipping was $150 or so!

We haven't been diluting it, but after the notes on this thread I think we
will now.

Claire
Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Re: Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi all,

Is there an equivalent available in Singapore? Any proponents of 99% ethanol denatured in 1% methanol? Is it safe?

Cheers
Shalin

On Nov 21, 2007 9:52 PM, Claire Brown < [hidden email]> wrote:
We use Glass Plus which I have also been unable to find in Canada. We are
also close to the boarder so I bought some when I was last in Vermont. I
looked into shipping to Canada and a case of Glass Plus was about $20 but
the shipping was $150 or so!

We haven't been diluting it, but after the notes on this thread I think we
will now.

Claire

--
Shalin Mehta
Yang, Ann-Fook Yang, Ann-Fook

Re: Glass Cleaner

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

My service engineer said that the best solvent for cleaning an objective is ethanol. He would use 70% alcohol with cotton wool on an applicator stick first; if it does not work 100% alcohol will do the job. We will not look for something else.

I think that 99% ethanol with trace amount of methanol is just as good as absolute ethanol for cleaning purpose; don’t drink it ;-)

Ann Fook