HeLa autofluorescence

Caterina Strambio Caterina Strambio

HeLa autofluorescence

Hi
we want to use adherent cells (ideally HeLa cells) for live imaging of viral
particles traveling to the cell nucleus. We are having a lot of problems
with  autofluorescence in the Green/FITC channel. It is not simply diffuse
autofluorescence but it has a clear morphology: green dots all over the
cytoplasm.

We are growing cells in phenol red free DMEM and it did not help all that much.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help.

Caterina Strambio De Castillia

Istitute of Research in Biomedicine
Bellinzona
Switzerland
David S Moore David S Moore

Re: HeLa autofluorescence

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: HeLa autofluorescence HI Catarina,

Yes, We have experienced the same “phenotype” in HeLa cells – especially when they have been “marginally food deprived” or, more frequently, when using viral transfection systems that may adversly affect cell-health or pH homeostasis. These small particles have a peak absorption ~485nm and emit across a broad peak centered around 525-530nm.

 We found that dropping down to 477nm on our argon-ion line decreased this auto-fluorescence by a factor of 7. -Not enough to eliminate the signal, but enough to greatly attenuate it relative to the tag we were using. We also have another system that uses a 473nm laser (SS) for excitation that minimizes the green auto-fluorescence while still permitting use of a GFP/eGFP tag.

I hope this helps.

David Moore
-------------------------
David S. Moore, M.S., Ph.D.

Director
Microscopy & Analytical Imaging Laboratory
The University of Kansas
1045 Haworth Hall
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas
66045
U.S.A

Office:       785-864-4380
Lab:           785-864-4140
E-mail:      [hidden email]
Fax:          785-864-1815

Switzerland
Sandrine Pouvreau Sandrine Pouvreau

Re: HeLa autofluorescence

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi. I'm not sure wether what I will say is relevant in your case, but I have had problem with autofluorescence in my cells while willing to use the FITC channel. This fluorescence is colocalised with mitochondria. I did a spectrum of it, and it matches with emission spectrum of FAD. This autofluorescence is greater in cells that have been in the dish for a while (probably due to oxidation, FAD is fluorescent in the oxidised state).
I'm not sure that this case apply to your HeLa cells (I never worked with them), but I hope it will be of some help
Best
Sandrine Pouvreau

Rush University
Chicago, Il

Caterina Strambio <[hidden email]>
Sent by: Confocal Microscopy List <[hidden email]>

10/26/2007 08:09 AM

Please respond to
Confocal Microscopy List <[hidden email]>

[hidden email]
cc
Subject
HeLa autofluorescence

Hi
we want to use adherent cells (ideally HeLa cells) for live imaging of viral
particles traveling to the cell nucleus. We are having a lot of problems
with  autofluorescence in the Green/FITC channel. It is not simply diffuse
autofluorescence but it has a clear morphology: green dots all over the
cytoplasm.

We are growing cells in phenol red free DMEM and it did not help all that much.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help.

Caterina Strambio De Castillia

Istitute of Research in Biomedicine
Bellinzona
Switzerland

Caterina Strambio Caterina Strambio

Bartek Rajwa Bartek Rajwa

Re: HeLa autofluorescence

Caterina,

The autofluorescence you are observing is most likely flavin-related.
Check out doi:10.1002/jemt.20497

Rajwa B et al. Single- and two-photon spectral imaging of intrinsic
fluorescence of transformed human hepatocytes.Microsc Res Tech. 2007
Oct;70(10):869-79.

I am afraid there is not much you can do, though. You may manipulate the
redox conditions in the media environment, but it will most likely
affect the overall viability of your cells.

I do not agree with the previous posts stating that using the shorter
wavelength helps. Actually, I was able to see more intense
autofluorescence with 457 excitation than with 488 (for a given level of
excitation power) for a wide range of cells.

There were reports demonstrating that you can reduce the
autofluorescence using media without riboflavin, for instance:

Lowy RJ, Spring KR. Identification of riboflavin transport by MDCK cells
using quantitative fluorescence video microscopy. J Membr Biol. 1990
Jul;117(1):91-9.

However, I was unable to reproduce these results for HepG2. You may try
with HeLa...

Regards,

Bartek

--
Bartlomiej Rajwa, PhD
Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories