Imaging back focal plane of objective

Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Imaging back focal plane of objective

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear all,

 Is there a convenient threaded mount for eye-piece barrel (that replaces the eye-piece) on which we can mount our own camera (consumer grade)? We wish to take images of back focal plane of the objectives for teaching sake and in future analysis sake.
I checked with Olympus engineer and they do not have it. They do have bertrand lens but it has to be mounted and used with one microscope only. It will be good if we could carry around that eye-piece mount and camera. As a last resort, we could get it machined, but just checking if it is available commercially..

Thanks
Best regards,
Shalin

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shalin Mehta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
diaspro1959@katamail.com diaspro1959@katamail.com

More details from Japan to Sicily - a nice spring

Dear friends
immediately after the FOM 2008 in Japan, please fly to Erice, Sicily for a GREAT School (download poster at www.lambs.it).
---- FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT - School will be restricted to 70 students -------
----- INFO: [hidden email] --- SUBJECT: ERICE 2008 - CONFOCAL ------

INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF BIOPHYSICS «ANTONIO BORSELLINO» 36th Course: MULTIDIMENSIONAL OPTICAL FLUORESCENCE MICROSCOPY TOWARDS NANOSCOPY
ERICE–SICILY: 19 – 29 APRIL 2008
Sponsored by the: • Italian Ministry of Education, University and Scientific Research • Sicilian Regional Government, Companies.

LECTURERS
Fluorescence Spectroscopy, GFP Photophysics
• R. BIZZARRI, NEST-INFM, SNS, Pisa, IT;  Optics, Confocal Microscopy, THG • F. BRAKENHOFF, University of Amsterdam, NL;  FRAP, Single particle tracking • K. BRAECKMANS, Ghent University, BE; Single molecule force spectroscopy • J. BRUJIC, New York University, USA;  Fluctuation Microscopies for biological tissues GIUSEPPE CHIRICO, University of Milan-Bicocca, IT; Micro-particle manipulation • D. COJOC, TASC, INFM, Trieste, IT;  SHG, CARS, 2PE • C. COMBS, NIH, Bethesda, USA;  2PE, 3D imaging • A. DIASPRO, University of Genoa, IT;  Micro/Nano Optical Manipulation • E. Di FABRIZIO, Unversity of Catanzaro Magna Graecia, IT;  Raster Image Correlation Spectroscopy, Photon Counting • M. DIGMAN, UC Irvine, USA; High-content screening • M. FARETTA, IFOM-IEO, Milan, IT;  Correlative Microscopy • U. FASCIO, University of Milan, IT;  Fluorescence Lifetime, FRET • H.C. GERRITSEN, Utrecht University, NL; FCS, Global Data Analysis
• E. GRATTON, UC Irvine, USA;  Photonic crystals, nanophotonics • M. GU, Swinburne Univ. of Technology, Victoria, AU;  Time lapse imaging • S. GUIDO, Universit of Naples, IT;  Fluorescence Optical Nanoscopy • S. HELL, MPI, Goettingen, DE;  Scanning Microscopy, Optical aberrations • M. MARTINEZ CORRAL, Univ. of Valencia, ES;  Optical systems, Scanning Microscopy • F. QUERCIOLI,
 CNR-ISC, Florence, IT; 2PE, Fast scanning methods • P. SAGGAU, Baylor College of Med. Houston, Texas, USA;  Correlative Microscopy at cryo-Temperatures • A. SARTORI, Institut Pasteur, Paris, FR;  Light Scattering, FCS applications • P.L. SAN BIAGIO, CNR-IBF, Palermo, IT;  Molecular landscapes by means of AFM • G. SCOLES, Princeton University, USA;  Linear and Non linear Optical Microscopy • C. SHEPPARD, Ntl Univ. of Singapore, Singapore;  Optical Microscopy, 3D imaging, Photonic Forces • E. STELZER, EMBL, Heidelberg, DE;  Laser scissors and tweezers in cell biology • I. TOLIC-NORRELYKKE, MPI, Dresden, DE; Fluorescence imaging in Neuroscience • V. TORRE, SISSA, Trieste, IT; Quantitative colocalization • C. USAI, CNR-IBF, Genoa, IT; Confocal Microscopy, Structured light methods • T. WILSON, University of Oxford, UK;  Photoswitch-activatable fluorescent proteins, Lifetime • F. WOUTERS, Univ. of Goettingen, DE.
--------

---
It was morning, and the new sun sparkled gold across the ripples of a gentle sea... More  than  anything  else Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly...
There's so much to learn! (R.Bach, 1970)
 Alberto Diaspro, MicroScoBIO Research Center, LAMBS-IFOM, Department of Physics, University of Genoa, Via Dodecaneso 33, 16146 Genoa, Italy
   fax +39-010314218 - tel +39-0103536426/480/309; URLs: www.lambs.it; www.biomedical-engineering-online.com/content/5/1/36

SERVIZIO VOICE: TELEFONA e INVIA SMS dal tuo computer a tariffe vantaggiose!
Scopri come telefonare e videochiamare gratis da pc a pc.
http://voice.repubblica.it
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: Imaging back focal plane of objective

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal -
Hi Shalin,

There are typically two ways to observe the BFP: the Bertrand lens, which is inserted in the optical tube, just before the eyepiece, or the phase centering telescope, which replaces the conventional eyepiece:

There are two ways you can capture images with a consumer camera: by using an eyepiece adapter, or by using a trinocular head with a third port with a camera mount. In either case, you can take pictures of the BFP by combining the Bertrand lens and one of the camera adapters.

Microscope manufacturers should have adapters for their microscopes, but there are also people who sell universal adapters, such as here:

In particular, this site reports one such adapter combined with a telescope. This is probably what you need.

At the site below, they report taking conoscopic images of crystals using a phase telescope, probably using a similar adapter

I don't know who else might sell such devices, and/or how easy it would be to manufacture your own...

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

==