MD2001 laser conversion?

Julian Smith III Julian Smith III

MD2001 laser conversion?

Any users of Molecular Dynamics  MD2001's still out there?
   Ours just blew its last Ar/Kr laser.  My dean says "buy a new
confocal", rather than fix this one again  (whoo-hoo!).
   So, while I'm doing the former, anyone care to advise on replacing
the gas laser with solid-state lasers?  This is only a two-channel
instrument, but it gets a lot of undergraduate student use,
especially for single-fluor work.  I'm guessing we could get by with
473nm and 543nm dpss, but I'm off into unknown territory after that.
TIA
Julian
--
Julian P.S. Smith III
Dept. of Biology

803-323-2111 x6427 (vox)
803-323-3448 (fax)
803-524-2347 (cell)
Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: MD2001 laser conversion?

You really need to sit down and examine what dyes get used on a
regular basis in your facility.  Look at the absorption curves of the
dyes you regularly use and check whether or not the available solid
state lasers will work with them.  If they do, then go ahead.  With a
little research and planning its not that big a deal to swap out the
lasers; just make sure they're appropriate for the dyes you are using.

Craig

On 10/2/07, Julian Smith III <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Any users of Molecular Dynamics  MD2001's still out there?
>    Ours just blew its last Ar/Kr laser.  My dean says "buy a new
> confocal", rather than fix this one again  (whoo-hoo!).
>    So, while I'm doing the former, anyone care to advise on replacing
> the gas laser with solid-state lasers?  This is only a two-channel
> instrument, but it gets a lot of undergraduate student use,
> especially for single-fluor work.  I'm guessing we could get by with
> 473nm and 543nm dpss, but I'm off into unknown territory after that.
> TIA
> Julian
> --
> Julian P.S. Smith III
> Dept. of Biology
> Winthrop University
> 520 Cherry Rd.
> Rock Hill, SC  29733
>
> 803-323-2111 x6427 (vox)
> 803-323-3448 (fax)
> 803-524-2347 (cell)

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: MD2001 laser conversion?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal MD2001 laser conversion?
I would guess that changing and realigning dichroics and
filters in such a system could be a hassle, so why not go
with lasers that match your original better - ie 488nm
and 461nm, both available in DPSS.  (The 473 lasers
are, I think, straight blue diodes, not DPSS).  The small
extra cost of these lasers would probably be saved in not
having to fiddle with the dichroics.

                                                                Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
http://www.guycox.net

Stephen Cody Stephen Cody

Blank Block MRC-1024

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Blank Block MRC-1024

G'day List Members,

Does anybody have a "Blank" filter block (not the stupid "Open" block) for a Bio-Rad MRC-1024 that they would be prepared to part with? Alternatively one with filters in it would be fine, if you don't need it. I think the Bio-Rad MRC-1000 filter blocks are compatible too (but not a 600 or 500).

Thanks

Stephen H. Cody

Microscopy Manager

Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research

PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital

Parkville, Victoria,      3050

Australia

Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104

email: [hidden email]

www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html

www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:

www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm

This communication is intended only for the named recipient and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged or subject to copyright; the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research does not waiver any rights if you have received this communication in error.
The views expressed in this communication are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research.