Nikon C1si?

Adrian Smith-6 Adrian Smith-6

Nikon C1si?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

On 16/11/2006, at 12:25 PM, George McNamara wrote:

Jeff Larson of Nikon had a nice write-up of the Nikon C1si spectral confocal head in the August issue of Cytometry. The C1si uses the same PMT array as the Zeiss META, but with (presumably) more clever optics (split polarization states for better throughput, 3 options for bandwidth vs range).

I'm interesting in hearing of people's experience with the Nikon C1si.

I've not seen it discussed much on this list and I don't think there have been any in Australia up until now.

Regards,

Adrian Smith
Centenary Institute, Sydney, Australia

Is there is really no one on this list using a C1si?  (I've had no replies to my previous email).

Regards,

Adrian Smith
Centenary Institute, Sydney, Australia

Jacqueline Ross Jacqueline Ross

Re: Nikon C1si?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Dear Adrian,

I’m sure you will get some replies tomorrow with regard to your enquiry about Nikon C1si. Have you checked the listserver archives?

There was a huge discussion a while ago that was very interesting comparing the Nikon versus the Leica SP2 so there’s plenty to read there.

Cheers,

Jacqui

Jacqueline Ross
Biomedical Imaging Research Unit
School of Medical Sciences
Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

Tel: 64 9 373 7599 Ext 87438
Fax: 64 9 373 7484

http://www.health.auckland.ac.nz/biru/

Adrian Smith-6 Adrian Smith-6

Zucker.Robert Zucker.Robert

Re: Nikon C1si?

We are using the Nikon C1Si at the EPA in North Carolina.
The spectral accuracy of the machine is absolutely excellent . I believe
the company guarantees 1mm accuracy with a 2.5mm band width. We are
getting that accuracy with the machine. .
Upon checking the system with a MIDL lamp  as described  previously (
see references below) we have found excellent spectral accuracy between
400- 725nm.( see references below)
One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and also
with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal microscopes.
In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to make
the spectral system work properly. ,
In my opinion, all confocal spectral system suffer from a lack of
adequate software to analyze the spectral data derived from them. Image
is important  but the spectral data evaluation is critical when using a
spectral system.
It is important to remember that no confocal system is perfect. All
confocal systems have there advantages and disadvantages with regard to
hardware and software. Unfortunately, most of the time one is not aware
of all the limitations of a confocal until the unit is operational in
the laboratory.

These references will be helpful on evaluating spectral systems for
accuracy, reliability,  and reproducibility. They are available as a pdf
file on request.

   Zucker, R.M. Rigby P, Clements I; Salmon W, Chua, P. Reliability of
   Confocal Spectral Imaging Systems: Use of Multispectral Beads.
   Cytometry V71A: 174-189 2007 (COVER)

   Zucker RM  Confocal Slide Based System :Performance. Cytometry  2006
   69 A 659-676..

   Zucker RM Confocal Microscopy Slide Based Systems: Instability.
   Cytometry 2006 69A 677-690.

   Zucker RM and Lerner J:  Wavelength and Alignment tests for Confocal
   Imaging systems Microscopy Research and Technique . 68:5 307-319
   (2005).

   Lerner JL Zucker, R.M.  Calibration and validation of spectroscopic
   imaging: Cytometry 62A:8-34 2004

Bob

Robert M. Zucker, PhD
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Research and Development
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
e-mail: [hidden email]

Mail address: Reproductive Toxicology Division, MD 67
2525 E.NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711

Shipping address: 2525 E.NC Highway 54
Durham, NC, 27713

             Adrian Smith
             <a.smith@CENTENA
             RY.USYD.EDU.AU>                                         To
             Sent by:                 [hidden email]
             Confocal                                                cc
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE                                   Subject
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>          Nikon C1si?

             10/04/2007 12:09
             AM

              Please respond
                 Confocal
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>

[...]

Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Nikon C1si?

I was wondering if you saw this decreased throughput in spectral mode
only, or also in conventional detection mode?  The spectral mode works
with a multi-anode PMT, which has a lower quantum efficiency than a
conventional PMT.  From what I have seen of the design, it also has
the option to use a conventional PMT system with the device, and I am
wondering if you have also tried that mode of operation?

Thanks,

Craig

On 10/4/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and also
> with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
> creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal microscopes.
> In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to make
> the spectral system work properly. ,
Kurt Thorn Kurt Thorn

Re: Nikon C1si?

I run a C1si at the Nikon Imaging Center at UCSF.  We use the spectral
mode relatively infrequently as most of our users are doing
straightforward three color imaging.  We have done some work with the
spectral mode, either for separating dyes with overlapping emission
spectra or for removing autofluorescence.  It seems to perform quite
well in spectral mode, although having accurately measured spectra is
important for good unmixing.  It is also a few fold slower in spectral
mode than conventional (3 PMT) mode.  Regarding the loss in intensity in
spectral mode mentioned by earlier, I would imagine part of this is due
to dividing the total light collected among multiple channels,
decreasing the light collected by each.

In the conventional, 3 PMT mode, where this system gets most of its use,
people like it very much.  The optics are very good and the brightness
and resolution of images have gotten a lot of compliments.

Kurt

--
Kurt Thorn, PhD
Director, Nikon Imaging Center

UCSF MC 2140
Genentech Hall Room S252
600 16th St.
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

http://nic.ucsf.edu
phone 415.514.9709
fax   415.514.4300
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: Nikon C1si?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal -
We do not have a Nikon C1si, so can't answer your question specifically.  If anyone is interested though, I happened to wonder about the nature of the spectral detector, and Hamamatsu has a PMT Model number H7620 which is a 32-PMT array, that I suspect is very similar to the one used in the Zeiss META and possibly the C1si. (Zeiss would not say if this is the case...).  The detectors are 0.8 mm wide, with a center-to-center distance of 1 mm.  Specs can be downloaded from the Hamamatsu web site.

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

==

Loralei Dewe Loralei Dewe

Re: Nikon C1si?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
It is exactly the one used in the C1si...I can't comment on the LSM meta since they do not release their specs...

Lorie

Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell) Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell)

Re: Nikon C1si?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi Julio,
From my understanding, the Zeiss Meta has an 8-detector array, so more than one scan is needed if the desired bandwidth detection is greater than ~135 nm using the finest lamda resolution (10.7 nm).
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Arizona
520-954-7053
FAX 520-621-3709

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: Nikon C1si?

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
No, the Zeiss has a 32-channel detector and I'm pretty sure
it is the same Hamamatsu unit.  It's just that they can only read
out 8 channels at once.  So you need 4 passes to read out all
32 channels.

                                                                          Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
http://www.guycox.net

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Armstrong, Brian Armstrong, Brian

Zeiss META

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

It is my understanding that the Zeiss META uses the Hamamatsu H7260 32 array PMT. If I divulge my source, I will be killed.

Brian D Armstrong PhD

Light Microscopy Core Manager

Beckman Research Institute

City of Hope

1450 E Duarte Rd

Duarte, CA 91010

626-359-8111 x62872

http://www.cityofhope.org/SharedResources/LightMicroscopy

Re: Zeiss META

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Loralei Dewe Loralei Dewe

Re: Zeiss META

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Sorry, didn't actually mean to send anything...darn laptop...

Lorie

Zucker.Robert Zucker.Robert

Re: Nikon C1si?

Craig
The efficiency of detection is much less in the spectral mode due to the
design of the multianode detector. In addition as Kurt Thorn said the
light is split into a number of different bandpass channels instead of
being detected by only one channel which also limits the detection in
each channel.
Nikon compensates for this decreased light by increasing the pixel dwell
time. However photons are photons. With less photons you will get a
noisier image.
The spectral detection of any confocal system using a multianode
detector will not be as good as a PMT designed for good sensitivity and
low light detection. It will produce nosier images but if there is
enough light you will be able to determine a valuable spectrum which can
be used for scientific experiments and to manipulate images. Like
everything with confocal microscopy there is trade-offs and no perfect
system.
Best wishes.
Bob

Robert M. Zucker, PhD
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Research and Development
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
e-mail: [hidden email]

Mail address: Reproductive Toxicology Division, MD 67
2525 E.NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711

Shipping address: 2525 E.NC Highway 54
Durham, NC, 27713

             Craig Brideau
             <craig.brideau@G
             MAIL.COM>                                               To
             Sent by:                 [hidden email]
             Confocal                                                cc
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE                                   Subject
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>          Re: Nikon C1si?

             10/04/2007 02:49
             PM

              Please respond
                 Confocal
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>

I was wondering if you saw this decreased throughput in spectral mode
only, or also in conventional detection mode?  The spectral mode works
with a multi-anode PMT, which has a lower quantum efficiency than a
conventional PMT.  From what I have seen of the design, it also has
the option to use a conventional PMT system with the device, and I am
wondering if you have also tried that mode of operation?

Thanks,

Craig

On 10/4/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and also
> with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
> creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal
microscopes.
> In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to make
> the spectral system work properly. ,
Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Nikon C1si?

Thanks for your input!  As in everything, there's a trade-off.  Still,
for us the spectral data will be worth it.

Craig

On 10/5/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I was wondering if you saw this decreased throughput in spectral mode
> only, or also in conventional detection mode?  The spectral mode works
> with a multi-anode PMT, which has a lower quantum efficiency than a
> conventional PMT.  From what I have seen of the design, it also has
> the option to use a conventional PMT system with the device, and I am
> wondering if you have also tried that mode of operation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> On 10/4/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and also
> > with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
> > creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal
> microscopes.
> > In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to make

Criag
If spectral analysis is the endpoint you may want to consider the PARISS
system from Lightform. ( http://www.lightforminc.com/) that can be
placed on a widefield microscope.
We are using the PARISS system to obtain spectral data --it has 1nm
resolution and has a spectrum from 400-900nm. I find it to be a great
asset in the laboratory,
It is far more sensitive and accurate that any confocal system that I
have seen.

Contact Jeremy Lerner for details on his system.
best wishes
Bob

                                LightForm, Inc.,
                          601 Route 206, Suite 26-479
                             Hillsborough NJ 08844
                               Tel: (908)281 9098
                        Email: [hidden email]

.

Robert M. Zucker, PhD
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Research and Development
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
e-mail: [hidden email]

Mail address: Reproductive Toxicology Division, MD 67
2525 E.NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711

Shipping address: 2525 E.NC Highway 54
Durham, NC, 27713

             Craig Brideau
             <craig.brideau@G
             MAIL.COM>                                               To
             Sent by:                 [hidden email]
             Confocal                                                cc
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE                                   Subject
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>          Re: Nikon C1si?

             10/05/2007 05:48
             PM

              Please respond
                 Confocal
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>

Thanks for your input!  As in everything, there's a trade-off.  Still,
for us the spectral data will be worth it.

Craig

On 10/5/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Craig
> The efficiency of detection is much less in the spectral mode due to
the
> design of the multianode detector. In addition as Kurt Thorn said the
> light is split into a number of different bandpass channels instead of
> being detected by only one channel which also limits the detection in
> each channel.
> Nikon compensates for this decreased light by increasing the pixel
dwell
> time. However photons are photons. With less photons you will get a
> noisier image.
> The spectral detection of any confocal system using a multianode
> detector will not be as good as a PMT designed for good sensitivity
and
> low light detection. It will produce nosier images but if there is
> enough light you will be able to determine a valuable spectrum which
can

> be used for scientific experiments and to manipulate images. Like
> everything with confocal microscopy there is trade-offs and no perfect
> system.
> Best wishes.
> Bob
>
> Robert M. Zucker, PhD
> U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
> Office of Research and Development
> National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
> Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
> e-mail: [hidden email]
>
> Mail address: Reproductive Toxicology Division, MD 67
> 2525 E.NC Highway 54
> Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711
>
> Shipping address: 2525 E.NC Highway 54
> Durham, NC, 27713
>

>              Craig Brideau
>              <craig.brideau@G
>              MAIL.COM>
>              Sent by:                 [hidden email]
>              Confocal
cc
>              Microscopy List
>              <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
Subject

>              RV.BUFFALO.EDU>          Re: Nikon C1si?
>

>              10/04/2007 02:49
>              PM
>

>               Please respond
>                  Confocal
>              Microscopy List
>              <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
>              RV.BUFFALO.EDU>
>

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I was wondering if you saw this decreased throughput in spectral mode
> only, or also in conventional detection mode?  The spectral mode works
> with a multi-anode PMT, which has a lower quantum efficiency than a
> conventional PMT.  From what I have seen of the design, it also has
> the option to use a conventional PMT system with the device, and I am
> wondering if you have also tried that mode of operation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> On 10/4/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and
also
> > with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
> > creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal
> microscopes.
> > In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to
make
> > the spectral system work properly. ,

Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Nikon C1si?

Will this system have the same sort of sensitivity as a multi-anode
PMT system like the C1si?  This PARISS system seems to use a CCD
camera as its detector, which will not be as sensitive, if I
understand correctly?

> [...]

> > I was wondering if you saw this decreased throughput in spectral mode
> > only, or also in conventional detection mode?  The spectral mode works
> > with a multi-anode PMT, which has a lower quantum efficiency than a
> > conventional PMT.  From what I have seen of the design, it also has
> > the option to use a conventional PMT system with the device, and I am
> > wondering if you have also tried that mode of operation?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > On 10/4/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and
> also
> > > with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
> > > creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal
> > microscopes.
> > > In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to

Kurt Thorn Kurt Thorn

Re: Nikon C1si?

In general CCDs are more sensitive that PMTs.  I can't speak to the
sensitivities of the systems here, but a typical PMT has a quantum
efficiency on the order of 10 - 25%, whereas good CCDs have QEs from 60
- 90%.

Kurt

fax   415.514.4300
Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Nikon C1si?

So what's the catch?  Why do people still use PMTs vs. CCDs or EMCCDs?  Cost?

Craig

On 10/5/07, Kurt Thorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Durham, NC, 27713
> >>

> >>              Craig Brideau
> >>              <craig.brideau@G
> >>              MAIL.COM>                                               To
> >>              Sent by:                 [hidden email]
> >>              Confocal                                                cc
> >>              Microscopy List
> >>              <CONFOCAL@LISTSE                                   Subject
> >>              RV.BUFFALO.EDU>          Re: Nikon C1si?
> >>

> >>              10/05/2007 05:48
> >>              PM
> >>

> >>               Please respond
> >>                  Confocal
> >>              Microscopy List
> >>              <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
> >>              RV.BUFFALO.EDU>
> >>

> >> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> >> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
> >>
> >> Thanks for your input!  As in everything, there's a trade-off.  Still,
> >> for us the spectral data will be worth it.

The PARISS system uses a Retiga 2000R cooled CCD camera. It is far more
sensitive and accurate than any confocal microscope.
 You can detect things in that system that can not be observed with a
confocal spectral system.  It is a great system in my opinion.
Bob

Robert M. Zucker, PhD
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Research and Development
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
e-mail: [hidden email]

Mail address: Reproductive Toxicology Division, MD 67
2525 E.NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711

Shipping address: 2525 E.NC Highway 54
Durham, NC, 27713

             Craig Brideau
             <craig.brideau@G
             MAIL.COM>                                               To
             Sent by:                 [hidden email]
             Confocal                                                cc
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE                                   Subject
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>          Re: Nikon C1si?

             10/05/2007 06:19
             PM

              Please respond
                 Confocal
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
             RV.BUFFALO.EDU>

Will this system have the same sort of sensitivity as a multi-anode
PMT system like the C1si?  This PARISS system seems to use a CCD
camera as its detector, which will not be as sensitive, if I
understand correctly?

Craig

On 10/5/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Criag
> If spectral analysis is the endpoint you may want to consider the
PARISS

> system from Lightform. ( http://www.lightforminc.com/) that can be
> placed on a widefield microscope.
> We are using the PARISS system to obtain spectral data --it has 1nm
> resolution and has a spectrum from 400-900nm. I find it to be a great
> asset in the laboratory,
> It is far more sensitive and accurate that any confocal system that I
> have seen.
>
> Contact Jeremy Lerner for details on his system.
> best wishes
> Bob
>

>                                 LightForm, Inc.,
>                           601 Route 206, Suite 26-479
>                              Hillsborough NJ 08844
>                                Tel: (908)281 9098
>                         Email: [hidden email]
>

> .
>
> Robert M. Zucker, PhD
> U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
> Office of Research and Development
> National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
> Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
> e-mail: [hidden email]
>
> Mail address: Reproductive Toxicology Division, MD 67
> 2525 E.NC Highway 54
> Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711
>
> Shipping address: 2525 E.NC Highway 54
> Durham, NC, 27713
>

>              Craig Brideau
>              <craig.brideau@G
>              MAIL.COM>
>              Sent by:                 [hidden email]
>              Confocal
cc
>              Microscopy List
>              <CONFOCAL@LISTSE
Subject

> [...]

> > only, or also in conventional detection mode?  The spectral mode
works
> > with a multi-anode PMT, which has a lower quantum efficiency than a
> > conventional PMT.  From what I have seen of the design, it also has
> > the option to use a conventional PMT system with the device, and I
am

> > wondering if you have also tried that mode of operation?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > On 10/4/07, Robert Zucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > One of the major limitations that we have seen with this unit and
> also
> > > with  the Zeiss meta 510 is the decreased light throughput . This
> > > creates images that are noisier than conventional confocal
> > microscopes.
> > > In our hands it appears you will need to have a bright sample to

12