Self-quenching

Marc Thibault Marc Thibault

Self-quenching

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty finding information on the mechanisms behind fluorescence self-quenching. Why when packed together, molecules stop emitting light ?
Do they relax via collisional or heat transfer, but why this change ? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Marc Thibault, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Fellow
NSERC/Biosynthech Chair in Hybrid Biomaterials
for Innovative Regenerative Technologies
Department of Chemical Engineering
Ecole Polytechnique
Montreal, Qc, Canada
514 340 4711 (4781)

Jurriaan Zwier Jurriaan Zwier

Re: Self-quenching

Hi Marc,

One of the mechanisms involves so called excimer-formation or
excited-state dimer formation. When one excited molecule encounters its
counterpart it can form a more stable excited state. This state can
fluoresce itself (at a longer wavelength then the monomer) or be quenched
through different pathways then the monomer. Because the energy of this
excimer is lower then the monomer excited state quenching pathways are
usually more available for the excimer, hence an overall decrease of
fluorescence intensity. A famous example of excimer fluoresence is the
pyrene excimer (page 9 Lakowicz)

Hope this helps a bit,

Jurriaan

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having difficulty finding information on the mechanisms behind
> fluorescence self-quenching. Why when packed together, molecules stop
> emitting light ?
> Do they relax via collisional or heat transfer, but why this change ? Any
> info will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc Thibault, Ph.D.
>
> Postdoctoral Fellow
> NSERC/Biosynthech Chair in Hybrid Biomaterials
> for Innovative Regenerative Technologies
> Department of Chemical Engineering
> Ecole Polytechnique
> Montreal, Qc, Canada
> 514 340 4711 (4781)

Johnson, Iain Johnson, Iain

Re: Self-quenching

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

The explanation of fluorescence self-quenching is derived from the theory of molecular excitonic interactions developed by Michael Kasha and others in the 1960s (e-mail me offline if you want some specific references to this).  When the separation of two fluorophores gets down to the level of molecular dimensions (~1 nm), their electronic configurations are no longer separate.  The electronic excited states of the monomers merge to form two new excited states, one at higher energy and one at lower energy relative to the original monomer excited state.  The energy difference between the two new excited states is referred to as “excitonic splitting”.  The two excitonic states represent constructive and destructive combinations of the original monomer state wavefunctions.  The molecular geometry of the interaction is critical.  The most common case is a face-to-face interaction of the fluorophores, known as an H-dimer.  In this case, the absorption transition from the ground state to the lower excitonic excited state is forbidden (i.e. has essentially zero probability of occurrence).  Absorption to the higher excitonic state is allowed.  Thus a new absorption band is observed at higher energy (shorter wavelength) relative to the monomer absorption band.  This is the spectroscopic manifestation of these interactions classically observed for (but not exclusive to) rhodamine dyes.  The upper excitonic state rapidly vibrationally relaxes (i.e energy lost as heat) to the lower excitonic state.  From there, radiative transition (fluorescence) back to the ground state from the lower excitonic state is forbidden (just as in the absorption case).  Instead, the energy is lost via nonradiative internal conversion (heat) back to the ground state or via intersystem crossing to the triplet state.  Increased rates of intersystem crossing for H-dimers compared to monomers have been determined experimentally, at least for cyanine dyes.  This represents a spectroscopic “double whammy”, since not only do you lose fluorescence but you get increased triplet state generation with all its accompanying photodamage liabilities.

The H-dimer is not the only molecular configuration possible (although it is the most common).  The opposite extreme is a head-to-tail arrangement (J-dimer).  For J-dimers, the selection rules for transitions between the ground state and the excitonic states are reversed so absorption shifts to longer wavelengths relative to the monomer and fluorescence is observed originating from the lower exitonic state.  The classic example of this is the cyanine dye JC-1, widely used as a mitochondrial potential sensor.

Iain Johnson

Molecular Probes/Invitrogen