Sources for fluorescent probes

Alex Valm Alex Valm

Sources for fluorescent probes

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Hi Folks,

I am in need of a comprehensive list of vendors, large  and small, of fluorescent probes. At this time I am particularly interested in fluorophores which can be conjugated directly to oligonucleotides for FISH.  I am also in need of the same kind of list of companies that perform custom oligonucleotide synthesis and conjugation.  Can anyone provide a source for these lists?

If none are available I would be prepared to start a list. Therefore if you are a researcher who buys fluorophores or oligonucleotides, would you be willing to offer recommendations for sources?  If you are a vendor, I would love to hear from you, as well.  If people are interested I am happy to share this with the confocal list.

I’ll start this list off with Molecular Probes/Invitrogen, Carlsbad, CA (www.probes.com).

Best Regards,

Alex

_____________________________________

Alex Valm
Graduate Student
IMD/ADLC
The Marine Biological Laboratory
7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA  02543, USA

cromey cromey

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

Alex,

While this list isn't specific to fluorescent probes, it is a pretty
comprehensive list antibody manufacturers, See:

Nature 447:745-745 (7 June 2007)

If you have institutional access to this journal, a direct link to the
PDF is here:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v447/n7145/pdf/447745a.pdf

Doug

Alex Valm wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am in need of a comprehensive list of vendors, large  and small, of
> fluorescent probes. At this time I am particularly interested in
> fluorophores which can be conjugated directly to oligonucleotides for
> FISH.  I am also in need of the same kind of list of companies that
> perform custom oligonucleotide synthesis and conjugation.  Can anyone
> provide a source for these lists?
>
> If none are available I would be prepared to start a list. Therefore
> if you are a researcher who buys fluorophores or oligonucleotides,
> would you be willing to offer recommendations for sources?  If you are
> a vendor, I would love to hear from you, as well.  If people are
> interested I am happy to share this with the confocal list.
>
> I’ll start this list off with Molecular Probes/Invitrogen, Carlsbad,
> CA (www.probes.com <http://www.probes.com>).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex
>
> _____________________________________
>
> Alex Valm
> Graduate Student
> IMD/ADLC
> The Marine Biological Laboratory
> 7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA  02543, USA

Douglas W. Cromey, M.S. - Assistant Scientific Investigator
Dept. of Cell Biology & Anatomy, University of Arizona
1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ  85724-5044 USA

office:  AHSC 4212         email: [hidden email]
voice:  520-626-2824       fax:  520-626-2097

http://swehsc.pharmacy.arizona.edu/exppath/
Home of: "Microscopy and Imaging Resources on the WWW"
Craig Brideau Craig Brideau

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

A company called Visen Medical makes some very interesting Near-IR
dyes.  You pump them with red light, they emit NIR.  They penetrate
tissue extremely well, but of course you need the filters and
detectors capable of detecting NIR light.

Craig

On 9/26/07, Alex Valm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am in need of a comprehensive list of vendors, large  and small, of
> fluorescent probes. At this time I am particularly interested in
> fluorophores which can be conjugated directly to oligonucleotides for FISH.
> I am also in need of the same kind of list of companies that perform custom
> oligonucleotide synthesis and conjugation.  Can anyone provide a source for
> these lists?
>
> If none are available I would be prepared to start a list. Therefore if you
> are a researcher who buys fluorophores or oligonucleotides, would you be
> willing to offer recommendations for sources?  If you are a vendor, I would
> love to hear from you, as well.  If people are interested I am happy to
> share this with the confocal list.
>
> I'll start this list off with Molecular Probes/Invitrogen, Carlsbad, CA
> (www.probes.com).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex
>
> _____________________________________
> Alex Valm
> Graduate Student
> IMD/ADLC
> The Marine Biological Laboratory
> 7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA  02543, USA
> [hidden email]

Barbara Foster Barbara Foster

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear Listers,

The NIR has been a long neglected but useful part of the spectrum.  In the early days, I had a chance to work with the PolyVar InfraPol from Reichert-Jung (aka, American Optical/Cambridge Instruments/now Leica).  It turns out that most microscope objectives have good to excellent transmission properties throughout this spectral range, usually to about 2200nm (NIR is often done in the 1100-1300 range).  The big challenge is the camera.  If a heat absorbing filter has been added, it will absorb everything beyond about 800, so it is worthwhile discussing the chip's responsiveness with your camera provider.  Ditto for the filters in your fluorescence cube.  Both the microscope and the filter manufacturers can provide cube sets to optimize transmission in this area.

One other caveat.  Remember that there is a wavelength component in Rayleigh's resolution equation. Although not often discussed, because resolution is based on diffraction, this equation not only determines how small a feature you will be able to resolve, but also edge fidelity, so don't expect the same level of image sharpness in the NIR as you enjoy in the visible range of the spectrum.  Fluorescence is more detection limited than diffraction limited, but this factor still affects image quality.

Hope this was helpful,
Best regards,
Barbara Foster, President

We've moved!
Microscopy/Microscopy Education
7101 Royal Glen Trail, Suite A
McKinney TX 75070
P: (972)924-5310
Skype: fostermme
W: www.MicroscopyEducation.com

MME is now scheduling customized, on-site courses through December.  Call us today for details.

P. S.
Need a good general reference or light microscopy text for next semester? Call us today to learn more about "Optimizing LIght Microscopy".  Copies still available through MME... even for class-room lots ... and we give quantity discounts. Just email Ken Piel here in the MME office for details ([hidden email]).

At 01:14 PM 9/26/2007, Craig Brideau wrote:

A company called Visen Medical makes some very interesting Near-IR
dyes.  You pump them with red light, they emit NIR.  They penetrate
tissue extremely well, but of course you need the filters and
detectors capable of detecting NIR light.

Craig

On 9/26/07, Alex Valm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am in need of a comprehensive list of vendors, large  and small, of
> fluorescent probes. At this time I am particularly interested in
> fluorophores which can be conjugated directly to oligonucleotides for FISH.
> I am also in need of the same kind of list of companies that perform custom
> oligonucleotide synthesis and conjugation.  Can anyone provide a source for
> these lists?
>
> If none are available I would be prepared to start a list. Therefore if you
> are a researcher who buys fluorophores or oligonucleotides, would you be
> willing to offer recommendations for sources?  If you are a vendor, I would
> love to hear from you, as well.  If people are interested I am happy to
> share this with the confocal list.
>
> I'll start this list off with Molecular Probes/Invitrogen, Carlsbad, CA
> (www.probes.com ).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex
>
> _____________________________________
> Alex Valm
> Graduate Student
> IMD/ADLC
> The Marine Biological Laboratory
> 7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA  02543, USA
> [hidden email]

George McNamara George McNamara

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

The Visen dyes are rebranded Alexa Fluor ###'s.

At 01:04 PM 9/26/2007, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>A company called Visen Medical makes some very interesting Near-IR
>dyes.  You pump them with red light, they emit NIR.  They penetrate
>tissue extremely well, but of course you need the filters and
>detectors capable of detecting NIR light.
>
>Craig
>
>On 9/26/07, Alex Valm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> > http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
> >

> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I am in need of a comprehensive list of vendors, large  and small, of
> > fluorescent probes. At this time I am particularly interested in
> > fluorophores which can be conjugated directly to oligonucleotides for FISH.
> > I am also in need of the same kind of list of companies that perform custom
> > oligonucleotide synthesis and conjugation.  Can anyone provide a source for
> > these lists?
> >
> > If none are available I would be prepared to start a list. Therefore if you
> > are a researcher who buys fluorophores or oligonucleotides, would you be
> > willing to offer recommendations for sources?  If you are a vendor, I would
> > love to hear from you, as well.  If people are interested I am happy to
> > share this with the confocal list.
> >
> > I'll start this list off with Molecular Probes/Invitrogen, Carlsbad, CA
> > (www.probes.com).
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > _____________________________________
> > Alex Valm
> > Graduate Student
> > IMD/ADLC
> > The Marine Biological Laboratory
> > 7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA  02543, USA
> > [hidden email]

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
305-243-8436 office

One of the columns in McNamara 2007 Fluorophore Data Tables  (if the web link does not work in your email, you can go to http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/ and download it from there) has the manufacturer name or web link. Copy the column to a new Excel sheet, sort, get rid of duplicates.

As for labeling oligo's, check out http://www.biosearchtech.com/products/display.asp?catID=40 and http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Brands/Sigma_Genosys/Custom_DNA/Product_Lines/Fluorescent_Oligos.html

At 12:13 PM 9/26/2007, you wrote:
[...]

rjpalmer rjpalmer

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

Just out of curiosity, why would MP/Invitrogen allow "rebranding" of
such successful patented products?

--
Robert J. Palmer Jr., Ph.D.
Natl Inst Dental Craniofacial Res - Natl Insts Health
fax 301-402-0396
David Barnes-2 David Barnes-2

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Barbara, you must remember when John Bogan of QImaging introduced the QICAMIR, now the RoleraXR, esp. designed for NIR work. Plus many (most) high end Sony 285 cameras have a high QE mode, which shifts the sensitivity spectrum toward the red range. I know of one lab in Pittsburgh which routinely images at 1000nm with a QImaging camera.

Search the CONFOCAL archive at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank"> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

W: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.microscopyeducation.com/" target="_blank">www.MicroscopyEducation.com

MME is now scheduling customized, on-site courses through December.  Call us today for details.

P. S.
Need a good general reference or light microscopy text for next semester? Call us today to learn more about "Optimizing LIght Microscopy".  Copies still available through MME... even for class-room lots ... and we give quantity discounts. Just email Ken Piel here in the MME office for details ( [hidden email]).

At 01:14 PM 9/26/2007, Craig Brideau wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

A company called Visen Medical makes some very interesting Near-IR
dyes.  You pump them with red light, they emit NIR.  They penetrate
tissue extremely well, but of course you need the filters and
detectors capable of detecting NIR light.

Craig

On 9/26/07, Alex Valm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal" target="_blank">http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am in need of a comprehensive list of vendors, large  and small, of
> fluorescent probes. At this time I am particularly interested in
> fluorophores which can be conjugated directly to oligonucleotides for FISH.
> I am also in need of the same kind of list of companies that perform custom
> oligonucleotide synthesis and conjugation.  Can anyone provide a source for
> these lists?
>
> If none are available I would be prepared to start a list. Therefore if you
> are a researcher who buys fluorophores or oligonucleotides, would you be
> willing to offer recommendations for sources?  If you are a vendor, I would
> love to hear from you, as well.  If people are interested I am happy to
> share this with the confocal list.
>
> I'll start this list off with Molecular Probes/Invitrogen, Carlsbad, CA
> (<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.probes.com/" target="_blank"> www.probes.com ).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex
>
> _____________________________________
> Alex Valm
> Graduate Student
> IMD/ADLC
> The Marine Biological Laboratory
> 7 MBL St., Woods Hole, MA  02543, USA
> [hidden email]

Jos de Lange Jos de Lange

Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

I believe that there is some misinformation.
VisEn Medical probes are proprietary molecules and they have developed many
of the dyes in-house.

Jos

             "Robert J. Palmer
             Jr."
             <[hidden email]                                          To
             CR.NIH.GOV>               [hidden email]
             Sent by: Confocal                                          cc
             Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSER                                     Subject
             V.BUFFALO.EDU>            Re: Sources for fluorescent probes

             09/27/2007 08:05
             PM

             Please respond to
                 Confocal
              Microscopy List
             <CONFOCAL@LISTSER
              V.BUFFALO.EDU>

--
Robert J. Palmer Jr., Ph.D.
Natl Inst Dental Craniofacial Res - Natl Insts Health
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch
Bldg 30, Room 310
30 Convent Drive
Bethesda MD 20892
ph 301-594-0025
fax 301-402-0396
Carol Bayles Carol Bayles

NERLSCD - Regional Core Directors Meeting on Nov. 7-9, 2007

Dear Core Directors and Managers,

We would like to invite you to the second annual "Northeast Regional
Life Sciences Core Directors" (NERLSCD) meeting, Nov. 7-9, 2007, at
Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.  This is a networking meeting for
core directors and managers in the northeastern area of the United
States.

There will be a reception on the evening of Wednesday, Nov. 7th,
followed by a two day meeting from Thursday to Friday.  The meeting
will include plenary presentations of general interest to all core
directors, a poster session (the posters will describe the activities
and services provided by the core facilities of the participants),
and roundtable discussion sessions on DNA Sequencing, Genotyping,
Microarrays, Quantitative PCR, Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry,
Protein Production and Characterization, Flow Cytometry, Optical
Imaging, Transgenics, Outreach, and Bioinformatics and Bio-IT.

For more information and registration, please go to
http://nerlscd.biotech.cornell.edu.  Registration to this meeting
will be limited, so please register soon.

We look forward to seeing you at the meeting!

The Organizing Committee of the NERLSCD 2007 meeting, including
George Grills (Cornell University), Michelle Detwiler (Roswell Park
Cancer Institute), Tim Hunter (University of Vermont), Stephen Bobin
(Dartmouth Medical Center), Katia Sol-Church (NCC-Delaware), Robert
Keefe (Wadsworth Center/NYS DOH), Scottie Adams (Trudeau Institute),
and Ted Thannhauser (USDA-ARS).
--
Carol Bayles, Manager

Confocal and Multiphoton Microscopy