Unmasking spherical aberration

Farid Jalali Farid Jalali

Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hello All,
I have what may be an amateurish question, but I have noticed something very strange today with my Olympus IX81 DSU spinning disk confocal. While acquiring a 3D stack with a PlanApo60X1.42NA objective with disk in place, intra-nuclear structures (foci of gamma-H2AX, 0.4-1.5um in diameter) appeared to become blurred and no longer in focus at a certain point in the acquisition. I did not notice anything odd while looking through the eyepiece. The same field of view, when imaged in widefield appeared normal. Maximum intensity projection of the confocal stack resulted in blurred foci, whereas the widefield MIP resulted in punctate, bright foci. X-Z orthogonal planes from the confocal stack showed a positive spherical aberration, but the widefield did not show anything marked.

Can confocal imaging un-mask spherical aberration that may otherwise be obscured by widefield illumination?

I am at a loss and would appreciate any feedback. I have a powerpoint that I prepared for the folks at Olympus if my question/concern is not very clear.

Thanks alot to the group for considering my question.
Cheers
Farid

--
Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
416-581-7791 STTARR Micrroscopy Suite
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal -
Hi Farid,

I am not familiar with that particular instrument, or spinning disk units in general, but I would be surprised that the disk by itself would generate spherical aberration, especially suddenly out of the blue. How positive are you that what you are seeing is spherical aberration? What is the overall image quality (e.g. signal to noise, sharpness in the x,y plane, etc..) when you slide the DSU in?  Does the effect appear only when you are focusing at a certain depth or is it always there? Do you see the effect with other lenses? Is it sample dependent? Is this a new problem that just appeared or did you see it in the past (and if so, under what conditions)?

If the stacks you collect without the DSU look good, my inclination would be to think there is a mechanical or electronic problem with the DSU...  I would shut down and reinitialize the instrument. Then, I would collect a couple of sample stacks with a nice test slide, with and without DSU. If the problem persists,  I would contact the vendor and show them the test images. This might require a service visit.

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Tel: Office: 206-667-1215/ Lab: 206-667-4205
FAX: 206-667-6845

DISCLAIMER:

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender then delete this message.

On Dec 4, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Farid Jalali wrote:

[...]

James Pawley James Pawley

Re: Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi Farid,

You speak of making a z-stack but don't mention how far it goes into the water. You are using an oil lens and presumably looking into an aqueous specimen. If the illumination fills the BFP of the 1.42 objective, you should expect to get severe SA only few microns into the water. Again, if the BFP is filled, all the light entering it at positions and angles that correspond to great than about NA 1.3 will be TIR and will make the signal from fluorescent markers located near the coverslip very much brighter. As you focus into the water therefore, you will not only have no TIRF light to enhance the brightness of the signal from fluorophors located near the interface, you will lose signal rapidly from SA.

I am guessing that you don't notice this SA when viewing in widefield because the image you see is dominated by this near interface signal that doesn't have much SA (because is it near the interface).

I suggest that you either use a water objective or look at cells made out of oil.

Cheers,

Jim P.

Prof. James B. Pawley,                                          Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,            FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706           [hidden email]
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 14-26, 2008, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/                         Applications due by March 15, 2008
"If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.

Farid Jalali Farid Jalali

Re: Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi Jim,
Thanks to you and the rest of the responders. All very good suggestions and comments.

I am looking at fixed cells grown on No 1.5 coverslips, mounted in Vectashield. Granted there is an RI mismatch between the Vectashield (RI 1.47 or so) and the immersion oil I am using (1.5156), it is not as severe as if I was looking into an aqueous media. Now if I did that after the Pawley course, well that would be scandalous (smile!). The cells are grown on the coverslip, and the cells are maybe 5-10um thick depending on cell cycle phase. I typically image at 0.25um steps, taking 80 images to generate the stack.

I have imaged 200nm PSF beads and seen them to be generally symmetrical through Z, using this same objective, same Z step interval and number of slices. This bead is not the same as a cell obviously, but above all, it is something that I have not come across since we got this instrument 18 months ago. I have spent countless hours imaging with this objective and have all of a sudden encountered this problem. The point re. why I don't see the blurring of the max intensity projection makes sense. Olympus is going to follow-up on this matter and has pointed to making sure that the disk is on the correct focal plane.

Thanks again to all for your helpful and insightful replies.
Cheers
Farid
On Dec 5, 2007 5:58 PM, Jim Pawley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Tully Chris Tully

Re: Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Farid,

Vectashield sounds like an almost perfect RI match for glycerin (1.47399 according to Dow Chemical: http://www.dow.com/glycerine/resources/table12_81100.htm ).  I would suggest that you contact your microscope sales person about getting a glycerin immersion lens to try out for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

Chris Tully
Applications Engineer
Vashaw Scientific Inc.
http://www.vashaw.com
http://www.leica-microsystems.com
[hidden email]

Stephen Cody Stephen Cody

Re: Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

G’day Farid,

I wouldn’t say that confocal ‘unmasks spherical abberation’, but in a fashion you are right. Confocal microscopy is highly susceptible to spherical aberration. Unless you are using reflection microscopy, the pinhole (slits in the case of the DSU) will reject the infocus signal, and out-of-focus blurr will come through. Because of this there will be a dramatic drop of intensity of the signal with increasing depth into the specimen.

The spherical aberration is no different in widefield microscopy, its just that there is no pinhole, so all the signal reaches your eye. You say the PSF with a bead looked OK, but confocal loses performance dramatically at depth with only a slight aberration. So I wouldn’t rule out this as being an effect of Refractive Index mis-match. If it is not possible to remove the RI-mismatch altogether (as other people have suggested), on a point scanner confocal I would suggest opening up the pinhole a little. On the DSU I presume you could use an alternative disk with wider slits as a compromise.

Cheers

Stephen H. Cody
Microscopy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research

PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
Victoria,      3050
Australia
Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
email: [hidden email]
www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm

[...]

This communication is intended only for the named recipient and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged or subject to copyright; the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research does not waiver any rights if you have received this communication in error.
The views expressed in this communication are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research.

Farid Jalali Farid Jalali

Re: Unmasking spherical aberration

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Well the saga of my Olympus IX81 DSU going astray has come to an end. Seems the disk was out of alignment; not exactly sure if this speaks to the disk itself or the mechanism that holds and houses it. The Olympus guys were here yesterday and sorted it out. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that we are switching between disk 3 and 4, as we switch between 60X and 100X objectives.

Thanks to the group for thought provoking comments and helpful ideas.

Best to All.
Happy Holidays.
Farid

--
Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
Dr. Robert Bristow Lab
Applied Molecular Oncology
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto, Canada
416-946-4501 X4351 (Princess Margaret Hospital)
416-581-7754 STTARR at MaRS Building
416-581-7791 STTARR Microscopy Suite