combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Xinyu Zhao-2 Xinyu Zhao-2

combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Dear listers,

One of our users wanted to image CFP and YFP labeled cells and would like to
add a third fluorecence protein reporter later. I was wondering if anybody
could make a recomendation on this third one.

Anybody has ever used a  CFP/YFP/mCherry combination ?

Thank you very much.

Xinyu Zhao
Biomedical Imaging Core Lab
School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
Tel:  215-898-6730
Sam's Mail Sam's Mail

Do I hear 4? was: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

We and many others have successfully used the combination of
Cerulean(CFP)/Venus(YFP)/mCherry when we have needed three genetically
encoded fluorescent proteins.

Anyone care to comment on successes using four?

--
Samuel A. Connell
Director of Light Microscopy

Tel:  215-898-6730
Stephen Bunnell Stephen Bunnell

Re: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Dear Xinyu,

    We have had good luck with that combination, as well as
mCerulean/mYFP/mCherry and mCerulean/mYFP/mStrawberry. Both of the latter
sets work well on our fixed dichroic Ultraview spinning disk system, which
has a custom built quad-pass dichroic that we acquired from Chroma. We have
no detectable bleedthough between these three channels using 442/514/568 nm
laser lines for excitation. By the book, Cherry looks like it should be
brighter and more stable, but Strawberry 'fits' our existing filter sets
(based on DsRed) much better.

    I had expected that mVenus should be much better that YFP, but in my
hands (and filter sets) it did not offer any significant advantages. It
actually bleached _faster_ than mYFP under constant 514nm illumination.

    Best regards,

    -Steve

Stephen C. Bunnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Tufts University Medical School
Department of Pathology
Jaharis Bldg., Room 512
150 Harrison Ave.
Boston, MA 02111

Phone: (617) 636-2174
Fax:   (617) 636-2990
Email: [hidden email]

On 11/8/07 10:06 AM, "Xinyu Zhao" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear listers,
>
> One of our users wanted to image CFP and YFP labeled cells and would like to
> add a third fluorecence protein reporter later. I was wondering if anybody
> could make a recomendation on this third one.
>
> Anybody has ever used a  CFP/YFP/mCherry combination ?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> Xinyu Zhao
> Biomedical Imaging Core Lab
> School of Medicine
> University of Pennsylvania
> Tel:  215-898-6730
Catherine Degnin Catherine Degnin

Re: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Do you have suggestions on the best way to fix cells expressing
mCherry-tagged proteins?  I get gorgeous images using live cells, but
I lose a lot of signal using a fixation protocol that works
beautifully with eGFP and YFP...

Thanks,
Catherine

On Nov 8, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Stephen Bunnell wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear Xinyu,
>
>     We have had good luck with that combination, as well as
> mCerulean/mYFP/mCherry and mCerulean/mYFP/mStrawberry. Both of the
> latter
> sets work well on our fixed dichroic Ultraview spinning disk
> system, which
> has a custom built quad-pass dichroic that we acquired from Chroma.
> We have
> no detectable bleedthough between these three channels using
> 442/514/568 nm
> laser lines for excitation. By the book, Cherry looks like it
> should be
> brighter and more stable, but Strawberry 'fits' our existing filter
> sets
> (based on DsRed) much better.
>
>     I had expected that mVenus should be much better that YFP, but
> in my
> hands (and filter sets) it did not offer any significant
> advantages. It
> actually bleached _faster_ than mYFP under constant 514nm
> illumination.
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     -Steve

> ******
> Stephen C. Bunnell, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Tufts University Medical School
> Department of Pathology
> Jaharis Bldg., Room 512
> 150 Harrison Ave.
> Boston, MA 02111
>
> Phone: (617) 636-2174
> Fax:   (617) 636-2990
> Email: [hidden email]
>

> On 11/8/07 10:06 AM, "Xinyu Zhao" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>> Dear listers,
>>
>> One of our users wanted to image CFP and YFP labeled cells and
>> would like to
>> add a third fluorecence protein reporter later. I was wondering if
>> anybody
>> could make a recomendation on this third one.
>>
>> Anybody has ever used a  CFP/YFP/mCherry combination ?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>

>> Xinyu Zhao
>> Biomedical Imaging Core Lab
>> School of Medicine
>> University of Pennsylvania
>> Tel:  215-898-6730
Michael Schell Michael Schell

Re: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Catherine,

We observe the same decrease in mCherry fluorescence following standard 4% PFA fixation.  One solution is to stain with an antibody to RFPs.  We've been using a polyclonal from Rockland with excellent results.  Works with mCherry and tdTomato.  No x-reaction with GFP variants.  No commercial interest.

Michael

Michael J. Schell, Ph.D
Assist. Professor
Dept. of Pharmacology
Uniformed Services University
4301 Jones Bridge Rd.
Bethesda, MD  20814-3220
tel:  (301) 295-3249
On Nov 8, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Catherine Degnin wrote:

[...]

George McNamara George McNamara

Re: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

If your microscope can image Cy5 well, try mKate from www.evrogen.com

At 10:06 AM 11/8/2007, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Dear listers,
>
>One of our users wanted to image CFP and YFP labeled cells and would like to
>add a third fluorecence protein reporter later. I was wondering if anybody
>could make a recomendation on this third one.
>
>Anybody has ever used a  CFP/YFP/mCherry combination ?
>
>Thank you very much.
>

>Xinyu Zhao
>Biomedical Imaging Core Lab
>School of Medicine
>University of Pennsylvania
>Tel:  215-898-6730

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
305-243-8436 office
http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara/
http://www.sylvester.org/health_pro/shared_resources/index.asp (see
Analytical Imaging Core Facility)
Adrian Smith-6 Adrian Smith-6

Re: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Note - evrogen are selling mKate as "TagFP635" (took me a while to
spot that).

Also, isn't it somewhat shorter than Cy5? (mKate = excitation max 588,
emission max 635)

Regards,

Adrian Smith
Centenary Institute, Sydney, Australia

On 12/11/2007, at 1:13 AM, George McNamara wrote:

> If your microscope can image Cy5 well, try mKate from www.evrogen.com
>

> At 10:06 AM 11/8/2007, you wrote:
>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>> Dear listers,
>>
>> One of our users wanted to image CFP and YFP labeled cells and
>> would like to
>> add a third fluorecence protein reporter later. I was wondering if
>> anybody
>> could make a recomendation on this third one.
>>
>> Anybody has ever used a  CFP/YFP/mCherry combination ?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>

>> Xinyu Zhao
>> Biomedical Imaging Core Lab
>> School of Medicine
>> University of Pennsylvania
>> Tel:  215-898-6730
>

> George McNamara, Ph.D.
> University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
> Image Core
> Miami, FL 33010
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> 305-243-8436 office
> http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
> http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara/
> http://www.sylvester.org/health_pro/shared_resources/index.asp (see
> Analytical Imaging Core Facility)
Brain Jones Brain Jones

Confocal Purchase...

Adrian,

I see we have a tender now in process - you were building an RFP, did the situation change on your end?

We will proceed to submit the tender naturally but just wanted to touch base with you.

Kind Regards,
Brian

Brian Jones
Business Manager
Micro-Imaging Systems Group
Precision Instruments Division
Australia & New Zealand

Tel: +61 03 9265 5419
Mobil 0437 848 180

Adrian Smith <[hidden email]>
Sent by: Confocal Microscopy List <[hidden email]>

12/11/2007 09:43 AM

Please respond to
Confocal Microscopy List <[hidden email]>

[hidden email]
cc
Subject
Re: combination of 3 fluorescence protein reporters

Note - evrogen are selling mKate as "TagFP635" (took me a while to
spot that).

Also, isn't it somewhat shorter than Cy5? (mKate = excitation max 588,
emission max 635)

Regards,

Adrian Smith
Centenary Institute, Sydney, Australia

On 12/11/2007, at 1:13 AM, George McNamara wrote:

> If your microscope can image Cy5 well, try mKate from www.evrogen.com
>

> At 10:06 AM 11/8/2007, you wrote:
>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>> Dear listers,
>>
>> One of our users wanted to image CFP and YFP labeled cells and
>> would like to
>> add a third fluorecence protein reporter later. I was wondering if
>> anybody
>> could make a recomendation on this third one.
>>
>> Anybody has ever used a  CFP/YFP/mCherry combination ?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>

>> Xinyu Zhao
>> Biomedical Imaging Core Lab
>> School of Medicine
>> University of Pennsylvania
>> Tel:  215-898-6730
>

> George McNamara, Ph.D.
> University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
> Image Core
> Miami, FL 33010
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> 305-243-8436 office
> http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
> http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara/
> http://www.sylvester.org/health_pro/shared_resources/index.asp (see
> Analytical Imaging Core Facility)
This message is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited

This message is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
Adrian Smith-6 Adrian Smith-6

Re: Confocal Purchase...

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi Brian,

Yes - the procurement situation changed here due to several factors and as a result it was decided that we should use the University process for the confocal purchase.

From a technical point of view our requirements are as we have been discussing (and as I hope are captured in the tender documentation).

Regards,

Adrian