enclosure heater

Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell) Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell)

enclosure heater

Dear all,
As a finer point to the discussion of stage/microscope heater systems, can
folks give me an idea of where to find just a heater and thermostat
controller for an existing enclosure?  I have searched high and low for a
recently mentioned heater for incubating eggs, and have come up
empty-handed.  Everything I've seen comes as complete units, so components
are not mentioned.  The presumption is that once the desired tempurature is
reached, it can be maintained within ± 0.5 degrees or less.

Thanks very much,
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Arizona
520-954-7053
FAX 520-621-3709
Glen MacDonald-2 Glen MacDonald-2

Re: enclosure heater

Dear Carl,
We built one (actually I asked someone else to build it) using a
proportional controller (Omega CN370, $225).  The actual heater is
the element from a hair dryer mounted in 3" PVC sewer pipe lined with
kaolin batting.  A salvaged 3" computer fan provides the flow.  A
rectifier was added that can be switched in and out of the power
circuit to control how much heat is generated.  A thermistor to the
PID controller provides feedback to the controller.    Its been
working for about 4 years now, with light use.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156
[hidden email]

******
The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******

On Dec 17, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Carl Boswell wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear all,
> As a finer point to the discussion of stage/microscope heater
> systems, can folks give me an idea of where to find just a heater
> and thermostat controller for an existing enclosure?  I have
> searched high and low for a recently mentioned heater for
> incubating eggs, and have come up empty-handed.  Everything I've
> seen comes as complete units, so components are not mentioned.  The
> presumption is that once the desired tempurature is reached, it can
> be maintained within ± 0.5 degrees or less.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Carl
>
> Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
> Molecular and Cellular Biology
> University of Arizona
> 520-954-7053
> FAX 520-621-3709
Xuejun Sun Xuejun Sun

Re: enclosure heater

We have been using WPI one for a year now and happy with it.

http://www.wpiinc.com/products/microscopy/airtherms/

Good luck!

Xuejun

PS: no commercial interests, etc.

Xue-jun Sun, Ph.D.
Dept. Exp. Oncology
Cross Cancer Institute
11560 University Ave,
Edmonton Alberta T6G 1Z2
Canada
Phone: (780) 432-8898
Fax:     (780) 432-8425

unauthorized and may be illegal.
Rietdorf, Jens Rietdorf, Jens

Re: enclosure heater

Dear Carl,

If a heating controler performs to your specs will depend on the material, shape, volume and architecture of your incubator (and the ambient conditions) maybe that's why its difficult to buy a stand alone solution, because no serious manufacturer would like (and be able) to grant you the thing is working in the end.

In case you would provide the above mentioned information and the microscope type, I have no doubt folks at embl Heidelberg (embl-em.de) would provide you with their heating unit, which maintaines temp to +-0.1degC between 16 and 42 degC, provided ambient temp between 19 and 24 degC.
Of course +-0.5degC might be achievable with a lower cost solution, though be aware you will observe focus shifts with 0.5degC variations at least with >1.2 NA lenses.

Hope that helps.

regards, jens

---
Dr. Jens Rietdorf
Head Microscopy
Novartis Research Foundation
Friedrich-Miescher-Institute, wro1066.2.16 Maulbeerstr.66, CH-4058 Basel, Switzerland
phone +41(61)69-75172 mobil +41 798284737

FAX 520-621-3709
Claire Brown Claire Brown

Re: enclosure heater

You could try this reference:

Kulesa PM, Kasemeier-Kulesa JC. Construction of a Heated Incubation Chamber
around a Microscope Stage for Time-Lapse Imaging. CSH Protocols. 2007;
doi:10.1101/pdb.prot4792

Claire