software

Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell) Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell)

software

Dea all,
Does anyone know of software that selects only in focus portions of an image
and discards the out-of-focus parts.  We need to get clear views of a curved
surface (the fly eye) with a 10x objective using reflected light.  Only thin
optical slices are in focus at this mag, but if we could put together the
portions that are in focus over the entire depth of the specimen, we could
rebuild a clean image of the structure.  This wouild be a used in an assay
screening a bizillion flies, so SEM is not really practical.
thanks,
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Arizona
520-954-7053
FAX 520-621-3709
Kurt Thorn Kurt Thorn

Re: software

Hi Carl -

NIS-Elements (Nikon's software) has a tool like this - they call it
Extended Depth of Focus.  I haven't used it very much but this is
exactly what it does.

Kurt

--
Kurt Thorn, PhD
Director, Nikon Imaging Center

UCSF MC 2140
Genentech Hall Room S252
600 16th St.
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

http://nic.ucsf.edu
phone 415.514.9709
fax   415.514.4300
Luke, Steve Luke, Steve

Re: software

MetaMorph's 'Best Focus' projection does this.

Steve

FAX 520-621-3709
Glen MacDonald-2 Glen MacDonald-2

Re: software

Hi Carl,
I've used this plugin for ImageJ.  It does appear that one loses a
few gray levels in the end result, at least with this plugin and a
with commercial product to which it was compared.

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/stack-focuser.html

Regards,
Glen
Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156
[hidden email]

******
The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******

On Oct 5, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Carl Boswell wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dea all,
> Does anyone know of software that selects only in focus portions of
> an image and discards the out-of-focus parts.  We need to get clear
> views of a curved surface (the fly eye) with a 10x objective using
> reflected light.  Only thin optical slices are in focus at this
> mag, but if we could put together the portions that are in focus
> over the entire depth of the specimen, we could rebuild a clean
> image of the structure.  This wouild be a used in an assay
> screening a bizillion flies, so SEM is not really practical.
> thanks,
> Carl
>
> Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
> Molecular and Cellular Biology
> University of Arizona
> 520-954-7053
> FAX 520-621-3709
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: software

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal --
Hi Carl,

I think that's what the imageJ plugin "Stack Focuser" does.  Check it at at the imagej website:

I believe Metamorph, and possibly other software packages have similar tools, often called "Extended depth of focus" or similar

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

[...]

Rosemary.White Rosemary.White

Re: software

Dera Carl,

Most imaging packages have "extended depth of focus" modules in them these
days.

We use the small (i.e. cheap) version of AutoMontage from Syncroscopy, which
does a reasonable job, and the license dongle can be moved between
computers.  The expensive full version does a very good job but has to
remain on one computer, which can be a pain.

We've also tried the non-commercial CombineZ -
www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZM/combinezm.htm, which is good too.

cheers,
Rosemary

Dr Rosemary White               [hidden email]
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     61 (0)2-6246 5475
GPO Box 1600                       fax.     61 (0)2-6246 5334
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia

> From: Carl Boswell <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:34:55 -0700
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: software
>
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dea all,
> Does anyone know of software that selects only in focus portions of an image
> and discards the out-of-focus parts.  We need to get clear views of a curved
> surface (the fly eye) with a 10x objective using reflected light.  Only thin
> optical slices are in focus at this mag, but if we could put together the
> portions that are in focus over the entire depth of the specimen, we could
> rebuild a clean image of the structure.  This wouild be a used in an assay
> screening a bizillion flies, so SEM is not really practical.
> thanks,
> Carl
>
> Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
> Molecular and Cellular Biology
> University of Arizona
> 520-954-7053
> FAX 520-621-3709
Weis, Michael Weis, Michael

Re: software

I have been using Helicon Focus for the past year and it works very well. Here is a link with a few examples. http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

Cheers, Michael

Michael Weis
Electron Microscopy & Digital Imaging
Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
4200 Highway 97
Summerland, BC  V0H 1Z0
Telephone: 250-494-6410
Facsimile: 250-494-0755
[hidden email]

FAX 520-621-3709
Chris Tully Chris Tully

Re: software

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Carl,

You should also check out the EDF (Extended Depth of Field) tools in Image-Pro Plus and Image-Pro Express (both made by Media Cybernetics, www.mediacy.com).  Contact Media Cybernetics to find a dealer in your area, or download a demo copy of Image-Pro Express from their web site ( http://www.mediacy.com/index.aspx?page=IPEEval).

Although I no longer work for Media Cybernetics, I have worked for them in the past and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about these products.

Chris Tully, M.Sc.
Applications Engineer
Vashaw Scientific, Inc.
7429 ACC Blvd Suite 101, Raleigh, NC  27617
Voicemail & Cell: (800) 874-9986 X339
Fax: (770) 441-7837
[hidden email]
www.vashaw.com

On 10/5/07, Carl Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dea all,
Does anyone know of software that selects only in focus portions of an image
and discards the out-of-focus parts.  We need to get clear views of a curved
surface (the fly eye) with a 10x objective using reflected light.  Only thin
optical slices are in focus at this mag, but if we could put together the
portions that are in focus over the entire depth of the specimen, we could
rebuild a clean image of the structure.  This wouild be a used in an assay
screening a bizillion flies, so SEM is not really practical.
thanks,
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Arizona
520-954-7053
FAX 520-621-3709

George McNamara George McNamara

Re: software ... that selects only in focus portions of an image series to make a deep focus image

Hi Carl,

One of the earliest commercial software packages for doing this is
Meyer Instruments In-Focus,
http://www.meyerinst.com/html/oem/in-focus/default.htm (see
especially the 4 PDFs at bottom), which can optionally run a Leica
stereomicroscope Z-motor (ran inside Image Pro+, check with them on
whether it can be automated to churn through a bizillion Z-series).
Meyer also has a leica stereomicroscope turret for putting the macro
lens directly under one of the stereo lenslets, to generate vertical
views (and could have 2 macro lenses on the scope - a handy feature
since duplicated by various stereo manufacturers). One of the faculty
members at my place told me that Zeiss AxioVision has a software
module for aligning slices on a conventional stereo Z-series (she
also pointed out that the fly specimen used on the Meyer web site was
severely desiccated).

In addition to the other listserv responses, check out
http://www.dipteristsforum.org.uk/deepfocus/DeepFocus.pdf and
Goldsmith 2000 Image Analysis & Stereology, Deep Focus,
http://www.wise-t.com/ias/article.php?id=29&year=2000&issue=11
(free access for both Goldsmith and a 2007 article - maybe we should
all be publishing here).

Reindeer Graphics, the makers of the Fovea Pro plugin for Photoshop
also offer Focus Extender,
http://www.reindeergraphics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=52

The principle of all (or at least most) of these packages is the
same: run a variance filter on each plane in the stack; go through
the computed variance stack to find the highest variance plane for
each "sub-image"; use that sub-image as the result. Some of the
better software must keep track of adjacent sub-images and blend
results to make the result look nicer. Sadly, most vendors do not
implement the direct outputting of the variance data (MetaMorph may
still lack a variance command for example) or the plane number of the
selected sub-image.

George
p.s. Meyer's In-Focus worked much better than MetaMorph (version
5.0), circa 2003.

At 07:34 PM 10/5/2007, you wrote:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Dea all,
>Does anyone know of software that selects only in focus portions of
>an image and discards the out-of-focus parts.  We need to get clear
>views of a curved surface (the fly eye) with a 10x objective using
>reflected light.  Only thin optical slices are in focus at this mag,
>but if we could put together the portions that are in focus over the
>entire depth of the specimen, we could rebuild a clean image of the
>structure.  This wouild be a used in an assay screening a bizillion
>flies, so SEM is not really practical.
>thanks,
>Carl
>
>Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
>Molecular and Cellular Biology
>University of Arizona
>520-954-7053
>FAX 520-621-3709

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]